Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:50:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 74
Total: 74

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Infection opportunity - likelihood?  (Read 10594 times)

Offline worried89

Infection opportunity - likelihood?
« on: November 17, 2014, 12:27:59 am »
Hello all.

I previously had a similar question answered but would like your thoughts on this...

As mentioned before, I am a law enforcement officer and while dealing with a definitely hep c positive male several nights ago I was hit by a speck of spit on the slightly inner side of my upper lip, as he was shouting towards me.

He was bleeding from a head wound however this was to the side of his head and I wasn't aware of any of his blood in his saliva, although I'm assuming there is a chance there was.

There were no clearly fresh wounds on my lips that I was aware of at the time.

Excuse my ignorance and anxiety but am I at risk of infection? If so, can you provide a rough estimation of how likely and is it worth while getting tested? I probably will do so for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Mike

Re: Infection opportunity - likelihood?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 02:52:41 pm »
Hi Worried89,

I think you're risk for contracting HCV  is very, very low. HCV is spread by direct blood-to-blood or blood-to-membrane contact. Given the scenario you presented, I would say you have a minuscule chance of infection (note, minuscule is not zero).

As I understand it, there is mandatory testing for individuals who potentially expose law enforcement, EMTs and medical professionals to contractual diseases. In other words, the individual who spat on you can be legally mandated to be tested for HCV, HIV, TB et. el.

For your comfort, you can demand this be done. You may also want to be tested for the infection in 12-24 weeks for a greater piece of mind.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Bucky

Re: Infection opportunity - likelihood?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:40:16 pm »
Hello all.

I previously had a similar question answered but would like your thoughts on this...

As mentioned before, I am a law enforcement officer and while dealing with a definitely hep c positive male several nights ago I was hit by a speck of spit on the slightly inner side of my upper lip, as he was shouting towards me.

He was bleeding from a head wound however this was to the side of his head and I wasn't aware of any of his blood in his saliva, although I'm assuming there is a chance there was.

There were no clearly fresh wounds on my lips that I was aware of at the time.

Excuse my ignorance and anxiety but am I at risk of infection? If so, can you provide a rough estimation of how likely and is it worth while getting tested? I probably will do so for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance!

When I was employes by NC DHHS, if there was a breach of the BBP protocol then we had a ID blood draw after the event, three months and then at six months since that is the clinical time for someone to develop HIV antibodies.
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.