Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 09:59:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: antibody test window for hepatitis C  (Read 10806 times)

Offline neibet

antibody test window for hepatitis C
« on: April 26, 2015, 04:31:19 pm »
 I a bit confused about the test window for heptitis C.
in 2013 I have been tested about 4 months (exactly 19 weeks) after a potential exposure.

The test included HIV and hepatitis C antibodies tests. both tests came negative.
Would you consider those tests conclusive?

2 years later I had a routine blood check and my liver enzymes were quite elevated : AST 56 and ALT 92. All other liver functions were ok. however my blood  cholesteral tests were over the normal limit values.
  I have read that my AST ALT values could be caused by chronic hepatitis C. could this be my case ? could my high cholesteral levels cause high liver enzymes values ?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:47:18 pm by neibet »

Offline Mike

Re: antibody test window for hepatitis C
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:52:21 pm »
The antibody tests you took in 2013 wold be conclusive.

Given the elevated enzymes, which could be due to a variety of factors i.e., heavy drinking, new medication, bruising  and so on, your doctor will probably want to investigate this. A Hep-C antibody would be something that should be checked.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline neibet

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:36:24 pm »
Hi Mike,
  thank you for your reply, I was checking the forum and I have read that in certain posts they state that HCV Antibody tests are conlcusive at 6 months. My tests taken in 2013 were at 19 weeks, 5 weeks short of the 6 months mark, my ALT when I took the tests was 52 slightly elevated.
   how likely is it that I have developped HCV antibodies in the 5 weeks after I have taken the test ?

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:58:27 am »
Hi Neibet,

It would be highly unlikely that you developed the antibodies in that 5 week window.

For peace of mind, however, you could have another HCV screen completed, which should  put this to rest for you.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline neibet

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:07:02 am »
Hi mike.
  Can the hcv ab index be interpreted if it is below 1.0
when I had the test the index was at 0, 025 is this considered low ?
 Or doesnt it matter at all ?

Offline Mike

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:01:01 pm »
It should be OK; but a positive Hep-A/B tests involves a couple of tests and are read together.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. You can always be retested for piece of mind.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.