Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:20:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 138
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting Harvoni  (Read 7334 times)

Offline suec

Starting Harvoni
« on: January 18, 2015, 10:57:08 am »
Is anyone taking metformin for type 2 diabetes with harvoni? wondering about other vitamins, milkthistle and antibiotic if necessary while on treatment? thanks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Starting Harvoni
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:05:09 pm »
A good place to check for potential drug interactions is http://www.hep-druginteractions.org/interactions.aspx However, a potential interaction isn't always bad and it does not mean to stop taking meds just because they may interact. 

There is a potential interaction with metformin, so check with your doc and pharmacist about how much time you need if any between taking these meds. In this case, the interaction may merely mean that your blood glucose will need more frequently monitoring.

When I was on Harvoni, I stopped all herbs and the only supplements I took were a mulitvitamin with no iron, vit D, and calcium. I took these at lunch and dinner - my Harvoni at breakfast. 

Antibiotics are generally OK, but you need to look up the specific drug to be sure
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
Re: Starting Harvoni
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:18:57 am »
Is anyone taking metformin for type 2 diabetes with harvoni? wondering about other vitamins, milkthistle and antibiotic if necessary while on treatment? thanks
A great many things effect the liver in many different ways including common spices such as tumeric which has the compound berbarine which is know to be quickly taken up by the liver. On the west coast of N. America there is a natural wild ginger which has many different chemical properties some of which could in theory adversely interact with some drugs. St Johns Wort is a well known folk medicine that can have adverse reactions to certain drugs such as ribaviron and is contra-indicated while you are on treatment with Harvoni which contains a similar viral inhibitor to ribaviron.

Some mushrooms that are used in Chinese medicine are contra-indicated and could effect the efficacy of your treatment because compounds within them could cancel out the active compounds in many medications.

There are compounds in many common seasonings that in large enough quantities would be dangerous to eat, nutmeg being one that could cause liver failure if used in large enough quantity.

Essentially many common food seasonings and even some vegetables are toxic if taken to excess and knowing what will react and what level is safe is not a simple matter.

In conclusion it is far better to not take chances on having an unknown reaction happen when you are taking any strong medication like the ones used to treat HCV or to experiment with folk remedies while in treatment that is proven to work while the individual eats normally.

Over the years I have found the folk remedies have not killed me but they certainly did not do anything to aid in the elimination of HCV from my body!

I am not at all saying there is no plant product on the planet that in theory could do the work of the drugs currently produced to treat hepatitis. Just if there where it would not be a secret and be shrouded in mystery the way the folk remedies created from plants like milk thistle and St Johns Wort and a host of other so called "natural" medicines.

Eric

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:24:40 am by Mugwump »
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.