Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:46:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 70
Total: 70

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: help with a few questions  (Read 7839 times)

Offline sharkie

help with a few questions
« on: September 08, 2015, 11:37:32 pm »
I am done with the 12 week harvoni program,I have an appointment with the doctor on thur sept 8 to see if I still have the virus in my system.
After 2 weeks it was clear and couldn't understand how fast it worked in just 14 days of taking harvoni.
I can't help not thinking about it and just worried it might not be gone.
Also my stomach has been making all kinds of noises like when your hungry,I have to turn the radio on and try to drown out the sound when I'm in bed,anyone else have these problems plus my appetite has been anything but normal.
When it starts to get in your head and you can't think of anything else you got to ask questions to others who are going threw the same.
THANK'S

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: help with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:14:19 am »
Hi, sharkie.

You are kept awake by stomach rumbling; I sometimes get awakened by hunger pangs. You are not alone in having an abnormal appetite from Harvoni treatment -- others in the Hep Forums have mentioned that, too.

Your post contains three excellent questions to ask your doctor:
1. How is Harvoni able to work so quickly?
2. How can I be sure the Hep C is gone?
3. Why does my stomach grumble so much / why the abnormal appetite?

Answers from your doctor are better than my speculations, so I'm glad your appointment is nearly here. Please let us all know what the doc says.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline sharkie

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:29:43 pm »
Thanks,tomorrow is the big day I guess,I still have to go another year to find out if it is completely out of my system.But I will ask those questions for sure this time,I've written them down.
Thank's again

Offline sharkie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 12:24:05 am »
First test after finishing harvoni is still not showing the virius,I completly forgot what I wanted to ask the doctor because I was happy about the results.
But the question that I really wanted to no was how long does it take a liver to heal to 100%,in my case I was hit by a car and had a torn liver in 1958.
Also the reason I am here in these forums,I had a blood transfusion at 10 years old.
THANK'S
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:27:21 am by sharkie »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:35:14 am »
Depends on how much damage you have more damage will take longer and if you have cirrhosis it is uncertain if the liver will recover at all. But no matter how much damage you have there is no timeline time heals with time.

How long does it take a scar to heal 100% ?
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:48:59 am »
 Hey Sharkie! So happy for you on your excellent results.I have a loud stomach too .I think its just the meds stirring things up! As to your question about healing the liver, I'm sure everyone is different.Did you have a biopsy or fibroscan? My friend had a large part of her liver removed 2 yrs.ago & had lots of checkups at M.D.Anderson hospital after the operation.Within a year her Dr. told her her liver had returned to normal size.Pretty impressive bodies we have!  I think you said at 2 wks. you were undetected .Did you have only one test during your 12 weeks?My Dr.  ordered tests every 2 weeks .Seems like alot but she wants to know if we have to appeal for 3 rd month.I am on an 8 week tx.
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
Started Harvoni Sept. 5, 2015
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
12 wks.post tx.feb.11,2016
UNDETECTED!!!
24 wks. post tx. may 16,2016
UNDETECTED Fibroscan  F-0!!!!!

Offline sharkie

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 11:56:24 pm »
Thanks for that info about the liver returning to its normal size.As far as the test go I had one test at 2 weeks and another at 12 wks,I had one fibroscan before I started the harvoni and I'm getting another before I go back to the doctors in a month.
Thanks for that info.

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 03:00:13 am »
My stomach has seemed to normalize after treatment. FINALLY Thank heavens! During treatment it was noisy as hell and at times sounded like a cement mixer. Worse than that when I first started on Harvoni I swear I could have powered a natural gas engine my flew flew valve was going non stop, I was a human woopie cushion to say the least for at least the first two months.

I even managed at times to offend our cats, they would get up and leave the room when the going got really bad. This is them when they were little.

I still have pains in my liver and at times discomfort but I am certain that my liver and entire digestive system is better off than it was prior to treatment.  There is much that we will have to get used to and having better digestive system functions sounds like one that I can live with.

Before treatment I found it hard to stay hydrated was beginning to have some digestive issues because of cirrhosis. I was starting the slide into liver failure but now it seems the only trouble is a little mild discomfort in my upper right quadrant the same as I had years ago before I progressed to full blown F4. 

Now it is time to get active again and make my liver work for a living.

Cheers and only the best as you and everyone heals from this terrible disease. I am sure you will reach SVR and cured.

Eric
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.