Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:19:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 123
Total: 123

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is this a symptom?  (Read 13301 times)

Offline JoAnnP

Is this a symptom?
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:04:59 am »
My daughter has had burning, chaffing and peeling of her upper lip and skin for about four months. Did anyone one else experience or still experience this symptom with Hepatitis C?

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Is this a symptom?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:17:11 am »
Has your daughter been diagnosed with hep c?

Here is a link to a Web MD page about hep C symptoms.

http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepc-guide/hepatitis-c-symptoms

Symptoms

Most people who are infected with hepatitis C—even people who have been infected for a while—usually don't have symptoms.

If symptoms do develop, they may include:

Fatigue.
    Joint pain.
    Belly pain.
    Itchy skin.
    Sore muscles.
    Dark urine.
    Jaundice, a condition in which the skin and the whites of the eyes look yellow.

Has she been to a dermatologist? What does her doctor say?

I have never heard anyone comment on peeling upper lip skin as a hep c symptom which is a virus that attacks the liver

Hope she feels better soon
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline JoAnnP

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 08:20:24 am »
Yes, she has been dx with Hep C, geno type 2b. She is going to see a dermatologist, because it is driving her crazy. Her GI told her she does not believe it is a symptom of Hep C. While I have read that most people do not have symptoms, I feel sure that she did. She knows she was infected in the last 6-8 months as she tested negative during her pregnancy. She had severe itching on her torso, fever and fatigue for about three weeks. The GI said that could have been a symptom of Hep C. I told my daughter I would ask here to see if anyone else had this symptom.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:07:11 pm »
Normally they do not test for hep c as a routine test during pregnancy unless there is a reason to suspect hep c or if you request it.

Is it possible to check her records to confirm she was tested for hep c and tested negative?

I have had hep c for probably 37 years and did not start having symptoms until I was diagnosed with cirrhosis 7 years ago.

Usually the itching from hep c is a really a symptom of  liver damage of cirrhosis so I personally don't think anything to her hep c since she has not had it very long and it usually takes decades for significant liver damage to occur.

But some people do have an acute phase when first infected the fever you mentioned so it could be possible. Hep c is passed by blood to blood contact so the blood of a person infected with hep c would need to enter the blood stream of an uninfected person. But not everyone is sure where they got hep c or when many do not.

Just my thoughts only I am not a doctor but maybe she has allergies or just the stress of being a new mother can also cause dermatological problems like itching as well

Best of luck to you both hope the doctors figure out what is going on with her itching and that she can get treated for hep c and get cured so she can put hep c behind her

Lynn
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:12:58 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline JoAnnP

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 01:57:19 pm »
Thank you for your reply. She went and picked up the test result from her OB/GYN as she was so concerned that she might have passed this on to the baby and wanted to have him tested right away if they had not tested her.

You know, I was surprised that they tested her as well, but it may be routine now. I have been married to the same man for 27 years and I noticed they test me for STDs when I have a pap smear!

Her stress level is 110% she is a single mom. works a full time job, she got this dx after donating blood. She had a car accident that totaled her car and when she got home she opened a letter from the blood bank it told her she tested positive for Hep C.

She fell off the deep end after that and started taking drugs for about three months straight. She is now in rehab to wean herself off of pain medication.

You are probably right, it is stress, but I told her I would ask.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:39:38 pm »
Just wanted to add hep c is not considered an STD. Sexual transmission is a low probability especially in long term monogamous couples in fact the CDC does not even recommend the use of barrier protection for them. For others who are not monogamous they should always have safe sex to prevent transmission of all of the bad stuff out there.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Downnout

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 11:54:32 am »
Yes, she has been dx with Hep C, geno type 2b. She is going to see a dermatologist, because it is driving her crazy. Her GI told her she does not believe it is a symptom of Hep C. While I have read that most people do not have symptoms, I feel sure that she did. She knows she was infected in the last 6-8 months as she tested negative during her pregnancy. She had severe itching on her torso, fever and fatigue for about three weeks. The GI said that could have been a symptom of Hep C. I told my daughter I would ask here to see if anyone else had this symptom.

I've never had that symptom and I've had it since '69-'70. I had high liver readings way back then but no one knew about Hep-C. Finally diagnosed in or around '98.... I started losing weight (40lbs in about two months) around 2004 but I didn't feel all that bad. Did notice when I'd wake up a burning sensation when I breathed out. That was because by then.. I had cirrhosis and my liver wasn't filtering ammonia out of my blood.

Fortunately they've now got meds to cure it and she'll be fine when she gets on them. They didn't  have the meds when I got really sick and almost died from the cirrhosis and had to get a liver transplant. Thank the "LORD"... He pulled me through it! Don' be a worryier... Everything will be allright!

I have or had..... Type 2b also.I' on my 5th week of solvaldi and ribavirin and my 4 week Btest said <15 down from 30,000,000 viral load and also stated "Not Detected!"

Offline JoAnnP

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It turned out the itching was not a symptom of the Hep, her dermatologist told her it was a symptom of stress. She was incredibly stressed out when she received her diagnosis.

Update: She received her the medication from overseas, she has been on the medication for five weeks and now has an undetectable viral load. The symptoms that have cleared are fatigue, joint pain, dark urine and fever.

Feeling very grateful for this new medication and the people who took time to answer my questions. Thank you again.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.