Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: to treat or not to treat  (Read 8757 times)

Offline amh

to treat or not to treat
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:43:34 pm »
I have hepc geo 3 for over 35 years. Right now my liver is functioning normally but my viral load is in the high range.
My dr wants me to go on solvaldi/ribo (sp) for 24 weeks but to be perfectly frank I am scared. I work a very demanding full time job and I have to work. Will I be able to work while undergoing treatment? I have heard so many different stories on the side effects. Are they really that bad? I do want to be hep c free and I have to make a decision soon. Next year our insurance will change and I eont be able to afford the meds so I feel now is the time. I welcom anyone's thoughts opinions or experience of their treatment. Thank you.

Offline CE

• Genotype 3. Sovaldi & Ribavirin 24 weeks.
Re: to treat or not to treat
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:17:21 pm »
Hi amh,
You are in the right place for support! I, too am geno3, had hepc for 35 years. I, too, have a demanding full time job and could not afford to slack in it and had to remain sharp. I too, was afraid to start treatment after hearing horror stories about the old treatments. I started Sovaldi/riba on Nov 1st. I am in my 11th week of 24. I never missed a beat!! I remain active, alert, and highly productive. My side affects are mostly dry skin and eyes. My hemoglobin dropped pretty low in the beginning causing me a bit more fatigue, but nothing unmanageable. It is improving now. Although each person here is different with the affects of their treatments, you will learn from their experiences and get the support you need at this time. You can do this! Treatment has come a long way. No better time like the present! Best wishes to you!
Chris
Chris :)
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
Most likely from blood transfusion in 1978
Treatment started November 2014
Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks
End of treatment April 2015
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!
Cured!!!! Praise the Lord!!

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:03:51 pm »
Hi, amh. I am genotype 1A and almost done with 12 weeks Viekira pak with ribavirin. My first thought is, if you can afford the meds now, do it! In my experience, the side effects may bother you sometimes and you might need to slow down when necessary but it isn't nearly as scary as it seems before you do it. It sounds like your doctor thinks you should go for the treatment now. Before I started my treatment I thought I would be bed-ridden and unable to do anything for the whole time. Not true! I know side effects are different for everybody, though. I suggest that if you decide to do the treatment you should line up as much support as you can ahead of time. Not sure what that would mean for you but it could be just telling a trusted family member or friend that you might need some help. Good luck on your journey!
genotype 1a
completed 12 weeks Viekira pak and ribavirin
final results due around the end of April
Undetected 12 weeks post treatment!

Offline amh

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »

thanks for the words of encouragement.   I spoke with my DR today and gave them the go ahead to start the process.  Now begins the waiting game to see if my insurance will actually approve treatment. 
If I am approved I feel this forum will be extremely helpful to me while I am undergoing treatment.   

Offline Red Hen

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:57:10 pm »
Great! Hope all goes well with your insurance. Let us know how you're doing.
genotype 1a
completed 12 weeks Viekira pak and ribavirin
final results due around the end of April
Undetected 12 weeks post treatment!

Offline kate0b1

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 06:24:39 am »
amh, jump in we are here. Nice to meet you

kate

Offline Long_Haul

• Slayed the Dragon
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 09:49:50 am »
Good decision AMH, you won't regret getting rid of this terrible disease before it does you more harm.

Good luck, great people here for support.  Definitely let us know how you are doing as you start TX.

AL
Genotype 1A

Diagnosed 1989
Biopsy-cirrhosis stage 4 2000, no starting VL this round

3 rounds of Int+Rib
(Combo/48wks,Peg/26 Wks,Triple with Incivek/16wks)
UND with Incivek, Relapsed
Started 12 weeks Harvoni and Rib Jan 2nd,2015
4 weeks Undetected
8 weeks Undetected!
EOT at 12 weeks Undetected
EOT at 24 weeks STILL UNDETECTED
Completed TX Mar 26th,2015

EOT plus 4 weeks UNDETECTED
EOT plus 12 weeks UNDETECTED !!!!!!!!!!! I am DONE!

NO LONGER a member of the "WAITING GANG"

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.