Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:48:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 90
Total: 90

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Should I start RX before my vacation...in 3 days?  (Read 7456 times)

Offline almost done

Should I start RX before my vacation...in 3 days?
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:11:11 pm »
Hi Folks:

Just received my Harvoni in the mail today.  This has been a while in the works, but none the less approved and in hand, yay!

My dilemma: We are leaving on a family vacation and will be away for a week starting in 3 days.  Should I hold off starting treatment until I get back or just go for it and start today?  Since I've had this for about 40 years my husband says: what's another week, wait!  My thoughts are maybe the side effects aren't so bad? 

Any thought?  Dr. doesn't care either way.

thanks for reading.

Offline Sam1224

Re: Should I start RX before my vacation...in 3 days?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:30:10 pm »
My vote would be to wait. I agree with your husband. It will be one less thing to worry about and allow you to enjoy your vacation. I spent a fair amount of time thinking about what was going on in my body after starting Harvoni. Did I take the pill? Are the pills safe and secure? What if I misplace 1 or all of them after starting? Does my body build immunity if that happens. What if someone breaks into to car or hotel room? Etc. Etc. If Doc says it's ok then it probably is.
My wife and I recently went to Vegas. I warned her that I would fly home if it meant not missing a dose.
I'm just past the 4 week mark myself. I see Doc on Weds. for results.

Offline kate0b1

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 06:01:12 am »
@sam, thats a tough one, i started tx in mid dec knowing we would be traveling over x-mas, i almost waited but then thought what does it matter, i will be traveling in feb (3 weeks till disney, i will be in my 9th week) and again in july. After triple therapy, i was so worried about how i would feel but i felt great actually, i counted out how many days i needed and put them with my vitamins.  the first few days until i got my water intake down pat (lots) and a few am's with a slight headache (one tylenol gets it). all that being said, if you don't have plans the rest of treatment then waiting is good also.

pretty helpful aren't i (not) lol

and welcome
kate

Offline Islandgirl

• Started Harvoni 12/3/14 - EOT 2/25/15
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:07 am »
Welcome, "AT"!
I almost hate to bring this up, but your insurance has some impact on this too.  I'd call my Specialty Rx Co and speak to them about your plans and dilemma.  This is a controlled substance and the insurance rules when it can and can't be filled and you already have a first filled date established.  You don't want to do anything to jeopardize the insurance approving and paying for the next refills.  Your doc most likely didn't think about that part of it, so please play it safe and contact your pharmacy provider for advise before making a final decision.  This stuff is too precious and hard to get approval for and some of us have had difficulty getting those refills....  Good luck!  ...Islandgirl
1b, treatment naive, positive for Hep C since 1994; thought to be transmitted via blood transfusions in 1976
Started Harvoni 12/3/14, EOT 2/25/15
12/31/14 labs - Virus Undetected, ALT/18, AST/34
3/25/15 labs - 1 mo post 12 wk Harvoni TX Virus Undetected!!  :) ....Islandgirl

Offline Sam1224

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:44:44 pm »
Good advice all. My advice to wait is coming the same guy who chose to drive through 50 miles of Friday evening L.A. rush hour so I wouldn't have to wait till Saturday morning or heaven forbid Mondays mail delivery.

Offline kate0b1

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 06:08:19 am »
@sam1224, thats funny, i have only seen that traffic once and was not the driver (thank god). I sat with the bottle in my hand for about an hour trying to fig out what to do. My husband (who saw first hand the first treatment) was like maybe you should wait lol but my girlfriend (one of few who know) said just do it the sooner you start the sooner your done. as i said waiting would not have changed anything for me as we have several trips planned.

kate

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.