Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:44:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 109
Total: 109

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone get Hep C from a Pedicure  (Read 14907 times)

Offline Sandra

Anyone get Hep C from a Pedicure
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:31:14 pm »
Hello I contracted Hep C from a pedicure in April 2013.  I had Pegasys only treatment for 6 months and since the 4 week mark it was undetected and even after 6 months post treatment undetected which was in June 2014 .  In November I wasnt feeling well and went back to doctor they ran another RNA and now its detected the Dr has never seen this before.  Has anyone else experienced this before I am so scared.

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Re: Anyone get Hep C from a Pedicure
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:04:43 pm »
Hi Sandra,

First off, welcome to the forum. I understand how scared you must be and I can relate to that feeling.

Did I get my Hep C from a pedicure or from a transfusion at age 14? I don't think I will ever know for sure and honestly it doesn't matter. I just need to get better and so do you! The new treatments are amazing, you didn't mention anything about your genotype or viral load so I think that's important for you to find out.

As far as this beast coming back, well unfortunately it has happened to others, all it takes is one teeny tiny undetectable cell for it to start replicating itself. It's a persistent beast and not easy to get rid of. 

With Harvoni and Sovaldi/Olysio and the new Abbie V due to be released any time you will have some options and between you, your GT and you doctor you will figure out what the next step is for you. Please know that these do not have the same type of sides from the "old" treatments.

We are all here with you and all of us can relate and will help to support you through this battle.

Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Sandra

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:16:27 pm »
Aww thanks for the response, Last year my ALT was 1100 and now its normal range and my viral load is 2 million so not too high.  I do have symptoms headache, tired, and brain fog.  My Dr wants me to take Harvoni so now I am just waiting to see if everything would be covered by insurance because there is no way I can afford that price tag.

Offline Sandra

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:18:31 pm »
Forgot to mention my genotype is 1.  It figures the hardest one to get rid of too :(

Offline BattleTheBeast

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:06:46 pm »
Forgot to mention my genotype is 1.  It figures the hardest one to get rid of too :(

Actually Sandra it's the most common in the US and exactly what I have as well :). I am currently undetected and going through treatment. Stay positive!

Mel
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Sandra

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:36:26 am »
Thanks Mel I am trying to stay positive... I am just waiting to hear back if I am approved for Harvoni.

Offline BattleTheBeast

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 08:44:34 am »
Thanks Mel I am trying to stay positive... I am just waiting to hear back if I am approved for Harvoni.

Don't be surprised if they decline you at first and your doctor has to fight for it for you. Sad to say this seems to be the norm these days. Stay strong, take good care of yourself and your liver by watching your diet.

Not sure who your insurance or Specialty Pharmacy is but we have found some tools here to help if you get stuck just share that information and perhaps someone with the same Pharma/Ins can give you some hints.

I am crossing all body parts in hopes that you get the Harvoni approved soon!

Mel~
~Mel~

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Sandra

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 09:14:03 am »
Thanks I live in Canada so my insurance is different than the States.  Thanks again Mel for everything :)

Offline Sandra

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:19:18 am »
They are covering the cost of the drug :)
Thank god!!!

Offline badbradley

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:00:07 pm »
Hi SAndra      Great news! Let us know when you start and hope you have a successful SVR!
                      Brad
Geno 1a
Sov/Oly 12wks - relapse
Har/Riba 12wks
Alt-16  Ast-17 SVR - 12
Alt-15  Ast-14 SVR - 24

Offline Sandra

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 01:54:32 pm »
Thanks everyone just have to finish paperwork and will probably be starting some time in January.  I have knee surgery January 12 so maybe start the week after I hope.  I just hope the side effects are too bad... thinking positive!!

Offline Kitchenerunlucky

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 09:59:01 am »
Hey Sandra,

I live in Canada as well, Which province do you live ? As I know, different province has different insurance coverage.

If you have been covered by private insurance, do you need pre-authorization from insurance company?

Thanks.

Offline Sandra

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 11:56:39 am »
Sorry just saw this now I live on Ontario.

Offline Kitchenerunlucky

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:10 pm »
Hi Sandra,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I live in Ontario as well, hope that my insurance from company will cover the medication.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.