Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:51:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 94
Total: 94

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thoughts on a freak accident..  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Willow1122

Thoughts on a freak accident..
« on: June 03, 2015, 04:28:28 pm »
Hello All

So, here's the situation..I found out I was Hep C+ in March of this year and have since started on my journey for treatment.

I have a camp in the mountains that I go to every weekend. It's actually a camp ground with other people and is dog friendly. About 2 weeks ago I was at camp and a friend of mine brought her dog up and wanted to have a play date with my dog. I advised her that my dog is very hyper and usually annoys other dogs that he plays with. She said "that's fine", her dogs disposition is the same. When we first introduced them, they both started to try an establish dominance in an aggravating matter. So I pulled my dog away and said this is not a good idea. She said it was ok, they're trying to work it out. Instead of listening to my gut feeling , I listen to her and let them continue. Very bad idea. Our dogs got into a huge fight, very scary situation!! Finally we were able to separate them. I had gotten bit on my finger and she has a couple scraps from all the chaos. We checked on each other, no major damage and the dogs were fine.

Soooo, it clicked a few days later.."Oooh shit, I have hep c!!" I called her immediately to let her know. I told her she can get a blood test now, but for it to be conclusive, she should wait 2 months and take care of herself until then. It was very hard to tell her but I did the right thing of course. My PCP says the chance of my blood splatter getting into her open cuts is low risk but that doesn't mean impossible. I feel horrible and very low that I could have infected someone like this :( Have you ever heard of such a thing?!!

On another note..This is exactly why everyone Hep C+ should be getting the cure!! Instead of being made to wait because "We're not sick enough"

Thanks for reading, I know nothing can done now but I thought I would share

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Thoughts on a freak accident..
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »
Hi Willow,

If it had been me in your situation, I wouldn't not spend any time at all feeling horrible about this. You don't want to start thinking of yourself as a leper or an untouchable. That is all part of the unfortunate stigma associated with this particular illness. And that stigma is what has left the public in such ignorance about it. And, of course, this is why most people don't "out" themselves while they have it. And it is why the majority of people currently infected don't even know they have it.

The reasons I wouldn't worry or feel badly about this incident are:

a) Likelihood of her becoming infected in this scenario is so very low.

b) The cure is here - the problem is simply one of distribution and economics. If she did by some remote chance develop chronic HCV, by the time she would have to do something about it, there will almost certainly be a simple and readily available cure.

c) It was her own pushy and ill-considered behavior that led to this blood-letting. People have to take some responsibility for the consequences of their actions and choices. I would say you are taking more than your share. Let her take her share. Guilt and regret are very unhealthy energies that fuel disease.

How are things going for you otherwise, Willow? Any progress on getting set up for treatment? Don't forget about the the option of getting your drugs through a clinical trial like I and many others are doing.

All the best to you,
kim :)

Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Mike

Re: Thoughts on a freak accident..
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:36:52 am »
Hi Willow,

It would be almost impossible for transmission under these circumstances and I would not worry about it.

On another note, I had to break up a dog fight last year when 2 dogs started fighting and of one dogs locked on to the other. The best way to stop this was to pour water directly in to the nostrils of the dog who locked on. The dog immediately released it's bite and we were able to separate the two.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.