Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:46:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Weird blood test 8 mos after SOVALDI/olysio  (Read 8430 times)

Offline amocuatli

Weird blood test 8 mos after SOVALDI/olysio
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:01:36 am »
I've been having elevated iron, and something about an iron ratio. I feel like crap tired all the time.
They are going to keep testing but is anyone else having problems with elevated iron in their blood?
When I looked my results I found that the results I got back can be indicative of an autoimmune reaction. Oh hepatitis C, how I detest you!!

Offline Hepless

Re: Weird blood test 8 mos after SOVALDI/olysio
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:11:34 am »
Having elevated serum iron can occur for various reasons.  Additional blood tests that should be done are ferritin and transferrin saturation.  If ferritin and transferrin saturation are elevated, then you could have iron overload.  Iron overload has various causes.  It's common in patients who have chronic Hepatitis C.  Also, there are gene mutations that can cause an iron overload disease called hemochromatosis.  I've had chronic Hepatitis C since the 1970's, and I've had iron overload since the 1990's.  I just started taking Harvoni a week ago, and I've been hoping that my iron overload will go away when my Hep C is cured.  I hope your elevated iron is just a temporary anomaly!
Hepless

64 years old
Genotype 1a
1996 Liver Biopsy (F0)
2006 Liver Biopsy (F2)
2015 Fibroscan (F2)
2013 VL 6,217,390
2015 VL 4,446,630
Treatment Naive
8 Weeks of Harvoni Prescribed
Began Harvoni Tx 05-13-2015

Offline Ledoc01

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:49:04 pm »
More testing is needed to be sure. It'd be nice to know how long you've had the elevated iron. I had it before I stated HCV Tx but it'll be interesting to see what changes IF (I'm not counting ANY chickens... or even other birds) I clear the HCV.
In my case...they don't know just WHY I have elevated iron levels, it could be related to the virus or not. I only have 1 marker for hemochromatosis which may or may not mean I have that.

<as an aside...I think I should find a job that pays me insane amounts where I can constantly scratch my head like the doctors and declare I don't know.. but I digress>

In any event...my ferritin levels WERE up to about 1200; normal is ~ <50 soooo,
they bled me. Medieval as heck eh? Just drain and toss. Over time the level drops.

It's kinda harsh.. at least for me cuz I'm chronically anemic. Oh well.

That's the oddest effect I've seen from Harvoni btw...my hemaglobin and hematocrit levels went up. My hemaglobin was like 11.7 when last checked... normally it's more like 10. It'll be interesting to see if clearing hcv has a sustainable impact on those levels. I haven't had the ferritin checked... I have to remember to remind the doc to order that test when I do my 12 post VL test.

I'm going to start pressing harder for answers from now on. That's one of the big takeaways from this whole thing...we (*I*) let Doctors get away with too much ambiguity. "Exactly what does that mean?" is something that's going to come out of my mouth now.

It helps me to remember that the Dr. isn't sending me any $; that means I employ them not the other way around.

Good luck m8 :-)

Offline amocuatli

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:16:23 pm »
Good luck to you all in your journey I will do anything to irradiate this virus from the world FOREVER!
Regarding blood test I went and got the numbers ferritin is low normal/ Reticulocutes/100 erythrocytesNFr:Pt:Bld:Qn:Automatedcount 1.1 (normal) TIBC NORMAL UIBC 129 low;normal starts at 150 to375 iron 175 normal 35-155 iron saturation ratio 58% and im telling you I can barely make it through the day!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.