Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:57:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hope for GT 2 and 3?  (Read 6842 times)

Offline Maxlaw

Hope for GT 2 and 3?
« on: January 19, 2015, 01:48:12 pm »
As I'm sure most of you know, the newest drugs (Harvoni and Viekira Pak) are for GT1...and GTs 2 and 3 still must take Sovaldi and Ribavirin, for either 12 or 24 weeks.  GT1 has now become "easier" to cure than GTs 2 or 3, but there is some focus on GTs 2 and 3 in clinical trials.

I am currently participating in a trial for AbbVie's next generation NS3/4A inhibitor (ABT-493) and NS5A inhibitor (ABT-530) (these two drugs are the next generation of the NS3/4A protease inhibitor Paritaprevir and the NS5A inhibitor Ombitasvir which are in Viekira Pak).  These two drugs have been shown to have very strong potentency across all genotypes in vitro, and also have been shown to have a very high barrier to resistance in vitro, especially against GT 3a.  When combined, one has been shown to have a synergistic effect on the other.

I and some of the others that I've had a chance to speak to who are in the same trial were all undetected at 4 weeks (I am starting week 7 of 12 weeks).  My personal VL went from 311K to <25 in one week and was UND at 2 weeks!  But, importantly, none of us (I'm only referring only to the 4-5 people I have had conversations with) have had ANY side effects on these drugs.  Of course, we all know that the important milestone is 12 weeks after EOT, but everyone is very hopeful for a cure.  I can only hope that these drugs prove to be a good option for GTs 2 and 3 in the near future!

This particular trial is a Phase IIb trial and the estimated primary completion date is September 2015.  My understanding is that it is AbbVie's intention to combine these two drugs into one composition for Phase III trials starting late this year/early next year.

Anyway, I just wanted to relay what I think is very positive information (at least in my experience) for GTs 2 and 3.

Best wishes to all my fellow warriors!

--Max
GT 3a, dx 07/2014, baseline VL <400K, Fibrosis stage F2 prior to treatment; Completed AbbVie trial drugs ABT-493 & ABT-530 03/01/2015; achieved SVR 12 on 5/27/15...CURED!!

Offline petra

Re: Hope for GT 2 and 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 05:27:01 pm »
Thanks for that. I will be looking for your updates. I just finished 12 weeks of sovaldi and ribavirin 11 days ago. Now the waiting begins but I would rather wait knowing that there is possibly backup.
Cheers, Petra
User Name: petra
Height: 5' 7" Weight: 118
Diagnosed: June 2014
Infected: unsure of when
geno type: 2
Biopsy Score:no fibro scan or biopsy
Pre treatment: 3.5 million vl, other blood work normal
TX start date: October 17, 2014
Treatment Protocol: 12 weeks of 400mg of Sovaldi and 800 mg of Ribavirin per day
Side Effects: fatigue, itchiness.

Viral load:
3.5 million at start of treatment
18 at 4 weeks
undetected at 6, 8, and 12 weeks.
SVR at 12 weeks after treatment

Offline CE

• Genotype 3. Sovaldi & Ribavirin 24 weeks.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:17:27 pm »
I agree, Petra. Us 2's and 3's need more alternatives in case one don't work. Right now, if Sovadi and riba don't work, we have nothing. Best of luck in your trial, Maxlaw! I hope it works for you and gives us all hope. And Petra, good luck to you, I hope you get SVR and don't need an alternative! Please, both of you keep us posted of your status! Best wishes!       Chris
Chris :)
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
Most likely from blood transfusion in 1978
Treatment started November 2014
Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks
End of treatment April 2015
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!
Cured!!!! Praise the Lord!!

Offline Maxlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »
Yes, Petra, I sure hope you get SVR and don't need an alternative!!  But I agree that it might ease the anxiety knowing that there is another treatment coming along for GT 2 and 3 that might be even better than Sovaldi/RBV.

There is also another next-generation NS5A inhibitor from Gilead called GS-5816, which is currently in Phase III trials and is pan-genotypic.  It is given with Sovaldi with or without RBV. It was also tested on harder to treat patients (those with cirrhosis and those previously treated), and the cure rates were high from the Phase II trials.  So, something else to look forward to if we need it.

I am truly blessed to be able to receive the AbbVie treatment in a trial, and boy don't I know it from reading all the posts from everyone about the battles they have had to fight to get their insurance to approve treatment!  It's just crazy to me that the insurance companies don't want to get people cured and save themselves having to pay out more money in the long run when people get sicker.  My insurance company's PBM is Express Scripts, who was leading the fight against the price of Sovaldi, and now Harvoni, and in fact ES signed an agreement with AbbVie to supply their drugs over Gilead's drugs for GT1.  They most likely wouldn't have approved my treatment anyway, because I didn't meet their "sick enough" guidelines, based on my labs and liver biopsy.

Anyway, I'll sure keep everyone posted about this treatment so they will have the information for future decisions.

--Max 
GT 3a, dx 07/2014, baseline VL <400K, Fibrosis stage F2 prior to treatment; Completed AbbVie trial drugs ABT-493 & ABT-530 03/01/2015; achieved SVR 12 on 5/27/15...CURED!!

Offline CE

• Genotype 3. Sovaldi & Ribavirin 24 weeks.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »
I always thought the idea was "preventative", not "sick enough"! How sad that they want people near death before giving them something to improve their life. Sometimes it's just too late. 
Chris :)
Diagnosed July 2014
Genotype 3
Viral load of 950,000
Most likely from blood transfusion in 1978
Treatment started November 2014
Sovaldi and Ribavirin for 24 weeks
End of treatment April 2015
SVR12 July 2015!!!!!!
SVR24 October 2015!!!!!
Cured!!!! Praise the Lord!!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.