Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:36:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Joint Pain  (Read 7221 times)

Offline Hep Editors

• Hep Mag
Joint Pain
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:23:52 pm »
People with the hepatitis C virus, as well as HIV-positive people (plus, those who are coinfected with both viruses) report much higher levels of joint pain than the rest of the population, says a new aidsmap study.

Researchers say inflammation caused by both diseases is likely the cause. Other contributing factors included increased rates of depression and anxiety in HCV+ patients, plus smoking, which makes joint pain way worse.

For more info: http://www.hepmag.com/articles/joint_pain_2501_27167.shtml

Offline Mike

Re: Joint Pain
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 03:49:21 pm »
I'm not sure what conclusions can be drawn from that research given these facts:

"28% of adults report joint pain, aching, or stiffness in the past month. Joint pain
increases with age: 15% among adults aged 20–39 years; 34% among adults aged
40–64 years; 44% among those aged 65 and older. Nearly 50% of older women
(47%) and older black, non-Hispanic adults (47%) report joint pain."

Furthermore:

"Over 100 million adults in the United States—51% of the estimated 215 million
population aged 20 years and older—report pain at one or more body sites including the joints, low back, neck, face/jaw, or experience dental pain or headaches/migraines.Over one-quarter of adults aged 40 years and older report low back pain in the past."

Additionally, it is noted that the vast majority of those infected with HCV were born between 1945-1965 (meaning most are between 50-70 years old), it appears that this may relate more to wear-and-tear over the lifecourse, than any single pathology.

Thus, the researchers concede:

"Our study was limited by its cross-sectional design, use of convenience sampling, our inability to perform physical examinations and obtain imaging studies to rule out osteoarthritis, and the relatively small sample. In particular, there is the possibility that patients with joint pain may have been more likely to complete the survey. Additionally, we were unable to determine the specific etiologies for the joint pain. While many patients reported a diagnosis of arthritis, we did not confirm these diagnoses on physical examination or further testing. Furthermore, some patients were prescribed analgesic medications, and these patients might have less commonly self-reported joint pain. Finally, our study evaluated patient-reported joint complaints present within the one week prior to the survey date. Thus, there may have been patients with intermittent joint pain who were not identified in this study. However, use of the one week time frame limits the risk of recall bias and is the time period specified on the MD-HAQ for assessment of disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis."

Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline grateful908

Re: Joint Pain
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 02:36:47 am »
Hi. I started Harvoni 14 days ago. About a week in, I started experiencing joint pain. Left big toe, left thumb, and left knee. About Day 10, My feet started swelling, then it spread to my hands, now my wrists. My hands in particular are swollen unbelievably. My wedding ring is now so tight from the swelling I'm thinking of cutting it off because that finger is starting to look a little blue. I've been taking 500mg. of Ibuprofen 2-3 times a day, 50mg of Tramadol 2 times a day ( self prescribed ) and I've been starting my day with the above plus one Vicodin.( self prescribed ) Starting my day like that is a necessity otherwise I'd be kneewalking ( or crawling ) around. I need to work, I'm just another fella, not a Rockefeller... Oh, and I take 50mg of diphenhydramine before bed each night. I haven't taken so many different pills each day for twenty years. I can deal with the pain, but I'm VERY concerned about the swelling. Oh yeah, I've been taking OTC diuretics for the past two days. If all this stuff is helping me, I'd hate to see how I would be without it !!!! As for the swelling. I'm hoping my kidneys aren't shutting down or something like that. Has ANYBODY had the same or similar symptoms ???

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.