Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:34:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Allergy Med effective against HCV?!?!?!?!?  (Read 8794 times)

Offline bridget

Allergy Med effective against HCV?!?!?!?!?
« on: April 11, 2015, 09:02:16 pm »
Have you all seen the recent news about studies showing the allergy medicine, HCI to be effective in treating HCV?  This would certainly force Gilead to lower prices. Very interesting! http://www.techtimes.com/articles/45095/20150409/forget-1-000-a-dose-hepatitis-c-drug-this-cheap-allergy-medicine-might-be-as-effective.htm

Offline Bituman

Re: Allergy Med effective against HCV?!?!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:13:42 pm »
Sounds interesting, if not promising.  But I hope this doesn't create a situation that resurrects the older IFN based treatments that can be combined with CCZ.  If such a combo was cheaper, then some might be forced into a treatment that, even though effective, is much less well tolerated compared to the current DAA's.  The article is a little imprecise in terms of possible combos.  In any case, I agree with Bridget, it might force downward pressure on price. 

Bob
Age = 59, male, infected likely 1975
DX 07/07 GT 1a
Biopsy 2007:  GR 1, stage 0, HAI = 2/18
Since 2007:  1.48 MM < VL < 11 MM, avg = 5.64 MM
IL28B=CT
1/26/15, AST=43, ALT=55, VL=3.59 MM
2/5 Start Harvoni 12 weeks; Treat naive
2/20 AST=29, ALT=24, VL=59
3/6 AST=29, ALT=25, VL<15
3/19 AST=24, ALT=22, VL=undet
4/3 AST=29, ALT=25, VL=undet
4/30 EOT, AST=22, ALT=20, VL=undet
5/29 EOT+4, AST=20, ALT=19, VL=undet SVR
7/24 EOT+12, AST=23, ALT=18, VL=undet SVR
10/16 EOT+24, AST=22, ALT=17, VL=undet SVR

Offline bridget

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:51:41 am »
Good point about the potential risk of insurers promoting Interferon again, that would be horrible.
It seems fair that Gilead's greedy monopoly will be temporary. Generics, competitor & now possibly an allergy medicine will force Gilead to lower prices.

Offline seekir

• Mikey's Island
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:59:10 am »
I'd like to know more about the potential efficacy and safety of the chlorcyclizine when taken as an anti-viral. According to the clinical trial site (link below), the 28 day trial initiated in March 2014. I'm not sure if that was the actual date they started the drug treatments of the trial participants, but the site says that no information regarding the chlorcyclizine treatment will be released till March of 2017. The daily dosage they're using in the trial seems alarmingly high; about five to six times the maximum for use as an antihistamine.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02118012
61 yo male
Genotype 1a, treatment naive till 8/6/15 when Harvoni treatment was provided through Gilead's Support Path after health insurer (HMSA) denied Harvoni treatment and appeal due to moderate F1/F2 liver status. Sides very mild, virus "undetectable" at 28 days.

Offline seekir

• Mikey's Island
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 04:24:38 pm »
The daily dosage they're using in the trial seems alarmingly high; about five to six times the maximum for use as an antihistamine.

Oops, mistook the Ribavirin dosage for the chlorcyclizine dosage in the trial... The chlorcyclizine dosage they're using is actually slightly less than the max for use as an antihistamine. I believe half of the trial's non-placebo participants are taking Ribavirin with the chlorcyclizine, half just chlorcyclizine. I'm very sorry I've confused the issue. I'm still hoping to hear good news about the efficacy of chlorcyclizine as HCV therapy.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:29:29 pm by seekir »
61 yo male
Genotype 1a, treatment naive till 8/6/15 when Harvoni treatment was provided through Gilead's Support Path after health insurer (HMSA) denied Harvoni treatment and appeal due to moderate F1/F2 liver status. Sides very mild, virus "undetectable" at 28 days.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.