Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:21:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Please Help with testing information  (Read 9212 times)

Offline Worried-man

Please Help with testing information
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:12:47 pm »
Please could somebody tell me if a Quantitive rna test would pick up any hep c infection. A year ago I was bitten on the lip by a person who I recently found out was hep c positive I had no idea at the time we kept kissing after the bite also she had a toungue piercing that could explain blood to blood contact. I have a lot of symptoms including nightsweats arthraglia muscle aches blurred vision dry skin other skin problems and others I also on going to don't aye blood found out I had a high iron count.i know it's been a year I've had 2 antibody negative tests tho on research I think I know why they were neg. for years thru previous infections throat and a non std downstairs infection my lymph nodes all became swollen and hard and stayed this way. I read that there what produces antibodies  seems silly bit i never went back to docs because i never cared about myself. I have too many physical symptoms for the tests to be correct it doesn't add up. I'm worried sick about my daughter she has had pale stool a few times I think she has come into contact with my blood somehow. I cry every day thinking I have hurt her. I'm suicidal over this situation. I couldn't live with hurting my baby. Please tell me if this text would Definetly show if I was infected inside I feel I know I have it even after antibody tests I've cut off all contact with everybody I sit alone in the dark crying and worrying for my daughter. Please tell me what test to get if this test would be the correct one to find any level of virus. Sorry for long msg thank you.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Please Help with testing information
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 02:48:21 pm »
Hi,
The symptoms you are describing are consistent with having high iron, so that really needs to be addressed. High iron is a potentially serious problem, and there are some types that are hereditary, so if you have that type, your daughter, siblings, and parents (if they are alive) need testing.

The RNA test is pretty darn conclusive.

Pale stools happen - nothing you said gives me any concern about hep C, but does concern me about the iron. Do not minimize the potential gravity of having high iron.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 11:13:25 am »
Hi Worried-man,

"Quantitative HCV RNA: The quantitative HCV RNA test is not FDA-approved for HCV diagnostic purposes. More recently, however, with the introduction of ultrasensitive HCV quantitative RNA assays (that detect as few as 5 copies/ml), the quantitative HCV RNA has achieved a similar level of diagnostic sensitivity as the qualitative assay.  In addition, the quantitative HCV RNA assay generates an actual HCV RNA level that may provide useful information as a baseline HCV RNA. Because the sensitivity of the quantitative HCV RNA assays has dramatically improved, many clinicians have utilized the quantitative HCV RNA for diagnostic purposes."

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Worried-man

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 11:37:18 am »
Sorry to bother you mike. I really appreciate your reply thanks. Could I ask you this question. I recently had I thought it was a qualatitive rna test it was done private when I checked the lab used there site said it was only quantative test I could see so it must have been that. However when I had the test done I don't think it was handled properly. It was put straight in an evelope this was a saterday. It sat in the post office till Monday when it was picked up then reached lab on Tuesday I'm from scotland it was posted to England. After all thAt time without being in a fridge was this test mishandled. Would there have been anything to find left after this even if I had virus in blood could it have died off ? I asked the lab they said it's fine but I read it's only good for 6 hours out a fridge n 3 days in a fridge. It came back negative but I'm worried it's a false result because the way sample was posted and time elapsed. Sorry to bother you I would appreciate if you could Miby tell me what you thank thanks alot

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 01:14:19 pm »
Hi Worried-man,

"Qualitative HCV RNA: The qualitative HCV RNA tests provide a yes or no answer to whether detectable HCV RNA is present in the sample. The qualitative HCV RNA assays are FDA approved for HCV diagnostic purposes. These tests, however, do not provide a quantitative level of HCV and are not used for baseline HCV RNA levels or for monitoring response to therapy."

I would imagine the test results are accurate and you don't have an HCV infection.

By the way, I have relatives in Mungrisdale and Glasgow.

Best wishes, Mike 
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.