Hepatitis C Main Forums > Living with Hepatitis C

symptomps

(1/3) > >>

neibet:
How long does it take for symtomps to appear After Iinfection.I was feeling quite well till one month ago when I had a throat infection. The doc gave me antibiotics and since then I started to experience random upper abdominal pain in both right and left sides and now I am starting to develop some jauandice in me eyes. At the time of my throat infection o my alt was 92 and cholesteral levels above limit.

Lynn K:
Most people infected with the acute form of hepatitis C will experience illness and symptoms like fatigue and vomiting within the first six months after exposure. In many cases, the disease never even causes symptoms. When it does, symptoms are typically mild.

The disease may improve or resolve without treatment. However, it leads to chronic infection in 75 to 85 percent of cases. The chronic form may cause long-term problems in the liver, including liver damage and liver cancer.

What Are the Symptoms of Acute Hepatitis C?

Symptoms don’t always appear immediately. Symptoms may be noticeable within 14 days in some people. Others may take as long as six months to produce any sign. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the average period is six to seven weeks. However, 75 percent of people who contract acute hepatitis C will never experience any symptoms.

Symptoms of acute hepatitis C range from very mild to severe. They include:

nausea
vomiting
loss of appetite
fever
fatigue
abdominal pain
joint pain
dark urine
light (clay-colored) bowel movements
jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)

Your doctor will draw blood to check for HCV antibodies to diagnose hepatitis C. Antibodies are substances produced by your body when it’s fighting an infection. If you have HCV antibodies, your doctor may order a second test to confirm that the virus is still present. If your second test is also positive, you have hepatitis C.

Elevated ALT can have many causes what has your doctor said to you about your ALT and cholesterol test results? Both ALT and cholesterol can become elevated due to being overweight for example.

Upper right quadrant pain is not normally associated with acute hep c infection. Left quadrant pain should have no association with hep c

Have you been tested for hep c? What was the result?

neibet:
Thank you lyn for your prompt reply.
I have seen a general doc one month ago .he examined me for jauandice liver pain and swollen legs and he found none. He asked me to loose some weight and to get back to him after 2 months for a blood test and liver scan.
The last hcv test I did was 2 years ago and was negative.

Lynn K:
If negative 2 years ago do you have a reason since then to feel you had a risk of exposure to hep c as in a blood to blood contact?

If not the likely explanation is you don't have hep c and your blood test result causes will best be determined by your treating physician.

Congrats on not having hepatitis c

neibet:
I have tested 19 weeks after potential exposure. I just recently learned that the window period can be 24 weeks For hcv. So now I am concerned I had late seroconversion 2 years ago.  I did read that late seroconversion occurs for people with weak immune systems. Can the use of antibiotics delay the generation of hcv antibodies ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version