Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:46:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Doctor trip  (Read 10386 times)

Offline brotherjoeg

Doctor trip
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:09 am »
I received my treatment meds on June 9, took 3 ribavirin / 1 harvoni ,( now take 3 ribavirin am. 3 ribavirin and 1 harvoni at night ) it's been one week. I had to call and set up appointment 1st. Dr. visit( which is okay with me ), I've been seeing my doctor for the past 10 yrs,
 It wasn't a nice trip thought, seems I went off on my wife and told her a few incentive things. You see she told me I was using my meds as an excuse to erupt in a childlike manner. So I wrote that in my mind, meaning I shouldn't have these kind of symptoms, only muscle aches, and fatigue, unable to sleep. So today it dawned on me that my true nature is to be loud, hurtful, uncaring.
So when my Dr. asked how I was doing I said I was having a bad day, why, because I was just being myself. He then told me my meds have no side affects, that my emotional state was due to my cirrhosis, that my bowels where letting impurities into my brain ,( stinking thinking ) and that was why I was reacting so negative ! Well I felt great after hearing that, but I did want to be alone and didn't feel like being a part of family, guess I needed to go ( stinking thinking). So that's what I did  I'm kind of worried ? Because I liked it. No Arguments no insensitive   issues'.
  Just wanted to post it's 2:37am pst 
           PS. I thought the impurities were to go out with the waste ? I wonder is it a side effect if its hanging out in the brain? I got to waite a month before I can ask my Dr.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Doctor trip
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:09:54 pm »
You could possibly be describing a build up of ammonia in the blood due to the reduced ability of the liver to function properly if that is what you are talking about it is not from bowel problems but an effect of advancing liver disease.

Hepatic encephalopathy is a symptom of cirrhosis experienced by many with cirrhosis which could be what you are describing. Just to add some people do have emotional side effects from Ribavirin.

Do you know if your cirrhosis is considered compensated or decompensated? Have you been evaluated for a liver transplant and are on the transplant list? Have you had an upper endoscopy to check for esophageal varicies? Are you checked with abdominal ultrasound and a blood test called AFP every six months to check for the development of liver cancer (HCC) ? Are you seeing a hepatologist associated with a liver transplant center which you should be with advanced liver disease (cirrhosis)

Good luck on treatment
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline brotherjoeg

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:13 am »
Thanks Lynn K for responding, Yes I do have all the test you suggested, not the transplant thought. Now that is a gloomy picture. But something to ask my Doctor?
 I am just trying to live life and take this treatment! I read all the post and well their is something missing and that's living with this virus and the meds we are given, the options offered and then moving on. I am in a crises, yes I am aware of this and as treatments are made available then I look into them. I am confidant with the abilities and knowledge he has, he referred me to UCLA medical dept. and their was given the test  as well. The Doctor there supported my Doctor's  finding.
 At times I question my Doctors knowledge but in the end he is right on.
 I wanted all my test results so I could post them here, my reasoning , but He kind of put it in perceptive, this is the beginning of my treatment, lets see what positive results we have and from there move on. The drugs I take for this time are the best for now. I guess I like to be a little blind, then whats next on the treatment market.   

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:57:45 pm »
Going to UCLA medical department means you will be seeing a doctor who is associated with a liver transplant center.

This does not mean you need a transplant or need to be on the list. It just means that they are most experienced in treating patients like us so we can get the best care

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline brotherjoeg

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:59:50 am »
A lot has happened since my Dr.'s trip post. most of all I've learned a little about Riba rage. I think if I would have know about it during my doctors trip, I could have made sense of what I was going through. I think sometimes we need to have a broader view in order to help shape the way our emotions toy with us during treatment. I know today as complications arise I am more apt to deal with them in a positive manner. Yes my red blood count is way off, and that sends up red flags ! But talking to my nurse lets me know there are ways of dealing with it. But what about the emotions that come which give rise to fear, impending doom, or just the fact without any color death.  Caught up in my own man made hell I am left to my emotional breakdown and in order not to cause any more pain to family, friends  I just rage about something they have no thought of. Maybe at the time Not knowing what's happening is like the virus siting inside me waiting to express it's self. It's here and now you are going to have to live with it. Really?  No there are ways to treat it and go on with the more important situations of life. I choose to live today no secrets from love one's, allowing them to share their love, concern and deepest hopes with me. I know I may not make sense but then again that's part of the hep c experience no!

Offline brotherjoeg

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 04:40:05 am »
7/14/2015 8)
on my way to Yosemite with wife and three grandkids!! am still on treatment but will try and enjoy my family. Thank you LORD!! Last year while up in Yosemite my MOM passed and yet I had a great time with my grandkids, this year will be the same. Living life on life terms.. Hope everyone is well and blessed today meeting the test of treatment and enjoying the LIFE. talk to you when I return.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.