Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:31:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question about taking Sovaldi and Ribavirin please! :)  (Read 10079 times)

Offline CureSeeker

• Virus Free! Happy Dance Time!
Question about taking Sovaldi and Ribavirin please! :)
« on: May 28, 2015, 06:01:59 pm »
Today's a great day for me!  I picked up my first 30 day supply of Sovaldi and Ribavirin.  Yay!!!!  I cant thank the world enough, lol.

I need to work while taking the treatment.  I dont have an option with the Ribavirin - 3 in the morning and 2 at night. 

The Sovaldi I do have a choice.

I was wondering about how other people take the Sovaldi. 

Is there a particular time of day that I can take it to help keep my mind somewhat clear and my mood somewhat amiable for work?

Its a stressful environment, and Id like to get off to a good start with treatment.  My hours are normal 9 to 5.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  My doctor is of the opinion that it doesnt matter.

Thanks!  :)

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1
Sovaldi & Ribavirin x 24 weeks

2/23/16 - UNDETECTED!  SVR12 achieved.  :D
6/21/17 - UNDETECTED!  1.5 years post treatment.
July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Question about taking Sovaldi and Ribavirin please! :)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:01:15 pm »
I did not have any side effects from sovadi Olysio last year.

When I treated this year I treated with Harvoni Ribavirin the only sides I had were anemia from the riba. Ribavirin
the tough one for most people kinda makes you feel like something the cat dragged in.

Just take the Sovaldi at a time of day you will consistently remember to take it would be my best suggestion.

Good luck on treatment :)
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline CureSeeker

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:25:21 pm »
Thanks so much for the reply Lynn, and gratz on completeing your treatment.  Your siggy seems like you have been through enough, so, best wishes for being clear for good. *thumbs up*

I was afraid the Ribavirin would be the issue.  Bummer.  But I was hopeful that the time of day I take the Sovaldi could be helpful - I guess the doctor knows best, lol.

Thanks again!  :)
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1

July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »
Hi CureSeeker. Congrats on starting treatment! :)

I am surprised that, as a Genotype 3 person, you are only on 12 weeks of Sovaldi+Riba and not 24 weeks, which is the standard length of treatment for ALL Geno 3 people on Sovaldi+Riba. Geno 2 people get to do 12 weeks. Geno 3 people need 24 weeks for the same effectiveness and cure rate. Here is a link to a Fact Sheet on that:

http://hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Sovaldi_GT2-3.pdf

Is it possible your Dr. has not looked closely at the situation and doesn't realize that Geno 3 people require twice as long as Geno 2 people? You might want to ask him/her about that.

I am Geno 3a also.

All the best to you,
kim :)
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Francis60

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:11:40 pm »
Hi Cureseeker,
I am also surprised you are only doing 12 weeks the standard of care for 3a is 24 weeks rba/sol.which I have just finished.  .
I tried to take my pills at the same time every day, getting a pill counter really helped. Make sure you eat when you take Riba, drink heap of water. I took 2 riba and ! solvaldi in the morning and 3 riba at night.
Cheers
Liam
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:13:22 pm by Francis60 »

Offline CureSeeker

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:22:43 pm »
Hi Kim and Liam!

Thanks for the input and advice.

I was surprised myself when I read that on the Gilead site today, however, I am prepared to get hit with 24 weeks down the line.  Ive read that researchers are looking into shortening treaments as well, so maybe Im a test case, lol. 

All I really care about at this point is the great reviews Sovaldi has gotten, and my approval for access to the drug.  I have a drug plan but these drugs are excluded from the plan.  I had asked my doctors about plans that were covering the drug, and they had said right now only Medicare and Medicaid were really covering them.  Im not old enough for Medicare, and not working-poor enough for Medicaid.  My doctors arranged for the drugs which due to my income I am getting free of charge.  I feel like Ive won Lotto right now, lol.

Im good with 24 weeks if I have to.  No worries.  :) 

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1

July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.