Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bloating? And weight gain.  (Read 16381 times)

Offline HCVGENOTYPE1

Bloating? And weight gain.
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:29:29 am »
Hello guys n gals, I am new to this today, I have had hep C since about 24, I'm 36 now, I have failed 2 treatments and since the last triple treatment have put on about five stone and look like I am pregnant. Has anybody else experienced this at all?

Offline Walkinthawoods

Re: Bloating? And weight gain.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:20:35 pm »
On my 14th week of Harvoni.  Interferon/riba treatment '97.  Have not gained that much weight only about 5 pounds since on Harvoni but have been dealing with terrible bloating for the past 2 years.  Have stopped most sugars, cheese/dairy to no avail. My Gastro scheduled a CAT scan and awaiting results.  Would love to know if others are experiencing bloating, what may be causing this and suggestions on how to minimize this.

Offline MontanaBlue

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:06 am »
Hi,

I have had bloating several times.  I did cut out milk and cheese and only now see bloating here and there.  I drink Soy milk and no bloat.  I have gained weight, but I think it is mostly water retention.  I will weigh myself in the am and then in the pm and I have gained 8lbs. I eat healthy all day.  No breads, pasta, processes anything etc... Tonight I am not bloated, but tomorrow is another day.  Who knows on these meds how you will feel from day to day.  Adjust what you are eating and see if that helps.  Worked for me.  Good luck!

Offline pherlocher

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:39:20 pm »
Hello,

I'm hoping some of you that have posted about this are still out there. I'm interested in knowing how you're doing post treatment with regards to bloating and weight gain. I'm 2.5 wks post treatment, HCV 1b, Harvoni only and am still experiencing bloating and weight gain. I've gained 12 lbs and look 5 months pregnant. I'm a small person so this is a lot of weight for me to gain.  I've eliminated sugar, gluten and dairy with no success.  I had an abdominal CT yesterday which was essentially normal. My doctor doesn't know how to help. We're going to try a short course of diuretics. I'd love some feedback from anyone out there that is experiencing this.

Thanks!  I'm in need of support! 

Offline CureSeeker

• Virus Free! Happy Dance Time!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 05:52:47 pm »
Hi,

I'm not weighing myself, but my clothes are getting tighter, and in the morning my feet hurt.

I had issues keeping my weigh up prior to treatment.  During treatment (Sovaldi & Ribavirin x24 weeks) no issues at all.  Suddenly, one day after a blizzard, my appetite skyrocketed, and I was going to the frig like food was some new invention no body ever heard of before. 

Also post treatment I have become very gassy, lol.  When I was little, my Mom used to lovingly call me, 'fartblossom' and even my husband used to lovingly call me, 'you little fart'.

Who knew the day would come when I would suddenly live up to those titles?  *shrugs*

As long as labs and diagnostics are good, I am going to look at this as part of the post-therapy adjustment process everyone's body seems to go through.

I hope people post more about this if they are experiencing it.  Maybe its just a natural part of the overall post-treatment healing process?  Maybe a natural part of the aging process too?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1
Sovaldi & Ribavirin x 24 weeks

2/23/16 - UNDETECTED!  SVR12 achieved.  :D
6/21/17 - UNDETECTED!  1.5 years post treatment.
July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 06:46:58 pm »
I have a small amount of fluid retention but only detectable on ultrasound which is due to my liver cirrhosis and what is called ascities. I take a diuretic, Spironolactone, to help with my lower leg swelling (edema) and my fluid retention.

Severe ascities in cirrhosis can make the patient have enough swelling to appear many months pregnant. This can be treated with diuretics and if not responding to diuretic treatment the patient may need to have paracentesis performed where the excess fluid is drained from the abdomen.

Have you been diagnosed with cirrhosis or had an abdominal ultrasound to check to see if the cause is excess fluid build up in the abdomen?
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 08:57:10 pm »
CureSeeker, since Harvoni includes Sovaldi, perhaps my experience is relevant. My very first day on Harvoni, I suddenly had a voracious appetite which was still with me nearly five months after treatment ended. I just looked at the "clinical summaries" my various doctors hand me at the end of each visit and see that I gained one-and-a-half pounds during tx and another 6 pounds after EOT. My amount of farting increased markedly, too. (What my dear spouse says is, "Where's my gas mask?")

Beginning on February 22, I began following the Always Hungry Solution diet (as closely as I can given some other medical limitations) as described in the book Always Hungry? by Harvard endocrinologist David Ludwig, M.D.  Just during these first two weeks, I've lost 5 pounds. Not only that, but during these two weeks I'm farting much less than I have in many, many years. What makes that all the more remarkable is that this diet is full of beans -- literally! I gave this diet a shot because it claims to reset one's metabolism, and it seems to have done so for me. Still, two weeks is a very short time, so please consider this just a recounting of my experience to date.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline CureSeeker

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:24:49 pm »
Thank you, LynnK.  I certainly think your post applies to the OP and a few others on this thread, but Gnatty seems to have hit the nail on the head for my experience.

I'm guessing my morning foot pain is more closely related to RA.  I have aches and pains in other areas now too, but the feet in the morning is rather startling.  My feet aren't swelling like with edema.

Lol, Gnatty, I'm so explosive right now that the thought of beans is downright terrifying, but I'm very uncomfortable with the weight gain and embarrassed by the gas, so I would try anything.

I've already tried digestive enzymes and even live probiotics to try to get the flora and fauna of my digestive system back on track, post treatment. I'm sure its helping me in some way or another, but it hasn't decreased my appetite any or helped with the gassy problem either.

Always Hungry?

Why, yes.  Yes I am, lol.  Even when I'm full, I want more.  When it started right after a blizzard I thought my body might be going into some primal hibernation mode. 

I switched to raw vegetables to munch on instead of more fattening treats, and even a protein drink which is supposed to cut cravings, and it isn't helping either.

(Anyone reading this please note:  If edema is an issue for you, or you have a compromised liver, do not try protein powders without consulting your physician first.)

Thanks for the suggested reading, Gnatty.  Maybe a trip to an endocrinologist is in order.  You have at least given me another area to explore for some relief.

Thanks so much! :)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:34:38 pm by CureSeeker »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1

July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 12:07:08 am »
I didn't bloat up too bad on harvoni. But yes during the first 12 weeks of TX I could have powered my truck directly on the methane. My GI was not convinced and I was tempted to pull a blue angle right in his office just to show him that I was not kidding. My clinic nurse believed me however because I caused her to evacuate the room when she did a follow up at 4 weeks!

So yes getting the old butter churn back in action can cause you to create more unfortunate by-products of digestion.

A standard ultra sound is really important to ascertain the levels of fluids in the abominable spaces. Don't forget you might just be digesting your food more efficiently and this can lead to weight gain. The liver returning to a more normal state of affairs can bring on some unexpected results.

We cannot forget that this is the first time in history that so many people have recovered from cirrhosis and we will all recover differently, so there will be patterns of recovery that should be carefully studied and recorded by the clinicians and medical researchers.

;-)
Eric

Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline CureSeeker

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 07:23:57 pm »
*jumps up and down waving arms wildly in the air* 

EUREKA ! 

I have discovered a miracle elixir!!!!

4 oz. of Aloe Vera Juice in my smoothie in the morning. 

80% less high-octane AND no more bloating AND coincidently - appetite calmed down finally.

Quite honestly, I couldn't be happier right now.  :D

Lol at the truck, Eric.

I will be getting that Ultra-sound in the next week or two, but I'm pretty confident I'm not retaining water, at least - that's my story, and I'm sticking to it, until proven otherwise.

SAY NO TO EDEMA!  ;)

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1

July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.