Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:49:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 67
Total: 68

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here.  (Read 16584 times)

Offline Red Hen

Hi, I'm new here.
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:13:49 am »
Not sure how posting here works. I'm type 1A. Currently on the 12th week of the recently approved Viekira meds plus ribovirin. My Hep C virus has been undetectable since the 3rd week of taking this drug combo. We'll see how it goes post treatment! Yes, I'm nervous about this but I think the odds are good that things will turn out well.
genotype 1a
completed 12 weeks Viekira pak and ribavirin
final results due around the end of April
Undetected 12 weeks post treatment!

Offline Mike

Re: Hi, I'm new here.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:15 pm »
Hi Red Hen,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you're almost done with treatment and have good results.

I would expect an SVR12 (cure), as the chance is 95% or greater. Those are excellent odds!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 05:08:17 pm »
Yes, excellent odds! Thanks!
genotype 1a

Offline yag1064

• Enjoy the life you have.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 01:08:18 pm »
Welcome,
    Congratulations. I am at my 6 months after the end of treatment. I was given Solvaldi. I was U/D after 3wks. I am looking forward to taking this blood work. I was told by my GI that if I was U/D in so short a time that the likelihood of reinfection was rare, unless my lifestyle put me in harms way. I believe this to be true. I don't know all the reasons why people get reinfected. It will be satisfying to know the virus is gone, but it is not necessary. I have changed. And ironically those changes were a result of the virus. So I have learned "Not to believe everything I think". Get in touch with your body and mind. This synchronicity is human. And above all how to live the life I was given.
    Best Wishes,
         Rick
Tested positive 2007
Non respond-er to treatment 16wk of 48wk
Started I/R/Sol May 2014
Hep C returned as of Jan 2015
Started Harvoni Sep 16, 2015
1st Test V/L:20
2nd Test V/L: undetectable
Dec 2015 EOT V/L undetectable
12 wk SVR :undetectable  Mar 25,2016
24 wk SVR: undetectable  Jun 24,2016
52 wk SVR undetectable   Dec 16,2016   -- I,m past it!!!
Shambhala

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 03:43:42 pm »
Thanks, Rick. Yes, this condition and the process of treatment has changed me, too. I think I have become more realistic. Some would say "more positive" but I'm not sure about that. Maybe less pessimistic!
genotype 1a

Offline yag1064

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 04:23:46 pm »
Your positive energy was there when you bravely accepted treatment. It is there when you accept your life as it is, and have the courage to move forward with no guarantees. May we all ride the waves of life and fare well. Nice to have you as a member of our group.
Tested positive 2007
Started I/R/Sol May 2014
Shambhala

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 05:11:47 pm »
Again, thanks, Rick. I'm glad to be posting here. When I remember how frightened I got from reading Hep C stuff on the internet it is good motivation not to spread more anxiety! I also don't go for false cheerfulness. (grin)
genotype 1a

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 11:23:28 pm »
Again, thanks, Rick. I'm glad to be posting here. When I remember how frightened I got from reading Hep C stuff on the internet it is good motivation not to spread more anxiety! I also don't go for false cheerfulness. (grin)
Indeed there is nothing to be laughed at about HCV. Therefore making good fun out of fear is the way I deal with the anxiety it causes in daily life.

I my case having an HCV 1a infection that did not respond to treatment the first time did not cause me to consider a funny-boneectomomy. Though it might very well make me consider having a colonoscopy which can be a royal pain even if you have a sense of humor! 

Please do not take offense if I make some silly statements in my posts. 

On the serious side of the equation;

It is great that you are responding well to treatment and there will be more treatment options that can be considered functional cures for this affliction. Here is hoping that 2015 is the first year of what turns out to be the start of an eradication of this insidious disease grouping which directly and indirectly effect so many world wide.

Greetings
Eric

Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline yag1064

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 11:57:50 pm »
well said Mike. I believe we have turned the corner on this thing that has caused so much pain and suffering. Here to a bright new year and the end of HEP...
Tested positive 2007
Started I/R/Sol May 2014
Shambhala

Offline yag1064

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 12:01:10 am »
Well said Eric. My eyes say a different name. My apology.
Tested positive 2007
Started I/R/Sol May 2014
Shambhala

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 11:50:57 am »
Hi, Eric. I, too, think 2015 will be a good year for Hep C cures!
genotype 1a

Offline Daddysgirl

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 03:26:02 pm »
That sounds real good for you awesome new drugs for this terrible virus.

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 06:22:34 pm »
If you have to have hepatitis c, this is a good time for it. Lots of new drugs and new awareness.
genotype 1a

Offline 1whonose

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 06:16:19 pm »
Hi I am new here.  My name is Jeanette and my husband was diagnose last May with Hep C.  I want to learn and understand what he will be going through when he starts the Harvoni.  Any advice anyone can give me I will appreciate. 

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 01:57:35 am »
Hi Jeanette

I just started week 9 of Harvoni. Most have minimal side effects most common are mild headaches and some tiredness. How many weeks will he be taking Harvoni? Those with less liver damage may take 8 to 12 weeks while those with cirrhosis take 24 weeks.

Good luck to you both
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 03:32:21 pm »
Hi, Jeanette. It isn't easy to be the spouse of someone going through hep c treatment. I'm speaking for my husband who has to put up with me! We were both relieved that my symptoms were not as bad as I thought they might be. One thing that is difficult for us is my lack of energy when it comes to socializing. I just don't have any stamina. If possible, it helps to keep social visits fairly short...for me that is no more than 2 hours. Try to get out by yourself or with your friends when you can. Wishing you both good luck.
genotype 1a

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 02:00:29 am »
Hi I am new here.  My name is Jeanette and my husband was diagnose last May with Hep C.  I want to learn and understand what he will be going through when he starts the Harvoni.  Any advice anyone can give me I will appreciate.
I cannot speak for my spouse, but I am certain dealing with me being diagnosed with HCV genotype 1a for over 20 years has been very trying for her.  At times I considered giving her freedom. But her love, understanding and care have essentially made my life worth living.

As a man I know he will be feeling inadequate, will Man UP and get tough about any symptoms. In reality he most likely fears the disease and will go through a great deal of emotions that can be very hard on the ego.

My ego is a bruised shadow of what it once was because of HCV infection, a failed treatment and the stigma attached to having HCV and feeling like you are a walking bio-hazard.

Let him treat and pamper you and put up with his need to be needed, help him with jumping through the hoops of his medical treatment. Tell him not to worry and in so doing lose the daily joy of the little things in life.

I know it was a tight rope walk for my spouse helping me to remain sane dealing with this disease over the years.

I sincerely hope that he and therefore you both are set free quickly by Harvoni from the burdens that my spouse and myself have shouldered because of my HCV infection.

I am currently on Harvoni and so far it is life changing and a true wonder drug. But without the help and understanding of a beautiful gracious women who is my life partner I am certain things would have been almost impossible for me!

Sincere best wishes in helping your spouse through this situation.
Eric

Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline 1whonose

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 04:05:29 pm »
Thank you all for your responds.  They all helped me to understand my husband.  A close friend of his has turned her back on him.  When she found out he was diagnosed with HCV she ended the friendship and they were friends before I met him.  That hurt him deeply.  I read that this is common.  He really thought that I was going to walk out on him too.  I told him "no way"  for better or worse!  Watching him go through this breaks my heart.  Plus being denied the Harvoni by his insurance company put a sting on it all.  And finding out that his doctor didn't put in an appeal really upset him.  I keep telling him that I believe he will get the Having and will be cured.  They told him that his liver isn't bad because it is at F2, vitals 3 million.  A touch of chirrois,  What ever that means.  The insurance company says his liver needs to be at F3-4.  He has thyroids problems because of the HCV.  He has been taking medication for that.  He is not happy at this time.  Not only that but when he does get it his deductible will be $6,000.  From the research I understand that he can be cured in 8 weeks.  Again Thank you all for your encouragement.  I am here for the long haul and I will not give up on him or the insurance company!!  God bless all of you!! :)

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 06:31:11 pm »
Hi, Jeanette. You sound like a great spouse and friend. So sad to hear about all the problems your husband is encountering. If the insurance company won't go for Harvoni they might approve Viekira-pak. Also, if his doctor isn't being supportive he might want to employ a different doctor. Hang in there and keep trying!
genotype 1a

Offline 1whonose

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 07:17:55 pm »
Thank you Red Hen.  I do love this man.  We will get through this.  Thank you for your respond.  I will keep doing what I need to do to get him through this.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 08:51:21 pm »
Would also like to add friends stand by you in times of trouble not drop you like you mentioned. So his old friend was not a true friend and also very ignorant about hep c. Do you walk away when your friend has cancer? So sorry his so called friend treated him that way but apparently they were not a TRUE friend.

When something like this comes along you find out who your true friends are.

Harvoni has a web site my support path

http://www.mysupportpath.com

They provide copay support so your copay could be less than 5 dollars and also under certain circumstances pay for the meds.

Odds are as your husband does not have cirrhosis which is defined as F4 fibrosis that his insurance wants him to take Viekira Pak. There have been good results with Viekira Pak and as long as he is GT 1 and has no counterindications he can take that instead of Harvoni

Best of luck to you both
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 10:49:26 am »
I agree with Lynn K about friends. I told very few friends about my hep c until I had started on a treatment. Fortunately, I found most to be supportive to the best of their ability. The first friend I told, outside of my immediate family, is very much against any type of Western medicine and I told her she had to agree not to suggest that I use a pendulum or something. She agreed and then proceeded to recommend milk thistle and other herbs. We both had to laugh. What other people think has more to do with them than with you. ;)
genotype 1a

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.