Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 04:38:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C and Liver Cancer (Hepatocellular carcinoma)  (Read 10551 times)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Hep C and Liver Cancer (Hepatocellular carcinoma)
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:48:27 pm »
A Forum member who is now free of hep C, expressed concern about liver cancer risk. The member was hoping that being cured of hep C meant not having to be concerned about possible consequences from the virus. 
I hope my  biopsy doesn't show cirrhosis because he said he couldn't give me clearance and I would have to have lab work every six months with him.  He said liver cancer is a high risk for hep C  patients that have cirrhosis.
The member also mentioned having gained weight during treatment.

I thought I'd share my response:

If you have cirrhosis, you are at a higher risk for cancer than if you didn't have hep C. However, it is not a high risk - it is still relatively low. Just like people have regular mammograms and colonoscopies, you will need to have lab work and ultrasounds if you have cirrhosis. In some ways, I wish we all had to have these, since I lost 3 friends to liver cancer last year, and not one had hep C. (I also lost friends who did have hep C.) Liver cancer is on the rise. One thing you can do to help protect yourself is try to lose the weight you gained, since fatty liver disease is a huge problem in the U.S. Fatty liver disease is on its way to replacing hep C as the #1 cause of cirrhosis.

Hope this is helpful to others...
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline rgr

Re: Hep C and Liver Cancer (Hepatocellular carcinoma)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:49:37 pm »
Thank You Lucinda for the great info. I''m sure it will help others. It just helped me....Roger
Geno> 1a, Stage 3 fibrosis, Started 12 week Tx January 2015, VL 15 Million.

Offline trapper

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:52:46 pm »
Hi Lucinda   thanks for the info.  I had a question for you.  My 12 week post s/o treatment came back not detected which is excellent.  My Anion Gap is low at 3, normal range is 6-14.  Do you know what this test means?   thanks   trapper

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 08:25:42 pm »
"A low anion gap is frequently caused by hypoalbuminemia. Albumin is a negatively charged protein and its loss from the serum results in the retention of other negatively charged ions such as chloride and bicarbonate. As bicarbonate and chloride anions are used to calculate the anion gap, there is a subsequent decrease in the gap.

In hypoalbuminaemia the normal anion gap is decreased with 2.5 to 3 mmol/L per 1 g/dL decrease in serum albumin. Common conditions that reduce serum albumin in the clinical setting are hemorrhage, nephrotic syndrome, intestinal obstruction and liver cirrhosis."

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline trapper

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 09:46:44 pm »
thanks mike

Offline ricpark

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:02 pm »
Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma is also connected to Hep C and the chance of recurrence is higher if you still have the virus.  Some studies suggest treating the virus first if time permits. I just past my 1 year from chemo and still clean, and I am about to start Harvoni + ribavirin for 12 wks. My spleen and part of stomach and diaphragm was removed, lucky it had not spread ("spleen the size of a basketball" surgeon said, 4hrs in surgery). I'm hoping my chance of cancer returning will be less once I complete treatment which will start May 1st ( 68 in May - not a young body).
Chronic 50 years
Geo 1A Stage 3
VL 17.5 mill
non-Hopkins lymphoma cancer
after 4 weeks
AST 87 now 29
ALT 128 now 27
VL now undetected
after 12 wks
VL  undetected

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:39:13 pm »
Thanks for the reminder RicPark - Unlike hepatocellular carcinoma, the lymphoma (NHL) risk is higher in the early stages of hep C. Good luck with your treatment. Hope this puts NHL to rest.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline ricpark

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:08:30 pm »
I've had hep c for about 50 years ( havent touched drugs since teen) only found out about 15 years ago. Early was not for me. I have been doing the home wishful thinking supplements. Milk thistle, cats claw etc.
Chronic 50 years
Geo 1A Stage 3
VL 17.5 mill
non-Hopkins lymphoma cancer
after 4 weeks
AST 87 now 29
ALT 128 now 27
VL now undetected
after 12 wks
VL  undetected

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.