Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:55:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Undetectable 12 months post  (Read 18025 times)

Offline roxy209

Undetectable 12 months post
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:47:36 pm »
I just had my 1 year lab done and it came back undetectable.  My doctor said I was clear of the disease.  Now, he wants to do a liver biopsy before he gives me my clearance.  I have to say it was a long challenging time for me.  I am working on my health and fitness at this point.

Offline rgr

Re: Undetectable 12 months post
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:52:53 pm »
Fantastic news roxxy209!
Geno> 1a, Stage 3 fibrosis, Started 12 week Tx January 2015, VL 15 Million.

Offline BubbaT

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 10:17:24 pm »
Awesome news roxy,

Why does he want a biopsy?   What was your liver condition prior to treatment?

Did you have a biopsy previous to treatment?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:19:19 pm by BubbaT »
Age 57 male
Infected late 70's
Diagnosed 95
1a, 2 prev biopsy 95, 2004
Ct 2007, 2015
Treatment Naive
F4 A3. Fibrosure/ CT 2-5-15. Ammonia 222
VL 2.2 mil.
Started Harvoni  3-3-15. 12weeks, finished 5-26-15
4 week VL undetected
12 week EOT undetected

Offline Tpropane

• Heal the past by living in the present.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:58:30 am »
for some of u with liver damage the end of hcv is a start in the right direction.
how about a fibroscan instead of a biopsy ?
Hep C 1A / TT diagnosed 2009
Non Responder Boceprevir/riba/peg 2011
F-4 Cirrhosis
TX Harvoni 24 weeks started 1/20/15
2 week labs VL 174!
4 week labs UNDETECTED !
8 week labs UNDETECTED !

Offline Bituman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 03:31:42 pm »
Congrats Roxy very happy for you!  If I am blessed to be cured like you, I was considering asking for some type of liver evaluation after a year or so.  I think your doctor is on the right track.   All the best to you and your HCV-less future. 

Bob
Age = 59, male, infected likely 1975
DX 07/07 GT 1a
Biopsy 2007:  GR 1, stage 0, HAI = 2/18
Since 2007:  1.48 MM < VL < 11 MM, avg = 5.64 MM
IL28B=CT
1/26/15, AST=43, ALT=55, VL=3.59 MM
2/5 Start Harvoni 12 weeks; Treat naive
2/20 AST=29, ALT=24, VL=59
3/6 AST=29, ALT=25, VL<15
3/19 AST=24, ALT=22, VL=undet
4/3 AST=29, ALT=25, VL=undet
4/30 EOT, AST=22, ALT=20, VL=undet
5/29 EOT+4, AST=20, ALT=19, VL=undet SVR
7/24 EOT+12, AST=23, ALT=18, VL=undet SVR
10/16 EOT+24, AST=22, ALT=17, VL=undet SVR

Offline Long_Haul

• Slayed the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:06:45 am »
Congratulations Roxy, Great result. So glad you shared the news with us. Stand tall and enjoy life, you have won the battle.

Best wishes,

AL
Genotype 1A

Diagnosed 1989
Biopsy-cirrhosis stage 4 2000, no starting VL this round

3 rounds of Int+Rib
(Combo/48wks,Peg/26 Wks,Triple with Incivek/16wks)
UND with Incivek, Relapsed
Started 12 weeks Harvoni and Rib Jan 2nd,2015
4 weeks Undetected
8 weeks Undetected!
EOT at 12 weeks Undetected
EOT at 24 weeks STILL UNDETECTED
Completed TX Mar 26th,2015

EOT plus 4 weeks UNDETECTED
EOT plus 12 weeks UNDETECTED !!!!!!!!!!! I am DONE!

NO LONGER a member of the "WAITING GANG"

Offline roxy209

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »
Hi BubbaT, unfortunately I have not had one and he could not give me clearance.  He suggested to do a liver biopsy to determine the health of my liver.  Without it he was unable to clear me completely.  I am HepC free and I do have an appointment for biopsy on 4/3/15. I will give update when I receive results.  Thank you for giving me support.

Roxy
Awesome news roxy,

Why does he want a biopsy?   What was your liver condition prior to treatment?

Did you have a biopsy previous to treatment?
/

Offline roxy209

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:10:06 pm »
Thank you Bob....  I have my appointment on 4/3/15 for the biopsy procedure.  I hope everything goes well. Thanks for your support.   :P

Roxy

Congrats Roxy very happy for you!  If I am blessed to be cured like you, I was considering asking for some type of liver evaluation after a year or so.  I think your doctor is on the right track.   All the best to you and your HCV-less future. 

Bob

Offline roxy209

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 08:14:07 pm »
Thank you for your support , greatly appreciated!

Roxy
Congratulations Roxy, Great result. So glad you shared the news with us. Stand tall and enjoy life, you have won the battle.

Best wishes,

AL

Offline roxy209

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 08:16:01 pm »
Thank you for your support!  Greatly Appreciated !

Roxy
 :)
Fantastic news roxxy209!

Offline roxy209

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 08:21:02 pm »
Good question, I dont know why he didnt offer fibroscanI need to ask him.

for some of u with liver damage the end of hcv is a start in the right direction.
how about a fibroscan instead of a biopsy ?

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 05:55:01 am »
Hi Roxy

Congrats amazing news yay for beating hep c.

I personally don't love biopsies (had at least 4) but they are a useful tool for staging liver damage. Some can be more difficult some not so much they all have at least some risk of complication but if I needed to I would do one. I do have access to fibroscan now so thankfully likely I would never need to have another one.

What I am wondering is what do you mean when you say "could not give me clearance" clearance for what?

Do you have any indications of liver damage. Is your platelet count ok? Mine dropped well below normal after I was diagnosed with cirrhosis. How does you liver look on an abdominal ultrasound does it appear to have indication of cirrhosis?

I dunno if you don't have cirrhosis or even if you had very early cirrhosis your liver likely is going to get better with time.

Yeah if you are good with the biopsy I would do it just for my own curiosity if it was my only option mostly I am just curious about the clearing you comment.

What type of doctor do you see?

Congrats again I am happy for you
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:58:46 am by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:04 pm »
Hi Roxy,
I am with Lynn K on this. Generally, docs don't do biopsies when the virus is gone. In fact, I like all of Lynn's questions/observations, and hope you can get resolution on this. Keep us posted.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Pete

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:42 pm »
While I do not work in the medical profession,  I've been paying attention (as most here have) for about  15 years to this disease.  A biopsy seems a mute point at this stage.   What does he mean "until I can clear you"... ?

12 months? You are CURED! Who cares if he signs off? Congratulations BTW!!!

A fibroscope is like $300, a biopsy, with anesthesiologist fees, and hospital costs will be in the thousands of $$$.   I will state he is likely milking the system for insurance dollars.  It is not uncommon in the US medical system today, happens all the time.

I'll add that there are risks to a liver biopsy, look it up, see for yourself.  the biggest risk is "hospital infection".  I would get a second opinion at minimum. 

Remember you are the customer, tell him a fibroscan is all you will agree to or you'll take your business elsewhere.

Please don't disregard the opinions on these forums.  Folks here are genuine in what they say, with zero profit motive. Everyone here cares about everyone else's well being. 

I do wish you the best outcome however you choose. but do think this over.

Pete

Offline Pete

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 11:48:06 pm »
Sorry for the rant... I just went round and round with a gastro doc who insisted,  get this.. I get a colonoscopy, followed by an endoscopy, followed by a liver biopsy.  My guess, in excess of $10K for the triple play. 

I'm not kidding. There was no mention of treating the underlying cause from the Doctor.  It only came up because I asked him about Harvoni... I was told my insurance would likely not cover it and more testing was needed to make sure I didn't have cancer.  Yep, he used the "C" word to try to pursued me.

I then scheduled an appointment with a Hepatologist.  I had my records of 2 previous biopsies and all my blood tests for the past 10 years.  She said all that was needed (along with my medical records) was a fresh V/L to present to my insurance co.  She got me approved for Harvoni and here I am 3+ weeks in.   

Sorry if I seem a bit jaded, I just don't trust the "for profit medical system" in the US. Too easy to scam the system for those intent to do so.

Best,
pete

Offline roxy209

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 12:49:01 am »
Hello and thank you for your concern.  The doctors office said I can change the biopsy to a fibroscan and  I am  waiting for a response from my doctor.  Where I live the city doesn't have the technology of fibroscan available and would have to travel to UC Davis, which is fine with me.  The answer to your question  "until I can clear you "  was in regard to my last appointment with him but one important document was missing to determine the health of my liver.  Since it was not in my file he ordered the biopsy.  He said if I had cirrhosis I would do blood work every six months. He also said because I had hcv over 15 years he suggested to have my liver checked again since the ultrasound was not in my file.  I will get a copy from my primary and take it to him tomorrow.  At least by having this procedure done I will know the health of my liver.  I will post updates as soon as I get them.  Thank you so much for all your support. 

Davis=======
While I do not work in the medical profession,  I've been paying attention (as most here have) for about  15 years to this disease.  A biopsy seems a mute point at this stage.   What does he mean "until I can clear you"... ?

12 months? You are CURED! Who cares if he signs off? Congratulations BTW!!!

A fibroscope is like $300, a biopsy, with anesthesiologist fees, and hospital costs will be in the thousands of $$$.   I will state he is likely milking the system for insurance dollars.  It is not uncommon in the US medical system today, happens all the time.

I'll add that there are risks to a liver biopsy, look it up, see for yourself.  the biggest risk is "hospital infection".  I would get a second opinion at minimum. 

Remember you are the customer, tell him a fibroscan is all you will agree to or you'll take your business elsewhere.

Please don't disregard the opinions on these forums.  Folks here are genuine in what they say, with zero profit motive. Everyone here cares about everyone else's well being. 

I do wish you the best outcome however you choose. but do think this over.

Pete

Offline BubbaT

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 11:49:17 pm »
I think Pete makes a valid point, the Dr. Isn't your husband or wife of mother or father, I'm not sure that love you that much..... Lol

But they do push the procedures on u, or the one I'm seeing does...
And I decided I'm gonna drive this train...

Age 57 male
Infected late 70's
Diagnosed 95
1a, 2 prev biopsy 95, 2004
Ct 2007, 2015
Treatment Naive
F4 A3. Fibrosure/ CT 2-5-15. Ammonia 222
VL 2.2 mil.
Started Harvoni  3-3-15. 12weeks, finished 5-26-15
4 week VL undetected
12 week EOT undetected

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.