Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:59:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 98
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Started Treatment with Harvoni April 7, twice failed with PegInter and Riba  (Read 10510 times)

Offline Gittin Cured

• Start Harovni April 7, 2015
Hello All and thank you for the information you all provided that assisted me in obtaining Harvoni after a vicious fight with my insurance provider.  Your stories and continued trials were an inspiration to me to continue to battle both HepC and the medical insurers who seem to try and prevent access to the very drugs that will cure us.

I was diagnosed in 2006 during a routine annual exam.  Every previous annual exam the doctors just commented about my elevate liver enzymes, never mentioning HepC.  Finally, an older doctor performing the exam told me his suspicions and sent me for further tests which lead to the gastro doc and the story unfolded.  Apparently, around the time I joined the Army I contracted HepC and it had festered for years unchecked.  Cirrhosis had already begun and a lifestyle change and treatment were in order.

First round of PEG Interferon failed, I remember feeling like crap, but very little else, second round was failing until the very last blood test show cleared...but not for long, the dastardly HepC returned with a vengeance and started multiplying like it does.

Now for the new miracle drug Harvoni, I have not had my first blood work up yet, but am expecting good news.  Only a little over a week on the med, but I feel great, almost too good.  Trying to carry that feeling through the entire 24 weeks, wish me luck!  So far I have only experienced a few side affects - primary distraction is dizziness, not too bad, only when I tip my head way back or forward or when I lay down in bed at night, also some changes in bathroom habits, but nothing major or difficult to deal with so far, constant dry mouth, drinking like a horse, around a gallon or 1 and a half gallons of water with Crystal Light per day, lastly, I am always hungry, to the extreme, I try to drink more thinking that may be the cause of the feeling of starvation, but I am having trouble fighting the urge to eat nearly continuously.

Just wanted to thank you all and share my experiences so far.  I wish the very best to all of you, keep fighting, let's beat this ailment back to the stone age!
Diagnosed October 2006, contracted approx. 1972
1st treatment PEG Interferon and Riba Feb 2007 FAIL
2nd Treatment PEG Interferon and Riba April 2009
Relapsed from second round
Start Harvoni April 2015
Geno Type 1b, current viral load - 8.3MM

Harvoni - finished 8 wks, HCV und, AST, ALT, GGT all in range, very exciting!  First time in 40 years!

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
Good luck!
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline BubbaT

Hello getting cured,

I like your name, we are getting cured!

I read in your post that your are using the crystal light,
I stopped using that after doing some research , and I feel a lot better now, and my hunger cravings stopped, I started using the real stevia in lemon water, I juice a whole lemon in a bowl and add a packet of raw stevia and mix in 12-16 ozs of water.
And I repeat this 4 times a day, with only water in between.

since I'm F4 I went on a health binge because I was feeling awful and I cannot take drugs so it was nutrition I sought in my diet,I started
Harvoni 6weeks ago and have lost 12 lbs, and the first 2 weeks were the hardest for me..  I hope you get well soon...

I hated feeling like I was starving all the time and nothing I was eating was keeping my craving under ...I was having symptoms similar to those you mentioned...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:06:20 pm by BubbaT »
Age 57 male
Infected late 70's
Diagnosed 95
1a, 2 prev biopsy 95, 2004
Ct 2007, 2015
Treatment Naive
F4 A3. Fibrosure/ CT 2-5-15. Ammonia 222
VL 2.2 mil.
Started Harvoni  3-3-15. 12weeks, finished 5-26-15
4 week VL undetected
12 week EOT undetected

Offline Gittin Cured

• Start Harovni April 7, 2015
Thanks for the advice Bubba, I have tried other things than crystal light, but I am drinking over a gallon of water a day and still thirsty.  Got tired of all the water and it is just easier for me to drink the mix at work, big staff and never time to myself.

I am F3, have you tired the 20 oz of coffee a day to reverse the fibrosis?  I just read another study hailing it effects and one of the folks on this site also said it worked for them  I tired it before, but do not want to take anything drug related while I am on the Harvoni, figure I will work on the liver health once I get the HCV beat.

I have not gained any weight yet, but I am still fighting the constant urge to eat.  Keep any tips you have coming.  Maybe once I get a few weeks under my belt that will pass.

Thanks much, good luck.

jack
Diagnosed October 2006, contracted approx. 1972
1st treatment PEG Interferon and Riba Feb 2007 FAIL
2nd Treatment PEG Interferon and Riba April 2009
Relapsed from second round
Start Harvoni April 2015
Geno Type 1b, current viral load - 8.3MM

Harvoni - finished 8 wks, HCV und, AST, ALT, GGT all in range, very exciting!  First time in 40 years!

Offline BubbaT

Hey jack,

Yes I was a 30ouncer for yrs, I liked that newmans organic coffee that you Kruger!
A couple weeks ago I decided to quit the coffe and see if it would help me to focus on the lemon water and not be dependent on that morning cafiene fix. Because I was thinking the acids from the coffee may interrupt the absorption of the meds..

So, I'm able to take off work until I get thru treatment, also I was having issues with insulin resistance and pre type 2 diabetes, so I'm reading nutrition, studying to help take steps to use the best foods I can, improve my health..
I learned that crystal light has aspartame in it, you should google that stuff, it's one molecule away from being chlorine...  Nasty stuff...

My mother was using it and she's 79 and she was having all kinds of issues, dizzy,
Migraines.....
Age 57 male
Infected late 70's
Diagnosed 95
1a, 2 prev biopsy 95, 2004
Ct 2007, 2015
Treatment Naive
F4 A3. Fibrosure/ CT 2-5-15. Ammonia 222
VL 2.2 mil.
Started Harvoni  3-3-15. 12weeks, finished 5-26-15
4 week VL undetected
12 week EOT undetected

Offline atomic dog

Gittin Cured, yeah, best wishes. I was treatment naive--wasn't a good candidate for Peg/Interferon and all that jazz. Harvoni is interesting, sometimes benign, sometimes a nuisance, sometimes seriously f***ed. But in Week 9, I'm hangin' in there, 3 weeks to go. I hope your weeks are filled with puppy kisses and rainbows. Carry on.
Infected 1969, dirty needle
Geno 1a
Stage 2 fib, some necrosis
TX naive
1/29/15 ALT61; AST43
2/16/15 Started Harvoni; VL 1.5 m;
2/19/15 ALT40; AST24
2/29/15 ALT29; AST25
3/9/15 ALT28; AST25; 
3/9/15 < 20 IU/mL (3 wks) HCV RNA remains 'detected'
3/24/15 ALT30; AST25;
3/24/15 <20 IU/mL (5 wks) HCV RNA
4/10/15 <20 IU/ml (7 weeks) HCV RNA
4/20/15 ALT36; AST27
4/20/15 UND
5/11/15 UND (EOT); ALT33; AST25
6/11/15 UND; ALT 34; AST 29
8/14/15 UND
11/15/15 SVR, 24-wk EOT

Offline MEG

Welcome, getting cured.....I wish you the best of luck on this journey....you may have read through these threads and noticed that there's such a variance amongst us re: which side effects we have and which are most severe. It's all over the place...some folk have few side effects(and generally don't post as much) and others have severe.

My Harvoni experience is different in that I was quite sick with viruses then sinusitis, profound fatigue both before and during most of treatment---essentially bed-bound except for essentials, MD appointments and gentle walks with my dog-- for the last 12 weeks---my last dose is on Sunday....whew!

I will say though, that when I've had periods of feeling physically better(like this past week), these periods of utter brain clarity--all the brain fog gone---feel awesome. Make the difficulty of these 12 weeks worth it for me......Knowing that I am currently negative.....this too gives me strength.

Which is to say that no matter what symptoms you have---I see that your appetite is increased and you're feeling hungry all the time(there is a thread here about this)....keep your eyes on the prize of the CURE....

I do agree with Bubba about the Chrystal Lite. The aspartame is quite a toxin......if you can begin decreasing that and increasing other fluids(soup broths count and they're also filling), it would be great for you...

Wishing you the reward of an SVR.
Meg

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:04:22 am by MEG »
Geno 1a. IL28B+ with TT polymorphism.
Diagnosed 1993.
Liver Biopsy 1993 --inflammation.
Fibroscan 2014---no fibrosis.
ALT range---60s
AST range---80s.
Platelets: 200K range.
Viral load--2 million range.

Began Harvoni on January 23.
Finished 12 week course on April 19.

May 18---4 week EOT labs:
VL: UNDETECTED.
AST: 23
ALT: 22...........These have not been this low throughout treatment and since my 20s.

12 weeks EOT on July 15---Undetected.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Hello Jack and welcome to the group!

Congrats on winning your fight with insurance and on starting Harvoni!

We use a lot of abbreviations you may notice if you have any questions about what the heck we are taking about or about your treatment we aren't doctors as you know but will try our best to answer or at least point you in a direction for and answer.

May you have an easy treatment and SVR forever!
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Gramsgrl

Hi, Gittin Cured, I also started my Harvoni treatment on April 7. I am 1b and tried Pegetron+riba  in 2006. I didn't complete treatment because it just made me too sick. So far my sides on the Harvoni are completely manageable. I have upset stomach most of the time and insomnia most nights. Some headache that is managed with ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I go this week for my first bloodwork and viral load. It seems early but my insurance company will only cover 8 weeks and my Doctor wants to be sure it is working in case he wants to try for approval for the extra 4 weeks. I am excited at the thought of finally being cured. I have had HepC since 1971 but didn't find out until 2001. My last biopsy showed Stage 2 Grade 2. I will follow your progress and many of the others on this Forum with interest! I live in Canada! :D Good Luck!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.