Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:08:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 89
Total: 89

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Test results are in..  (Read 13046 times)

Offline Willow1122

Test results are in..
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:43:02 pm »
Hi everyone :)

The results are in and I haven't looked up what they meant yet. I don't know, I would rather hear from you guys then go through a bunch of medical websites. So here we go..

I had these tests done: WNL CMP,CBC, Vit D, TSH and Pos Hep C 
It said my liver, kidneys, thyroid, vitamin D and blood count where all normal, its a huge list so I'll just include some basics

Alkaline Phosphatase: 53 u/l  RR 33-115
AST: 20 u/l  RR 10-30
ALT: 31 u/l  RR 6-29
Protein total: 8.0 g/dl  RR 6.1-8.1
Hepatitis C AB: Reactive 28.1  S/CO 1.0 (this is lower then my first test)
My first Hep C test: Reactive 32.20 S/CO 1.0

HCV RNA, PCR,QN: 77376 H < 15 IU/mL
HCV RNA, PCR, QN: 4.89< 1.18 log IU/mL
HCV RNA Genotype Lipa: 1a

Thanks for taking the time to look these over everyone! I'm glad the tests are in so I'll know where I stand with this and get the ball rolling!!

Offline Jjules224

Re: Test results are in..
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »
I am sorry you tested positive… I am not sure of all of the results except they sound like they all fall within normal ranges?    You came to the right boards,,, a lot of folks on here understand   blood chemistry and the implications of the results.    But most importantly, a lot of us have been positive for 30 or more years--  living to tell about it :)        I tested  positive ( non A non B ) in my early 20s and I am now 57 and I have kept it well under control but have spent my life living very healthy to support my liver.     
1970s - Contracted HCV
1985 -  Diagnosed non A nonB 
1992 -  DX Hep C (Genotype 1a)
viral load 11,000,000
Started Harvoni April 13
( turned down 3 times by insurance-  gutted the equity in my house so I am self pay)   

Happy to meet other folks going through the same journey…. tired of the shame and the disease,

Offline Willow1122

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:18:39 pm »
Thank you Jjules, I really don't know either, I failed chemistry..twice! I have a hard time comprehending means of measurement, metric system and all that jazz. I have yet to see a doctor to explain all of these results to me, so I'm extremely grateful for all the warriors of this forum <3 I eat healthy, drink lots of water and keep my thoughts as positive as I can. I have to say, there is something bittersweet about all of this, it really makes you appreciate every moment and not to sweat the small stuff..I have never felt so free in my life! Thank you for sharing and the best of wishes to you!!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:28:04 pm »
Willow,
You tested positive for hep C, as was already mentioned. Your liver enzymes are only slightly elevated, but given that you have not had hep C long (assuming your risk factor 8 years ago is how you got it), you are female, and I am guessing you are young (under 50). Am I right on my age guess? Your genotype and low viral load mean you would only need 8 weeks of Harvoni. You may have to fight for treatment, because I am guessing your liver is in good shape. You said you live a healthy lifestyle, and I assume that means no alcohol. So, although it is a bummer you have it, you can be cured. Keep in touch.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Willow1122

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:23:26 pm »
Sorry for the late response, I was having Wi-Fi problems..

Thank you Lucinda, Yeah I'm 28 years old and healthy for the most part. I went to my first GI appointment today, met my doctor and discussed a few things. He told me basically everything you said..my viral load levels are low, geno type 1a and that I will probably have to wait for treatment :(  I get it.. the people who are in worse health should be aided first BUT why not just cure people so they stop being contagious or putting their lives on hold from having children or anything?! So dumb! Doc will give me a fibroscan in June so its just the waiting game until then..

Thank you again for the advice :)

Offline Willow1122

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:38 pm »
Also, what does it mean to "fight" for treatment? If my doc or insurance doesn't want to give me harvoni..then what options do I have??

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 07:17:05 pm »
Treatment is recommended for everyone, except those expected to die in a year from a non-liver-related condition.

If your doctor won't treat you, you are stuck, unless either you can convince him/her or get a new doc. If your insurance denies you, then you can appeal it, and most win eventually.

I don't know if you are male or female, but one thing that would make you a higher priority is if you are female and considering pregnancy: "HCV-infected women of child-bearing potential wishing to get pregnant have higher priority for treatment." http://www.hcvguidelines.org/full-report/when-and-whom-initiate-hcv-therapy

Here are some things to read that may be helpful: http://blogs.hepmag.com/lucindakporter/2014/12/hepatitis_c_treatmen_4.html http://blogs.hepmag.com/lucindakporter/2015/02/hepatitis_c_argument.html
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/hepatitis_paps_copays_20506.shtml
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Willow1122

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 07:34:02 pm »
Nice :) I'll read them now..thank you!! I'm a girl by the way haha, sorry forgot to mention it..

Offline Willow1122

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 07:59:35 pm »
Just finished the articals... I'm sure I'm not the first person to tell you this, but you are an amazing woman!! Thank you so much for being an advocate for all of us <3 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 08:07:42 pm »
Thank you for the kind words. Also, if it wasn't apparent, your trump card that may ease the path for treatment approval is the fact that you are a women of child-bearing potential - even if you aren't thinking about having kids in the near future, I'd use this to my benefit. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.