Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Drinking Wine??  (Read 24989 times)

Offline Sandra

Drinking Wine??
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:20:21 pm »
Is it ok to drink the occasional glass of wine if you have Hep C.  When I say occasional I mean 1-2 glasses of wine a week.

Offline badbradley

Re: Drinking Wine??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:31:44 pm »
  NO!
Geno 1a
Sov/Oly 12wks - relapse
Har/Riba 12wks
Alt-16  Ast-17 SVR - 12
Alt-15  Ast-14 SVR - 24

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:03 pm »
What BadBradley said "NO"!!!!!

It's complete poison to you, might as well just drink some bleach....
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline JillLynn

• contracted 1973/ peg/rib 1999 & 2004/on harvoni
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 01:28:01 pm »
Hi Brenda.
I haven't drank in 35 years.
My neighbor who was recently cured after 2 tries with treatment,  drank wine his whole life.....in moderation.
So I don't know......I can't handle alcohol but he drank a couple glasses of wine and had HCV for 40 years (same as me and we are the same age).....His liver was NO worse than mine and I never drink alcohol.  so who's to say........I know most will say no drinking.   just saying I know my neighbor drank wine in moderation like you are mentioning  and it didn't make his liver any worse than mine with no alcohol.   

He is also cured now for 6 months and even had a martini a few mos. ago.
Will I?  NO.....If I could stop at 2 glasses of wine I sure would......but I've never been able to stop at 2 since I was 19 years old so I "ain't" gonna try it now.

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 04:29:49 pm »
Hi Brenda,

As a general rule, those with HCV should not drink. This is especailly true if you have liver disease.

Research consistently demonstrates that alcohol can accelerate liver damage in HCV infected persons. The bulk of the research was conducted on heavy drinkers  2+ drinks per day. However, research has been conducted on moderate drinkers (1 drink per day) with adverse results noted.

In your case, you would be considered a very light drinker, with only 1-2 drinks per week. I haven't found any research relating to this particular  group and HCV; but, as a rule of thumb, better safe than sorry.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Bucky

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 04:36:37 pm »
Is it ok to drink the occasional glass of wine if you have Hep C.  When I say occasional I mean 1-2 glasses of wine a week.

Sandra,
You have to say NO to any alcohol period. As my dear Mel said, it is poison especially to you liver.
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline Sandra

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 08:35:04 am »
Thanks for all the replies I am not a big drinker so I will say no to any wine just to be sure... thanks again :)

Offline emmett

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 04:49:10 am »
I stopped drinking the day my doctor told me I had HEPC, funny thing was I didn't feel good after I drank but that was after a couple beers or glasses of wine, a small amount had no effect on me.

A couple years later I mentioned to my doctor that I wished I could enjoy wine again and she asked if there were a lot of things I wished I could do again followed by a caution to relax and enjoy life, have a glass of wine if you want one. My doctor and I had a great relationship and she knew I did not abuse drugs or alcohol in my present or past so maybe she was correct when she told me to relax, one has to live life without so much fear and I already knew moderation. I was invited to a cabin that a friend of mine was lucky enough to have secured for a few of us, the owner was away and the thought of being in the mountains was glorious. My partner brought a 400 dollar bottle of wine and I have never in my life had the luck to open a bottle that was in that price category but I remembered my doctor's advice and decided to have about 1/3 of a glass, in a beautiful cabin surrounded by friends. I was amazed how wonderful the flavor, it was delicious and I'll never forget the taste but I had no need or desire for  more.

I had a friend from India about 10 years ago, he had a beautiful home with all the trappings but slept on the wooden floor, I don't remember why he told me this but he was  one of the most interesting men I've ever met, always smiling and enjoying life, full of questions for me and and genuine interest in my life. One day I asked him why he had all the nice furniture and traditional western bed, he told me the bed was for guests and he couldn't change the way he slept for so many years followed by his usual big smile and wonderful visual effects of making a muscle in his finger and telling me the wooden floor built his muscles up better than a soft bed. Sam was a monk at one time, a yogi and then followed Christianity for a few years...I think what he was was, was a man that truly experienced life. Sam showed me so many ways to exercise when I didn't feel well and dietary advice when I'd moan about feeling ill and they were all so simple followed by a smile and a closeness by sitting nearby in a way that was always so calming to me. Sam never gave advice unless I asked and I surely didn't have any advice to give this sage of a man but one day he asked me how meat tasted and I had no simple answer so we went out and he had his very first taste of beef. I asked Sam how the meat was and he told me it was delicious, I thought that he would start to eat meat on a regular basis but after some time went by and I never saw him partake of the flesh I asked why. My friend had a life changing answer for me of why he would not eat meat again and here is what he told me, "The meat was very good but I no longer need to eat it, I can bring the taste to my mind and palate whenever I want, it is here within me". That was a rather weird statement for a young man raised with Western thought but I never forgot it and often dwelled on it, I finally understood his thoughts when I drank that wonderful wine, I didn't need another glass or another bottle, I could drink a minimal amount and the flavor, the experience would always be with me to recall and to taste again if I wished...I can taste it now :-).

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 08:55:21 am »
Emmett,

Thank you for sharing your story, it really touched a something inside me :)

Now, I need to figure out how to make that work with Ice Cream!

Mel
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline ak

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 11:33:06 am »
Emmett, Great story..It touched me as well... thank you for sharing..

Offline emmett

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 12:58:22 am »
Emmett, Great story..It touched me as well... thank you for sharing..
One scoop at a time, :-)

Offline Sandra

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 11:55:30 am »
Thanks for sharing great story. 

Offline LindaBalz

• FB
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 09:19:18 am »
What BadBradley said "NO"!!!!!

It's complete poison to you, might as well just drink some bleach....

If it were that bad for you in moderation, why was it Jesus first recorded miracle in the bible and Paul says uses some for stomach problems?
John 2:3-11;   1 Timothy 5:23
Moderation is key> if choose not to drink it, DONT.

LB
LB

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 04:05:10 pm »
If it were that bad for you in moderation, why was it Jesus first recorded miracle in the bible and Paul says uses some for stomach problems?
John 2:3-11;   1 Timothy 5:23
Moderation is key> if choose not to drink it, DONT.

LB

Joke, right? 
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.