Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:54:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 8 YEARS POST AND STILL DEPRESSED  (Read 15508 times)

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

8 YEARS POST AND STILL DEPRESSED
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:30 pm »
8 YEARS AGO I FOUND OUT THAT I WAS COINFECTED. HIV AND HEP C.
MY TREATMENT FOR HEP C LASTED 24 FULL MONTHS 104 INTERFURON SHOTS.
BEFORE I CLEARED THAT VIRUS. TO THIS DAY I STILL SUFFER FRON MILD TO SEVERE DEPRESSION. NEVER HAD A DAY OF DEPRESSION BEFORE THIS.
IS THIS POSSIBLE? PLEASE HELP ME. I NEED SOME ANSWERS.
MARV   
AKA YOURPHOTOMAN

Offline Sam1224

Re: 8 YEARS POST AND STILL DEPRESSED
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:37:24 am »
Marv

Hope you are doing ok. Must've been a helluva shock to learn you were co-infected. Are you taking any other meds that might be causing the depression?
For me, staying occupied was the best way to avoid falling into a place where all thoughts were negative and nothing seemed worth doing. Not sure if that's depression or not. Never considered taking any of the psychosomatic drugs.
Hang in there. Things can get better.

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:03:26 am »
Thanks for replying. Previous to hep c II did not know what depression was.
I'm taking 2 meds for my hiv and 5 meds for depression. This depression is so strange. It kinda stays with me most of my waking hours.  The VA says it's in my head and I say it's from 2 yrs of Interferon treatment. Does anyone know the answer to my question?
Marv

Offline BubbaT

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:58 am »
Hi marv,

I'm sorry to hear about the depression and severe effects, I hope you can get some help so you can be relieved from the depression, as someone who has lived with chronic hepc for over 30 yrs, I have battled fear of dying,  fatigue, brain fog, mental confusion, days that I thought I would not live thru, constant pain in abdomen,
Inability to think and follow thoughts through to a conclusion, this I think can cause depression,  but, after I met God thru Christ, things got better for me,

I think that depression is caused by many things but, I found that in my case when I started to fight against this what I term as spirit,depression) I would resist this with my will and tell it to leave me in Jesus name,  and it has been a struggle, but I am feeling better now that I'm being treated with Harvoni.

I have Hope,  and I think Hope is the anti- dote for depression.

Hope you get well soon..

Age 57 male
Infected late 70's
Diagnosed 95
1a, 2 prev biopsy 95, 2004
Ct 2007, 2015
Treatment Naive
F4 A3. Fibrosure/ CT 2-5-15. Ammonia 222
VL 2.2 mil.
Started Harvoni  3-3-15. 12weeks, finished 5-26-15
4 week VL undetected
12 week EOT undetected

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:13:14 am »
I appreciate the kind  words but this thing has me so badly, it hurts so much. I cry for no reason. I stopped going out, lost weight. This sucks,.sorry,..opps
Again, is it possible to have depression. 6 yrs after 2 years of interferon shots?
Anyone know?
Marv

Offline nicole_1234

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 05:30:40 pm »
Marv, I too battled depression and anxiety after 48 month interferon. It seemed to hit me on and off for years to follow. I too tried antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. Nothing seemed to help and the hole got bigger and deeper. What I didn't realize at the time was how connected your mental health is to your physical health. I had to really change everything. The first thing I did was get group support. I went to AA even though I wasn't drinking heavily and didn't feel like an alcoholic, but I felt it was a free place and there would be people who had been through what I had and I didn't want to drink it all anyway and I made a lot of friends who were genuinely trying to improve their lives. I also started going to yoga and found a great place and made friends there. Every time I felt shitty I'd just go there, sometimes hating it. But sure enough every time I left I felt better and slowly but surely I started to improve.

I also tried to take better care of my health in general. I wasn't necessarily a terrible eater but I started to notice if I had pizza or cupcakes or whatever, it would affect me and I would get a little more depressed afterwards.

Finally, I had to have a huge spiritual shift. I had been stuck in self pity and all my coping mechanisms were kaputt. I started meditation (first I tried Buddhist mindfulness and then I will went to transcendental meditation), which I also started out doing with a group and now I do it on my own. I also would write down three things I was grateful for every day before bed and one thing that had happened that day that was nice as well as doing one random act of kindness every day, which could have been as simple as thanking a friend for something. I did this for 21 days straight which is what they say it takes to create a new habit and I swear my whole perspective changed and I started to feel much happier.

Everyone is different so I cannot say what worked for me will work for you. But I can highly recommend meditation it is proven scientifically  to help people with depression. The David Lynch foundation gives scholarships to people including veterans to help them get training in Transcendental Meditation so thats something to consider.

I personally also have an issue with the psychiatric pharmaceutical industry. Sometimes the over prescribe with out getting to the root of the issue. They just pile drugs on top of drugs and bodies become overwhelmed and forget to do what they are good at. All the drugs I tried did no help whatsoever and they created an endless spiral that was so hard to break free of. I really feel for you and what you're going through.

I hope anything I had to offer in the way of advice is helpful. And also just know we're here with you and another place to come to for support.

Nicole
Genotype 1a
TX interferon/riba 2007 (relapsed)

TX Harvoni 12 week start Dec 3 2014
Starting vl 650,000  ALT 55 AST 63
2 week  vl <15
4 week vl UND
8 week vl UND
12 week EOT ALT 11 AST 18
6 week post tx UND ALT 15 AST 20
12 week post tx UND (CURED!!!!) ALT 11 AST 20
24 week post tx UND ALT 11 AST 18

Offline nicole_1234

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 05:36:20 pm »
Also to be clear I'm not saying that no one needs psychiatric drugs and that they aren't helpful sometimes. And obviously discontinuing anything should be closely monitored. If they are helpful to you and they work that's great. For me they didn't, and after clawing my way free of them I realized they had only made the problem worse.
Genotype 1a

2 week  vl <15
4 week vl UND
8 week vl UND

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 06:20:42 pm »
I'm in great health and 67 too. I use to weigh 255 lbs a very long time ago. Down to 170 lbs now and I'm 6' tall. Recently I lost additional weight. No appetite anymore and food does not taste right.
I appreciate all the kind directions you're urging  me to travel. Not to sound closed minded but I just don't think your way is where I want to travel. I still say my depression is from 2 yrs of hep c treatment with INTERFURAN

Offline nicole_1234

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 09:23:12 pm »
I totally understand and respect that. I don't think there's any one way to go and everyone finds there own path. But if it was from the interferon than there's nothing to be done about it for us, we cannot go back in time. So keep looking forward and I'm sure you will find some answers. You're not alone in this!
Genotype 1a

2 week  vl <15
4 week vl UND
8 week vl UND

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 09:32:55 pm »
Thx Nicole. I guess for now I have no other options. I have to just wait,....
If I keep yelling enough, one day the right person will hear me.
Love Ya
Marv

Offline Katie

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 09:54:04 pm »
Hi Marv,  So sorry to hear of your depression.  It is horrible to sink into that dark hole.  You are on a lot of medication. (2 meds for my hiv and 5 meds for depression)  Could it be that the HIV drugs are causing some of it?  Medication can also change your taste buds and saliva.  I know anti depressants are sometimes hard to get right and many will have the opposite effect.  I would think the interferon effects would be gone by now, but then I have never had it.  When I feel depression sneaking in, I find peace in nature, surrounded by the woods or out on the water fishing.  It seems to put things in proper perspective and rejuvenates me.  What you are experiencing is far beyond my experience.

Since you have been on this road for years, I am sure you have tried everything you can and done research and know better than any of us.  Depression is one of the hardest battles and I send you my caring, best wishes hoping you can reach for the sunshine and be happy again!

Katie
1 year post treatment blood work done and I am FREE!
GT 1a (4/1/2016)
Dx 2005
VL 2.6 million (fluctuated from 2-16 million during the 9 years)
Started Tx 12/4/2014 for 12 weeks
4 week blood work  Detected 59 IU/mL
EOT Detected <12 IU/mL
7.5 weeks post  Undetected
16 week post Undetected
24 WEEK POST UNDETECTED (I made it)
Waiting to feel good but feeling blessed!
12 month post treatment.  All blood work absolutely perfect! VL, as expected UNDETECTED!

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 10:02:05 pm »
Omg,...Thanks Katie. I'm on 5 anti depressants and 2 hiv meds. I take 13 pills a day. Oh lucky me. Thank goodness I have photography and videography to keep me occupied. I love to make movies. As a matter of fact, I have over 420 vids posted on you tube. One has over 920,000 hits,..lol,..I'm bragging and It's making me smile,..ty
hugs
marv

Offline Katie

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:14:14 pm »
I made you smile and even LOL, so I am happy!   :-*

How can I find you u-tubes?  I'd love to see them.  Photography is wonderful and I play with it.  I was a research biologist in Alaska (am still a biologist as I was born that way  :)  ) and have had the opportunity to take some awesome shots.  I so wish we would have had digital photography available then.  I spent a fortune on blurry, bad lighted photos as wildlife just doesn't always cooperate.

Another thing, I have a dear friend with MS who suffers from severe depression, and she has found marijuana to help her considerably.  Since it is becoming more acceptable and legal, have you ever tried that?  It works for her so I thought I'd mention it.

Take care and keep filming and sharing!

Katie
GT 1a (4/1/2016)
Dx 2005
EOT Detected <12 IU/mL
16 week post Undetected
12 month post treatment.  All blood work absolutely perfect! VL, as expected UNDETECTED!

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 10:44:49 pm »
Hey Katie,...I'm a flower child silly.  I'm glad you asked about my work. go to you tube and do a search for photomanmarv A stupid name I made up in a Rush
My fantasy fest movie is great,...opinion please
Mr Marv

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 10:48:02 pm »
You guys are great,..thank you

Offline Katie

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 11:08:06 pm »
Hey Katie,...I'm a flower child silly.  I'm glad you asked about my work. go to you tube and do a search for photomanmarv A stupid name I made up in a Rush
My fantasy fest movie is great,...opinion please
Mr Marv

HA!  I should have known.  I am too at a ripe old age of 68.  We had the best of both worlds!  I will definitely check out your work.  Thank you for sharing!

Katie
GT 1a (4/1/2016)
Dx 2005
EOT Detected <12 IU/mL
16 week post Undetected

Offline OO7GUY

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 09:23:08 am »
 YOURPHOTOMAN that was a cool video eavryone was waiting on a flash till you told them it was a video lol funny stuff  whip-cream guy way too wacky, keep up the good work il be checking out the rest of you work have a great day bud :)
Diagnosed in 08, 1a first TX 08 was Boceprevir, cleared but relapse while still on TX 2nd TX 2010  Telaprevir nonresponder both combination with PEG/riba. 3 TX Harvoni started 1/22/15 doing 12 weeks finished 04/16/15

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 02:11:26 pm »
THX FOR COMPLIMENT,..JUST POSTED ORANGUTAN MOVIE  WATCH IT,.IT'S NICE
MARV

Offline Katie

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 03:09:28 pm »
Hey Marv..Just watched Fantasy Fest!  Loved it and an awesome job.  Crazy!!! 8)

Can I share it with friends?

Have a great day and go take some pictures!

Katie
GT 1a (4/1/2016)
Dx 2005
EOT Detected <12 IU/mL
16 week post Undetected

Offline YOURPHOTOMAN

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 03:12:19 pm »
LOL,.THX,.YOU MADE ME SMILE FOR REAL. YES, SHOW THE ENTIRE WORLD MY VIDS :-*
MARV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.