Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:57:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AbbVie-Gilead Hep-C Battle? Express Scripts  (Read 10307 times)

Offline Katie

AbbVie-Gilead Hep-C Battle? Express Scripts
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:44:42 pm »

I have been checking on ABBVie battle between Express scrips and Gilead and it doesn't look good.  If you GOOGLE it there are numerous sites.  I have included a blog that gives a quick summary but be sure to read the comments.  Money once again is making decisions on patient's health care forcing doctors to choose an inferior product.  Evidently it is still a cure for GT 1a but multiple pills are required and the dreaded side effects return.  We need to pay attention as I am sure this will affect the approvals by insurance companies for Harvoni.  This takes affect January 1, 2015 but saw on another site that those already being treated will not be affected.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2014/12/22/the-winner-of-the-abbvie-gilead-hep-c-battle-express-scripts/
1 year post treatment blood work done and I am FREE!
GT 1a (4/1/2016)
Dx 2005
VL 2.6 million (fluctuated from 2-16 million during the 9 years)
Started Tx 12/4/2014 for 12 weeks
4 week blood work  Detected 59 IU/mL
EOT Detected <12 IU/mL
7.5 weeks post  Undetected
16 week post Undetected
24 WEEK POST UNDETECTED (I made it)
Waiting to feel good but feeling blessed!
12 month post treatment.  All blood work absolutely perfect! VL, as expected UNDETECTED!

Offline Rae

Re: AbbVie-Gilead Hep-C Battle? Express Scripts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:18:03 pm »
I saw similar articles and I am slated to start harvoni in March. I feel much the way you do and I'm nervous thyat Medicare will turn down the harvoni script. Hopefully, harvoni will come down in price. I really don't want all those other drugs. I've waited 7 years to be treated by something with few sides and high rate od success.

Offline Katie

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »
Hi Rae,  It seems the pharmaceutical companies are now deciding what medication patients should receive by playing games with the insurance companies.  Basically bribing them for an exclusive contract.  Something is very wrong with that.  Greed; the problem with our healthcare system and our country as a whole.  Sad

Hope it doesn't affect your treatment.  I too waited over 10 years for a treatment that worked on 1a and didn't have horrible side effects so I understand.  I am not familiar with Express Scripts so don't know if that will directly affect Medicare but someone else on the forum may know.

Good luck to you.  Glad you found this site as it is very supporting and lots of good info here!
Happy Holidays!
Katie
GT 1a (4/1/2016)
Dx 2005
EOT Detected <12 IU/mL
16 week post Undetected
12 month post treatment.  All blood work absolutely perfect! VL, as expected UNDETECTED!

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 02:41:20 pm »
Here's our coverage of the agreement between AbbVie and Express Scripts...

Major Pharmacy Group Will Prioritize AbbVie’s Hep C Regimen
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/AbbVie_Express_Scripts_2501_26612.shtml

The pharmacy benefit manager Express Scripts has announced that it will only reimburse for AbbVie’s hepatitis C virus regimen and not for HCV drugs from Gilead Sciences or Janssen for people with genotype 1 of the virus, The New York Times reports. Express Scripts, which serves 25 million people, has negotiated a lower price for AbbVie’s just-approved Viekira Pak regimen, apparently heralding a new era of pricing competition in the fast-changing hep C drug market. In addition, the company will agree to pay for Vikira Pak treatment for all HCV-positive people, not just those with advanced liver disease—big news, as many state Medicaid programs and prison systems have been restricting coverage.

Offline Katie

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »
Be sure to click on the complete report to get the full information on Iana5252 link. 

There are some positives, however the discount in price doesn't seem to be adequate to eliminate other treatments which should be up to the doctor and patient.  In fact I don't see that kind of power to be acceptable in any case.  I also always wonder why they chose to provide it to foreign countries at half price and gouge Americans, their fellow citizens?  It is all about money even if they say it is doing the patients a service.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:24:15 pm by Katie »
GT 1a (4/1/2016)
Dx 2005
EOT Detected <12 IU/mL
16 week post Undetected

Offline penny

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05:24 pm »
Under the table deals are not acceptable.......sux

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.