Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:45:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What's the chance of being HCV infection via blood transfusion?  (Read 7541 times)

Offline BeWell

<<-Blood or blood-product transfusions (especially before 1992).>>
Hi, I was diagnosed with HCV 1b in 2005. I realize that it's not really important how I was infected but it still bothers me. I had blood transfusion (2units) in May of 1995. I never shared any needles with anybody or had any situation where I could exchange blood (as far as I know) except for mentioned transfusion in the hospital. I think blood transfusion was the source of my infection but doctor said that it's not possible. After I was diagnosed all members of my family got checked and cleared. Was it really impossible to get hcv via blood transfusion in 1995?

Thanks for support! Because of hcv stigma felt very lonely in outside world until found this forum.
Female 56
HCV 1b
Think I was Infected via blood transfusion in 1995 but cannot be sure.
Interferon/riba/pega in 2010 - responded quickly, relapsed.
Started Harvoni 01/22/2015
4 weeks - virus still detected
Doctor requested extension to 24 weeks; insurance declined; Gilead picked up the bill !!! Battle continues.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: What's the chance of being HCV infection via blood transfusion?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:28:05 am »
My hep c was picked up by the blood bank when I donated in the fall of 1990. Once blood tests for hep c were implemented the blood supply was considered safe just as all blood is tested for HIV.

So while we live in an imperfect world the likelihood is very small. I did find this info from the American Cancer Society

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/treatmenttypes/bloodproductdonationandtransfusion/blood-product-donation-and-transfusion-possible-transfusion-risks

"Hepatitis B and C

Viruses that attack the liver cause these forms of hepatitis. Hepatitis is the most common disease transmitted by blood transfusions. A 2009 study on hepatitis B in donated blood suggested that the risk is about 1 in every 800,000 units or less. About 1 blood transfusion in 1.6 million may transmit hepatitis C.

Work continues to be done to reduce the risk of these infections even further. In most cases there are no symptoms, but hepatitis can sometimes lead to liver failure and other problems.

Several steps are routinely taken to reduce the risk of hepatitis from blood transfusion. People who are getting ready to donate blood are asked questions about hepatitis risk factors and symptoms of hepatitis. Donated blood is also tested to find hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, and liver problems that could be signs of other types of hepatitis."

Many people don't know where they got hep c as far as the stigma whether you say you don't know or you feel sure you got it from that transfusion won't make any difference to the world out there. They may believe you they may not. It won't change a thing about what the world thinks.

I know where I got hep c I was 19 away from home in the Army and I had a roommate who did the needle. I tried it all of three times and moved on. That was 37 years ago a life time ago I was not a bad person then and I am not a bad person now and anyone who thinks less of me because I was a crazy kid well they can just kiss my "what?"

Not religious in any way but makes me think of "judge not lest ye be judged".

I figure it is their problem not mine or yours or any of us we are all good people and deserving of human respect no matter how we got hep c.

Ok stepping down off of soap box now
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:33:23 am by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline BeWell

Re: What's the chance of being HCV infection via blood transfusion?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:52:03 am »
Thank you Lynn!
You are very kind and generous - with your time and heart.
Female 56
HCV 1b
Think I was Infected via blood transfusion in 1995 but cannot be sure.
Interferon/riba/pega in 2010 - responded quickly, relapsed.
Started Harvoni 01/22/2015
4 weeks - virus still detected
Doctor requested extension to 24 weeks; insurance declined; Gilead picked up the bill !!! Battle continues.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.