Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:25:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 98
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: If I'm cured, what happens to my SSDI?  (Read 9169 times)

Offline straycat

If I'm cured, what happens to my SSDI?
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:01:06 pm »
I'm 62 yrs old and have been on SSDI since 1998 for hep C.  I now have cirrhosis and other medical problems.  I have the chance to take Harvoni and clear the virus.  My question is, if I'm cured of the hep C what will happen to my SSDI?  A friend of mine (in his mid 50's) had kidney failure, was on SSDI, and after he had a transplant he was no longer considered disabled and his benefits stopped.  At this point I'm unemployable due to my age and not having any skill sets left after being out of the workforce for so long (I was a nurse).  I have no family to help me.  I'm afraid to go ahead with treatment because it might cause me serious hardship financially if I were cured.  What a weird problem to have, huh?  Feedback, please!
GT 1b Fibrosis Stage 4
NAG Significant activity (inflammation score)
VL  2,880,000 IU/ml pre-tx
1970ish nonA-nonB hep, dx HCV 1994
IFN failed - autoimmune response
Started Harvoni (24 wks) 7/25/2015
VL 8/25/15  zero virus detected
AST/ALT 27/24
VL zero 1/2016 post-tx

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: If I'm cured, what happens to my SSDI?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:10:22 pm »
Having hep C is not a condition for disability, whereas cirrhosis often is. Treatment often does not change the fact that you have cirrhosis. It may arrest it, and prevent the horrible things that occur as a result. Rarely it reverses it.

Yes, weird problem to have. I see it like this:
1) Don't treat - life can get truly awful (risk of liver cancer, advanced cirrhosis, death, liver transplant)
2) Treat - life may stay the same, or get truly awful but at a much slower rate
3) Treat - life might get better, in which case, you will have the stamina to face this decision. Nurse to nurse, they are using people our age to do a lot of education, advice lines, etc. Cross that bridge if you come to it.

As for disability, you can expect to keep it for awhile. even if you have improvement, it is a slow process.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:31:14 pm »
Hi  straycat,

It would be unlikely that you would lose your SSDI benefits if you clear the virus.

Simply put, you were awarded SSDI based on the residual effects caused by HCV - not because you have HCV (i.e., cirrhosis and other health concerns).

In addition, other factors are considered when awarding and continuing on SSDI. Factors like residual functional capacities and how these relate to competitive, sustained employment; transferable work skills; educational development and; an ability to return to remunerative employment within your past, relevant work history.

All these factors were considered when SSDI was awarded to you in 1998.

Clearing the virus may improve your quality of life; however it will not mitigate the other factors used in determining unemployability.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline straycat

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 06:55:23 pm »
Thanks for the pep talk, Lucinda!  And thank you Mike for explaining/reminding me of the SSDI guidelines.  It's been so long I've forgotten the basics of it all.  My mind is much more at ease now  :)
GT 1b Fibrosis Stage 4
NAG Significant activity (inflammation score)
VL  2,880,000 IU/ml pre-tx
1970ish nonA-nonB hep, dx HCV 1994
IFN failed - autoimmune response
Started Harvoni (24 wks) 7/25/2015
VL 8/25/15  zero virus detected
AST/ALT 27/24
VL zero 1/2016 post-tx

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 06:59:13 pm »
Hi Straycat,

You'll be fine and I would start treatment ASAP.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.