Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:30:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: risk or not risk? thanks for your expertise  (Read 7682 times)

Offline vassili2

risk or not risk? thanks for your expertise
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:58:03 pm »
Hello everyone!
I just joined this forum and i value the great job you are doing here.
I have to admit that i lack knowledge when it comes to hepatitis c and i would like to seek your advise and expertise. i do not intend to offend anyone and wish everyone to be well and cured.
I share my place with my brother and i accidentally used his toothbrush less than 10 seconds until i realize my mistake, of course i got him a new one and confess.
I got a bit worried and went online, ''terrible mistake''.
i used his toothbrush by mistake in the evening approx 9 hours after the time he used it.
i am an active blood donor and in a monogamous relationship.
i am uncomfortable having to discuss this with him! is there a risk? what are your opinions on that matter?
ps: i don't know my brother's status

thanks for your help
god bless you  :D

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: risk or not risk? thanks for your expertise
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 11:51:22 pm »
http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm

Hepatitis C FAQs for the Public

Can Hepatitis C be spread within a household?

Yes, but this does not occur very often. If Hepatitis C virus is spread within a household, it is most likely a result of direct, through-the-skin exposure to the blood of an infected household member.

Who is at risk for Hepatitis C?

Some people are at increased risk for Hepatitis C, including

Current injection drug users (currently the most common way Hepatitis C virus is spread in the United States)
    Past injection drug users, including those who injected only one time or many years ago
    Recipients of donated blood, blood products, and organs (once a common means of transmission but now rare in the United States since blood screening became available in 1992)
    People who received a blood product for clotting problems made before 1987
    Hemodialysis patients or persons who spent many years on dialysis for kidney failure
    People who received body piercing or tattoos done with non-sterile instruments
    People with known exposures to the Hepatitis C virus, such as
        Health care workers injured by needlesticks
        Recipients of blood or organs from a donor who tested positive for the Hepatitis C virus
    HIV-infected persons
    Children born to mothers infected with the Hepatitis C virus

Less common risks include:

Having sexual contact with a person who is infected with the Hepatitis C virus
    Sharing personal care items, such as razors or toothbrushes, that may have come in contact with the blood of an infected person

So if your brother has hep c there is a very small risk if concerned wait 6 months and get tested or save the worry and ask your brother.

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline vassili2

Re: risk or not risk? thanks for your expertise
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:57:02 pm »
thanks Lynn K!!  :)

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.