Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: worried and finding too much conflicting info on the web  (Read 9018 times)

Offline ghostrider

worried and finding too much conflicting info on the web
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:01:12 am »
 hello this is my first time posting here so first of all thank you for reading this. I have recently met someone new and I just found out she has hepatitis c. I've read so many things online so far that are conflicting about transmission. when I first met her we made out and my lips are dry and I smiled in my lip kind of cracked open. some people say there's HCV in saliva and some people say its not a proper way of transmission. I know she starts treatment on the 26th so I guess what I'm worried about is thats I understand it's very rare to get it from saliva but I'm worried that because she has not been treated yet, that her viral load is so high that the quantity of HCV in her saliva is enough to transfer it to me via route of lip crack. I've been pretty anxious about it and am the type to take every little thing as a sign of acquiring hep c. We continue to kiss but have abstained from intercourse or oral sex. I guess I'd also like to know that if I touch her with my hand down there is regular hand washing ok or am I supposed to be using a certain product. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone I'd rather ask these questions because I really like her and don't find this a reason to just not speak to her. Please any info will help. Thank you.

Offline Mike

Re: worried and finding too much conflicting info on the web
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:49:00 am »
The chance of contracting HCV through sexual contact (copulation, cunnilingus, fellatio et. al.) is very, very minimal - but not impossible.

Activities such as kissing, hugging and mutual masturbation are not known to carry a risk of transmission, unless blood exposure is involved (i.e., rough foreplay and sex).

From what you have explained, I think your risk of contracting HCV is about zero.

Having said that, unprotected sex carries a risk of contracting HCV and other disease so condom use is always advisable outside of long-term monogamous relationships.

Best wishes, Mike

Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:41:07 am »
thank you for the response! My anxiety is through the roof about this though as I'm trying to avoid thinking anything I feel is a symptom of transmission.
I did, however, want to add that we are both females so sexual activity is pretty limited. We have engaged in a lot of deep kissing, some touching, and alternate routes of having sex. So is standard hand washing and antibacterial soap ok to clean up after bodily fluids? Sorry if this seems to be TMI but I'm very open to having a partner with Hep C as long as we both stay safe so I just wanted some of these questions answered by knowledgeable people. Thanks again.

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:57:04 pm »
Hi Ghostrider,

From what you've explained, I still think your risk of contracting the virus is very, very low.

Without a blood-to-blood transmission mechanism, contracting HCV from an infected person would be very difficult.

I'm not saying it would be impossible - but highly unlikely.

You can use a barrier when engaging in cunnilingus, which would further reduce the possibility of transmission.

I haven't read anything that indicates heavy petting, hugging and/or kissing places you at an increased risk. In addition, I have not seen any research outlining the risk of women-on-women and HCV transmission.

The risk, it is thought, would be associated with exposure to heavy vaginal discharge (when vaginitis is present) and/or menstrual blood.

Here's a link that may answer some additional questions:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesisters.org.uk%2Fwomen.html&ei=g6wJVej3G4W4ggT2_4DQCg&usg=AFQjCNH3YgkF-WiOnctvVj-Me4X8fSPUrw

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.