Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 84
Total: 85

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: might have hep c, off parents insurance, how do i precede?  (Read 10092 times)

Offline ijustdontknow

might have hep c, off parents insurance, how do i precede?
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:40:00 pm »
I am 26 and off my parents insurance policy as of January 1st 2014.  I currently went to a gastroenterologist because i have been having left abdominal pains and my liver enzymes were elevated AST=68 ALT=170 and now Dr. wants to do a hepatic liver function panel test, i have a follow up appointment for my colonoscopy i had done on Monday (same Dr.) on the 29th , i am wondering about if i get the blood testing that day and i get a hepatitis C diagnosis before i get heath insurance, would that make it harder/ more expensive to get private insurance, should i hold off a couple weeks until i am covered by a insurance plan, or do the testing on the 29th while I'm still covered on parent's policy? I believe i may have hep c because my sister is iv drug user and she left a top of one of her needles on the floor in our house a while back in i got stuck by it, i was worried but tried to forget about it until my elevated liver enzymes came back ab-normal.  Can some one please give me some advice/direction i could sure use some help right now. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:15:14 pm by ijustdontknow »

Offline RiseUp

Re: might have hep c, off parents insurance, how do i precede?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:34:13 pm »
Welcome ijustdontknow, Just peruse the forum and you will get some helpful information. I think it is possible to have elevated liver enzymes and not have Hep C.  Good luck at the Doc's
started Harvoni 12/17 (12wks)
dx 1997 1a (3,900,000)
infected early 70's
infergen 1997
interferon & riba 1999 and 2000
liver bio 2/4
started riba feb 4th
undetected vl feb 10th
finished 12wks mar 10
extended to 24 weeks

Offline ijustdontknow

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:36:24 pm »
Thank you, Should i hold off on the blood testing until i have new insurance or should i do it now under my parents insurance and possibly be having to find insurance with a new hepatitis C diagnosis?

Offline ijustdontknow

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:55:16 pm »
Well my liver enzymes are back to normal AST= 28 ALT=23 range but i tested reactive to the Hepatitis C antibody, had second part of the Hep C test done today, I am accepting this i guess, I don't know how else to feel, I was so scared a nervous for a month that I think I've kind of prepared myself for a diagnosis, shitty luck that this all had to show up at the end of my parents insurance coverage, I guess that's how life goes.

(sorry i don't know if i should respond twice in a row, i didn't want to start a new thread)

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:45:24 pm »
One of the provisions in the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) is that insurers are no longer allowed to exclude  or charge a higher premium if you have preexisting conditions (in your case, possibly Hep-C).

The only medical questions you can be asked is your age, sex and if you are a smoker/tobacco user (in which case, you will be pay a premium surcharge for using tobacco).

Hope this helps, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline ijustdontknow

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:17:12 pm »
Mike thank you for responding that does help.

Offline Feetfried

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »
Obamacare paying hep c treatment. 

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.