Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:17:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: if my viral number is higher than most on here does that mean I'm worse off?  (Read 8851 times)

Offline dmclain

Hi I'm really wondering now about how bad I am sense my I'm 7 million and most on here seem to have a lower number? sense I don't gave any other info like most on here do I'm concerned I'm worse off than I thought. What do you guys think? I haven't had a biopsy in probably 18 yrs which they said liver was fine :)  and I've been at 7 million that long also.  I just had an ultra sound the old fashion one not the new one and it was fine. And I don't think my alt and other number was elevated  much if I remember right from my resent blood work. So why do you think my viral number is higher and does it mean I'm worse off? Or not necessarily? 
Debbie :)

Offline BDK

• "Appeal, Appeal, Appeal!"
My VL has always been 7-9 million, other than when I was on interferon and riba back in 1999, and immediately after.  I've been F01- since 1998 with most recent Fibroscan a couple of months ago.  One hep doc told me to pay no attention to viral load in terms of illness severity or liver damage, just in terms of measurement as a response to treatment.
Genotype 1a
Diagnosed 1992
Liver biopsy 1998 stage 0-1.
Peg inf + riba 1999, stopped at 25 weeks due to side effects-undetected then but reappeared within 3 months.
Liver biopsy 2006 - stage 0-1.
Fibroscan 2015 - stage 0-1.
VL >12 million.
AST, ALT high normal range.
7/17/15 Started Harvoni for 12 weeks.
8/4/15   VL 70, AST 19, ALT 11
9/17/15 VL Undetected (<12), AST 19, ALT 16
11/10/15 EOT +5 weeks VL Undetected (<12), AST 16, ALT 14
1/12/16 EOT + 14 weeks VL Undetected (<12)

Offline Trenz

My VL fluctuates a great deal, but I've had two different docs tell me the exact same thing as BDK's doc about the significance of the VL number.

Offline donk

My pre harvoni VL was about 9 mil. My 4 week tx VL is undetectable. Don't miss any med doses and the numbers will be good.

Offline motor

In my relatively short career with hepC research I don't think of 7M as a high number.  One friend of a friend whom I discussed the hepC experience with told me her vL was 70M.  Another friend cured by Harvoni in clinical trials was 15M.
Age 66male GT 1a/CT  Dx 5/19/14
Likely infected early 70's
VL 3.7mil FibroScan F2 FSure F2
ALT 84(12-78) AST 56(3-36) High
Tx naive
8wks Harvoni start 3/3/15 VA
4wks ALT 25(12-78) AST 22(3-36) Normal 
        VL  <15  NOT DETECTED
8wks ALT 24 AST 19 
EOT  VL   <15  NOT DETECTED
SVR12 VL <15  NOT DETECTED

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
The viral load is the least effective way to determine levels of the most important aspect of HCV infection, which is liver damage. All that can be surmised from a high viral count in the blood is that the disease is doing damage but the level of damage can only be determined by other tests.

My viral load was 2.3M at beginning of treatment but 6 months before that could have been much higher. All it meant was at beginning of treatment my immune system was doing a better job of keeping the disease in check.

Keeping healthy and active, not worrying, no alcohol, eating sensibly along with treatment will give our body the best chance to clear this disease. 
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline dmclain

Oh wow thank you for responding I feel much better! My mind wants to blow things out of per portion  some times ;). I'm just learning and really appreciate you all on here! :)
Debbie :)

Offline Maddawg46

Heck no!  Everybody is different.  Do you get over a cold the same time that everyone else does.  Go on the offensive.
It's a battle.  Your at war.  Better get tough.  The virus is, so you better get the warrior mentality

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.