Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:09:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 69
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Big Changes in Gilead's Support Path for Harvoni  (Read 32665 times)

Offline Else

• Appeal, appeal, and appeal again!
Big Changes in Gilead's Support Path for Harvoni
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:14:50 pm »
In a letter dated July 1st, 2015, Gilead stated that it will no longer pay for medication for people who have been denied by their insurance.  "Specifically, patients who are insured and who do not meet their payer’s coverage criteria will no longer be eligible for support via Gilead’s Patient Assistance Program."

I called Support Path yesterday to verify what I had read.  Yes.  It is true.

They go on to state that "a very small number of patients fall into this category."  Really?  Lucky me.  I was one letter away from a full-packet, qualifying submission.  Anyway, I don't believe that it's a very small number of patients.

In any case, I can't afford the medication.  For a while there I felt lucky I was too sick to work.  The additional income would have put Support Path out of reach.  Now I'm feeling very unlucky that I have insurance.  If I was uninsured, I would still qualify and get medication.

This roller coaster really has me tapped out.  I'm starting to think I should work on not caring anymore.  It comes at too high a price with no ground gained.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
ALT: 58 AST: 39 ALK: 105
Viral load 4,201,950 IU/ml
Fibroscan 6.5 (F1-F2) Fibrosure 0.36 (F1-F2)
Treatment-naive
After 3 denials, finally approved!
Harvoni 12 wks - start date 9/15/15
4 wk labs 10/14/15
ALT: 12 AST: 16 ALK: 85
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
ALT: 13  AST: 15  ALK: 77
12 wk (EOT!) labs 12/8/15
ALT: 11 AST: 15 ALK: 78
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
ALT: 22 AST: 17 ALK: 61
HCV Not Detected!! SVR10!!!
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Big Changes in Gilead's Support Path for Harvoni
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:47:48 pm »
WOW! That seems like pretty big news to me. And I agree with you Else - I do NOT believe that it is a very small number of patients who will be affected by this new policy of Gilead's. Judging by what so many patients posting on these forums have been going through, I think this new policy will negatively affect a great many people and their ability to get access to the drugs that will cure them.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline HepKitty

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:22:49 pm »
Else, I am so sorry to hear this. I am currently waiting for my insurance company to approve me for Solvadi and I understand the frustration and anxiety this process can cause. I thought that I would be eligible for Support Path now don't know what I will do if they refuse me except to try for a clinical trial somewhere. If you have not looked into that maybe you should as well you can search at: Clinicaltrials.gov

Also I would keep appealing with your insurance company. I am not sure if your doctor can use additional diagnoses to advocate on your behalf? You may need to emphasize the seriousness of your condition. Whatever you do don't give up hope. Keep trying and hopefully very soon these cures will be easily accessible to all of us. Good luck!

Offline Hillgill

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:07:59 pm »
Yep been through failed treatments several times, waited on this treatment and now I have been denied through Express Scripts and Support Path. Lots of pain and anguish for nothing...

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 06:22:52 pm »
Sadly, this is true about Gilead. I agree - keep appealing. Also, try http://www.hepatitisc.pafcareline.org/ or Help-4-Hep  877‑Help‑4‑Hep (877‑435‑7443).

Fingers crossed that Merck comes through with a patient-friendly product.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline morning_glory

• This is the first day, of the rest of your life...
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 10:34:21 am »
In a letter dated July 1st, 2015, Gilead stated that it will no longer pay for medication for people who have been denied by their insurance.  "Specifically, patients who are insured and who do not meet their payer’s coverage criteria will no longer be eligible for support via Gilead’s Patient Assistance Program."

I called Support Path yesterday to verify what I had read.  Yes.  It is true.

They go on to state that "a very small number of patients fall into this category."  Really?  Lucky me.  I was one letter away from a full-packet, qualifying submission.  Anyway, I don't believe that it's a very small number of patients.

In any case, I can't afford the medication.  For a while there I felt lucky I was too sick to work.  The additional income would have put Support Path out of reach.  Now I'm feeling very unlucky that I have insurance.  If I was uninsured, I would still qualify and get medication.

This roller coaster really has me tapped out.  I'm starting to think I should work on not caring anymore.  It comes at too high a price with no ground gained.

:'( I am in shock & very upset by reading this... but before I overreact... is there a link to this letter/info?

Thank you & Blessings,
MG
Likely infected - mid 70's / Diagnosed - mid 90's
Geno type - 1a
AST - 45
ALT - 51
Viral Load - 435,120
Liver Biopsy 6/2004 - F1-2
Fibrosure 5/2011 - F1-2
Fibrosure 2/2014 - F-0
Treatment Naive, prior to Harvoni
Harvoni started on 5/16/15
8-week Treatment Completed (7/10/15)
4-week bloodwork (6/11/15) Undetected, AST 15, ALT 17
8-week bloodwork (7/13/15) Undetected, AST 14, ALT 16

Offline Else

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 12:54:15 pm »
I don't know how to attach a .pdf file to this message board so here's how a 'copy and paste' version looks.  The only  thing missing is the letterhead.  Apparently it was posted on a HCV advocacy site on Facebook by an Andrew Reynolds.  I believe the site is Hepatitis C Family and Friends.  It is a closed group.  I don't have an FB account so I couldn't ask to join if I wanted to.

It's been driving me nuts that I can't find a link or reference to it, independently, on the internet, though it could be my crappy tech skills.

But I did call Support Path and they verified the contents of the letter.  I don't even know who the letter was sent to.  "Dear Community Partners" - whoever they may be.

I've been in contact with Support Path (with a patient reference #) since late March.  They have ALL my contact information. You'd think they would have contacted me rather than let me carry on with a patient assistance intake packet that was now ineligible.  How many weeks or even months would I have waited to find out what is clearly stated in this letter dated July 1st???

"Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Dear Community Partner,
Gilead has always been an advocate for patient access to therapies in the areas in which we work. I am writing to provide you with an update regarding Support Path, our patient support program for individuals living with chronic hepatitis C.
As you may be aware, Support Path is designed to help patients in the U.S. with high co- pays or who lack adequate insurance access Sovaldi or Harvoni. The Support Path program provides assistance to patients who are uninsured or who need financial assistance to pay for the medicine.
Key components of the program include:
In the interest of facilitating patient access in the period immediately following the launch of Sovaldi and Harvoni, the Gilead Patient Assistance Program (PAP) made these medications available to virtually all patients who met financial and other program requirements. Gilead also implemented significant discounts for its HCV therapies across different payer groups. While many payers responded to these discounts by opening access broadly, some payers have continued to restrict access despite the discounts.
As a result, our PAP criteria enabled continued restrictions by some payers by providing a generous route for them to deny access and refer patients they have chosen not to cover. While we have approved many of these patients in the past, we feel it is necessary to establish more specific guidelines for patient eligibility. Our PAP was designed to help uninsured patients with the most need, and changes are necessary to remain true to that mission. We believe these changes also will help increase access among those payers who continue to restrict access.
With that in mind, effective July 1, 2015, the following changes will be implemented. Gilead anticipates these changes will not impact the majority of patients helped by our patient support programs.
Specifically, patients who are insured and who do not meet their payer’s coverage criteria will no longer be eligible for support via Gilead’s Patient Assistance Program. Patients who fall within the category of “Insured and Did Not Meet Payer Criteria” are patients whose insurance providers limit access to Sovaldi/Harvoni based on, but not limited to, the following:
 Fibrosis score restrictions
 Preferring or exclusively covering another product on formulary (i.e., Viekira Pak preferred)
 Limiting coverage to a maximum treatment duration or denying subsequent treatment after a
patient has failed therapy
 Step-therapy requirements
 Clinical criteria (e.g., psychiatric requirements, drug and alcohol testing)
It is important to note that a very small number of patients fall into this category. Support Path experts will continue to treat each patient case individually and consider a number of variables when assessing patients for our free drug program.
 The Sovaldi and Harvoni Co-pay Coupon Program, which minimizes monthly out-of-pocket costs for eligible patients* to as little as $5 per month
 The Support Path Patient Assistance Program, which will provide Sovaldi or Harvoni at no charge for eligible patients
*You are not eligible if you are enrolled in a government healthcare prescription drug program such as Medicaid or Medicare
Part D
For Sovaldi and Harvoni patients who are insured and have been denied coverage by their payer, Support Path can assist patients with the requirements for submitting appeals, peer reviews and understanding the process for in-person hearings if required.
Gilead continues to support open access to hepatitis C therapies – with prescribing decisions made by a physician in partnership with his or her patient. We will continue to work with payers to provide information that conveys the profile of our hepatitis C medications and the benefit of curing individuals living with the virus. We believe that payers should take the responsibility to provide coverage for their insured patients based on the treatment decisions of their healthcare providers.
Through Gilead’s Support Path Program, which provides a comprehensive suite of patient assistance resources, we are committed to our mission of helping patients in financial need access our products, and to ensuring our patient assistance program reaches eligible uninsured patients.
As always, we appreciate the ongoing dialogue with our community partners and look forward to continuing to collaborate with you on efforts to expand access to life-saving therapies.
Best regards,
Coy Stout
Vice President, Managed Markets Gilead Sciences, Inc."
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Hillgill

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 06:43:35 pm »
I was denied by Support Path just this week due to these reasons.  They did offer to assist with an appeal to my insurance company though. Again we wait.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 12:12:53 am »
Andrew is a community partner. I believe they are patient care advocates working in our behalf
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline morning_glory

• This is the first day, of the rest of your life...
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:57 am »
Else,
Thank you for posting the letter.

I am hoping and praying for those who had started the process of getting HCV medication through Support Path - Praying they may be "grandfathered-in", before this decision was made by Gilead.

Blessings & Prayers for those needing a cure,
MG
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:42:50 am by morning_glory »
Likely infected - mid 70's / Diagnosed - mid 90's
Geno type - 1a
AST - 45
ALT - 51
Viral Load - 435,120
Liver Biopsy 6/2004 - F1-2
Fibrosure 5/2011 - F1-2
Fibrosure 2/2014 - F-0
Treatment Naive, prior to Harvoni
Harvoni started on 5/16/15
8-week Treatment Completed (7/10/15)
4-week bloodwork (6/11/15) Undetected, AST 15, ALT 17
8-week bloodwork (7/13/15) Undetected, AST 14, ALT 16

Offline sapphire101

• "Stop worrying and start living"
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 11:50:57 pm »
Thank you Else for posting this information.
I have read and reread the letter to Community Partners and I cannot figure out just who exactly is the Support Path going to assist now.

They will no longer assist people who have insurance, but did not meet payer criteria which is probably half of the patient volume. They wont help anyone on Medicare which is everyone over 64 and a big piece of the baby boomer cohort group likely to have HCV. They wont assist Medicaid which is largely made up of our citizens on a low income.

Who is left to help?

Sapphire101
Genotype 1a Fibrosis level 1
Viekira Pak with ribavirin 12 weeks
Pre treatment  VL  1.7 million, AST 45 ALT 65
EOT VL not detected, AST 21 ALT 21
12 week SVR not detected,24 week SVR not detected.
Cured! Class of 2015

Offline sapphire101

• "Stop worrying and start living"
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 11:59:05 pm »
I do agree with Gilead's statement that their generosity may have enabled insurance companies to continue restrictions and to deny access and refer patients that they chose not to cover.
This cutback on patient assistance from Gillead may be a way to force the hand of the payers and ultimately widen the access for all.

Still very frustrating for all of those needing the medications.
Sapphire101
Genotype 1a Fibrosis level 1
Viekira Pak with ribavirin 12 weeks
Pre treatment  VL  1.7 million, AST 45 ALT 65
EOT VL not detected, AST 21 ALT 21
12 week SVR not detected,24 week SVR not detected.
Cured! Class of 2015

Offline Else

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 02:47:59 pm »
I do agree with Gilead's statement that their generosity may have enabled insurance companies to continue restrictions and to deny access and refer patients that they chose not to cover.
This cutback on patient assistance from Gillead may be a way to force the hand of the payers and ultimately widen the access for all.

Still very frustrating for all of those needing the medications.

I can't use "generosity" and "Gilead" in the same sentence with a straight face. 

Think of the timing of their U.S. television media blitz.  April 18th or thereabouts.  I've also recently received hefty mailed advertisements.

So April 18th for T.V.  Average time to get in to see a doctor may vary.  My hepatologist's handout estimated 6 to 8 weeks for prior authorization and insurance approval.  Along with the assurance that if insurance denies twice, there is always Support Path.

I do not believe the timing of the media rollout and the July 1st policy change was an accident.  Do those commercials look like they're geared towards an uninsured population group?  Nope.  They're targeting middle America.  Who get to find out, in the bottom of the 9th inning, after months of fears and stress and hope that they will not receive treatment because they have insurance.

Manufactured outrage.  And outrage not at them but at the insurance companies.  Very clever.  Price-gouging is no longer the focal point. 

Big Pharma is evil, plain and simple.  Maximizing profit is the core tenet of every policy they make.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 02:50:54 pm »
Very astute assessment, Else. I am inclined to agree.

kim
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 10:03:13 pm »
I'd like to add to Else's comments that medical providers are averaging 8 hours of unpaid time spent on each patient trying to secure approval. Doctors are pulling their hair out.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Else

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 12:13:56 am »
I'd like to add to Else's comments that medical providers are averaging 8 hours of unpaid time spent on each patient trying to secure approval. Doctors are pulling their hair out.

Unpaid time?  I think that's a really unhealthy way for medical providers to view the situation and really detrimental to doctor/patient relationships.  It's bound to breed resentment on both sides.

As a highly trained professional, I would eventually resent patients that took 8 hours of my labor without paying.  As a patient with full insurance who also pays their bill in full and in a timely manner, I would resent the implication that I was mooching free services.

Lose/lose perspective.

It's not really unpaid time.  The insurance companies are arbitrarily altering the contracts they have entered into with medical providers and that is wrong.  Providers waiting an average of 8 weeks to get compensated for their labor is also wrong.  But it's still a contractual agreement that the medical providers have entered into so they can have "preferred provider" or "in network" status.  And that agreement guarantees a flow of patients through their doors.  (They could elect not to accept insurance and to require patients to pay up front and file their own claims.  They would lose those patients.  If they could keep their doors open at all, it would be a very small practice.)

In exchange for access to a large patient base, the provider agrees to network discounts applied to their rates or a ceiling rate for any particular service.  They also agree to submit claims on behalf of their patients and pay for all the clerical support that facilitates this process.  Increasingly, every year, insurance companies foist more and more of their administrative duties onto the doctor's office staff.  The labyrinth of obtaining PA's is just more of the same.  A lot more.  But it is a contractual agreement they're entered into voluntarily and they are, in fact, getting paid.  They've struck a poor bargain.  There's a difference.  Words are important. 

Look how Gilead finesses their press releases.  They don't want to be "enablers".  They've been so "generous".  You'd think they ran non-profit orphanages.  It seems that both large insurance companies and Big Pharma encourage an adversarial relationship between patient and doctor.  It serves them both well.

F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 04:16:43 pm »
Actually, most don't resent it. They are as pissed off as their patients because they see that this blocked access to medication wrong. And yes, it really is unpaid time. You can only get reimbursed for direct patient services.

Personally, I have never worked with a doctor who would turn their back on a patient. I know there are some uncaring ones, but I have been fortunate in working with amazing human beings - some, like myself, give our time away. I do it because I want to - not because I have to.

Don't take my word for it - go to this site and click on the webinar and listen to Dr. Trookin http://nvhr.org/content/webinar-strategies-hepatitis-c-treatment-access She freely gave her time for this.

I spent an entire day lobbying in Sacramento with others in healthcare. One flew from San Diego - his flight was paid, but his time was not. He flew in for the day. We did it because we want this nonsense to stop. He gave up a day of work, figuring it would pay off for his patients. The good news is, the legislature approved more than we requested.

I spent 3 days in D.C. the same month - again with other advocates, some in healthcare. We were not paid. We lost this one. We will try again next year.

We could use some help - hope you will join us in this fight. NVHR is one place to find out what you can do.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Else

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 05:22:19 pm »
I didn't mean to imply that all doctors resent their patients or are uncaring.  There IS an undue amount of bureaucratic b.s dumped on doctors that has little to do with direct patient services.  And it gets in the way of their ability to help their patients.  I don't doubt for a second that most if not all are pissed off.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for those that give so selflessly of their time and efforts in patient advocacy, both on the politic front and support services.  That is unpaid time, but maybe pays richly in knowing one is trying to make the world a better place.

I appreciate the work you've done and will definitely look into the NVHR to see what I can do to help.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 07:07:51 pm »
Hi Else,

While you certainly have a right to your opinion, I don't agree with your assessment of medical providers.

Specifically:

"..it is a contractual agreement they're entered into voluntarily and they are, in fact, getting paid.  They've struck a poor bargain.  There's a difference.  Words are important."

To be frank, when was the last time you went to work and said, "Gee, I'm not going to punch in today. I think I'm just going to work all day for free." ?

I'll wager you have never said or done that.

Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Else

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 08:22:22 pm »

To be frank, when was the last time you went to work and said, "Gee, I'm not going to punch in today. I think I'm just going to work all day for free." ?

I'll wager you have never said or done that.

Mike

You'd lose that wager.  Have you ever worked in sales?  Or been a small business owner?  I've worked all day for free more times than I can count.

But the tone of my post was harsh and judgmental.  I regret that.  I'd hoped I'd made it clear that doctors in private practice are getting royally worked over by insurance companies.  Delayed or denied reimbursements and a financially burdensome amount of clerical work required to do business.

But they don't punch in; they're not paid an hourly wage.  They're either salaried employees or small business owners paid per service.  And when your hours go up and your compensation doesn't, it sucks.

I'm sure doctors DO resent insurances companies rather than the patient.  But medical providers are human beings.  It would get under anybody's skin to be thinking, "I'm working on behalf of this person for free."  It just not a healthy mindset, IMHO.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Mike

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 09:54:57 pm »
I have never worked in sales, which is an occupation that is generally remunerated by commission (or performance goals). A  salaried employee gets paid regardless of going the additional mile.

A  salaried physician gets paid to see patients. They are doctors - not billers, coders or support staff.

Doctors are well verse in dealing with insurance companies - especially doctors who work in private practice (a dying breed I might add). Insurance denials (pre-certifications for treatment) are part of the everyday job.   

Knowing this, I fail to see why a doctor would resent a patient because the physician  had to deal with an insurance company denial. This is an everyday occurance (denials) and happens across the disease spectrum.

Mike

Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Else

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 10:30:04 pm »
Geez, Mike.  I just posted
I'm sure doctors DO resent insurances companies rather than the patient.
  And they do.  I think it was posted earlier that they're tearing their hair out?

What's with the "I fail to see why a doctor would resent a patient"?

People do not appreciate working for free was my point.  If that's their perspective. 

I'm not doctor-bashing here.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 11:03:16 pm »
I agree totally with your comments on all of this Else.

And Mike, if you truly cannot see why a doctor would (wrongly) end up resenting and possibly even expressing that resentment to the patient over this situation with insurance companies and the considerable extra work it creates for doctors, then you must have been very fortunate to have had nothing but very compassionate and selfless doctors throughout your entire life. Few of us have been that lucky. And as you can see from scanning these forums, a great many users are reporting horrendous experiences with doctors who resent them if they merely ask for their lab results. Doctors frequently direct their impatience, frustration and resentment at the easiest and weakest and most disempowered party in all this, which if (of course) the patient - not an insurance corporation.

You have nailed it, Else. Good for you for doing so. Thank you. Helps many here.

Best,
Kim

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 05:03:57 am »
I must look at salaries a little differently. As a professional in a managerial role I am paid a salary. I'm not paid by the hour. My job takes as long as it takes. I have minimum hours but no maximum because there are times when I might need to go to training, meetings, work on weekends, attend to phone calls "after hours" and manage employees, manage the work place, liaise with contractors etc among a plethora of other activities.

I always thought of doctors as being in a similar position to me.

CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline Mike

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 08:00:35 am »
Kimintheforest,

No. I can't say I have ever met a doctor that resented his/her patients due to an insurance denial. In fact, I work in a profession were insurance denials are common and have interacted with 100's of doctors over the past 20 years.

I've never seen this expressed by a single physician nor have I met a patient with this sentiment/experience.

I must be lucky and have some lucky clients.

Mike

Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 05:01:57 pm »
I'm with Mike on this one. I have seen plenty of resentment aimed towards the insurance and pharmaceutical companies, but not towards patients.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Else

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 03:49:16 pm »
No. I can't say I have ever met a doctor that resented his/her patients due to an insurance denial. In fact, I work in a profession were insurance denials are common and have interacted with 100's of doctors over the past 20 years.

I've never seen this expressed by a single physician nor have I met a patient with this sentiment/experience.

I must be lucky and have some lucky clients.

Mike

And you probably never will.  What doctor, while in a business environment, would openly say, "I resent the extra workload that comes with providing services to this patient."  It'll never happen.  Doctors are professionals.

And what patient would say in that same business environment, "Gee, my doctor seems apathetic, inattentive and unable to keep up with his/her workload."  You won't ever hear that either.  Not there.  Patients are utterly dependent on the goodwill of their doctor - they wouldn't dare.  But you hear it HERE.  Anonymously and regularly.

My point wasn't about taking sides.  Nor was it to doctor-bash.  How would you like to go to medical school for 8 years, likely rack up enormous debt, pay exorbitant malpractice insurance only to find yourself in position where you can't provide the quality medical care you trained so hard to do?  It would be infuriating and demoralizing.  And to add injury to insult, their perception is that they're having to do work that they are not compensated for.

You can't address a problem if you refuse to acknowledge it even exists.  The problem is that we do not have a Health Care System.  We have a Health Care Industry.  That's an important distinction.  And in any service-based industry where the employees are frustrated, under-compensated and disrespected (for example, when doctor's medical decision-making powers are usurped by the insurance companies), the quality of service tanks.  And, right or wrong, the dissatisfaction is almost always taken out on the consumer.

To add fuel to the fire, if a patient expresses frustration in a lack of communication or timely services, what's a very human doctor going to think?  "This person is not only costing me money (unpaid time!) they're ungrateful to boot."  I think it's terribly unfair to expect doctors to be saints, crusaders or selfless workers.  They're just people.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Mike

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 06:03:36 pm »
The clients I work with have no problem speaking out against a doctor - no problem whatsoever. In fact, I have helped many change to another physician for various reasons.

However, this was never due to a doctor resenting a client due to paperwork or an insurance denial.

To address this:

"...if a patient expresses frustration in a lack of communication or timely services, what's a very human doctor going to think?  'This person is not only costing me money (unpaid time!) they're ungrateful to boot." 

Have you ever thought that the doctor might not like the patient's attitude? Or the doctor might resent an 'unjust' accusation? Is there is such things an over-demanding patient with unrealistic expectations?

Have you ever heard of a self fulfilling prophesy?  Paradoxical distortion or other intrapersonal  dynamic other than money?

I have a hard time using a board-brush to paint an entire group of professionals.

Are there bad doctors? Sure. But that is the exception not the rule.

Mike

Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 07:14:31 pm »
Yes, they are just people. And one thing that bothers me is that we tend to paint our opinions by how we think, rather than on evidence. There isn't one-size-fits-all definition of "people."

I worked and socialized with my colleagues. I feel sure about my opinions becuase I can back it up with nearly 20 years of field work. In general, the doctors I worked with didn't even come close to your assessment of them. Sounds like you have had some awful experiences. Sure wish I could send you some of my favorite docs Else.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Else

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 08:26:46 pm »
I really am mystified why you both are so invested in interpreting my posts as generalized doctor-bashing.  Of course there's no one-size-fits-all definition of people or professional groups.  Of course not. 

Yet it's as if I've said nothing else.  Very strange.  ???

F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Mike

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 08:43:28 pm »
Else,

You start a post with "I'm not doctor-bashing", followed by bashing doctors and the entire medical system.

For example:

"The problem is that we do not have a Health Care System.  We have a Health Care Industry.  That's an important distinction.  And in any service-based industry where the employees are frustrated, under-compensated and disrespected (for example, when doctor's medical decision-making powers are usurped by the insurance companies), the quality of service tanks."

Or:

"Doctors frequently direct their impatience, frustration and resentment at the easiest and weakest and most disempowered party in all this, which if [sic] (of course) the patient - not an insurance corporation."

Just saying

Mike  ???
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Else

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 09:11:01 pm »
Mike,

Yes!  I was bashing the entire medical system.  Absolutely.  It does not serve the best interest of doctors nor patients in its current state.  It's a for-profit industry that serves the financial interests of insurance and pharmaceutical companies. 

And the second quote wasn't me.  It was someone who agreed with my line of reasoning.

I don't think I've mentioned that I've had the same family doctor for eleven years and have nothing but admiration for her.  I am extremely grateful to have this intelligent, highly competent woman as the GP for myself and my family.

So really?  I'm the last person who would lump ALL doctors into one group.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 08:41:40 pm »
From the Wall Street Journal

Gilead Limits Enrollment in its Hep C Patient Program to Pressure Insurers

http://blogs.wsj.com/pharmalot/2015/07/16/gilead-limits-enrollment-in-its-hep-c-patient-program-to-pressure-insurers/
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline S.Belle

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 08:14:56 am »
I have read all of the posts in this part of the forum and I must say I am blessed to have a gastroenterologist who put me in touch with Quality Specialty Pharmacy in Tampa. They helped me put together all of the information needed to petition Gilead for financial assistance. I'm on Medicare, but have NO prescription plan and single.

The petition included my tax return, pay stubs for this year (no, I can't afford to live on just Medicare. I will probably work the rest of my life.), a list of my expenses, my Hep-C stats and a cover letter telling them about me and my life. I agreed to give them access to my medical records and progress.

Thrilled to say I was approved and started Harvoni on July 14, 2015.  My financial status will be monitored also. Which means, I can't take a second job, even though I could use the money.

Don't give up and by all means, look for any avenue possible.
Genotype 1
Infected in early 1990's Diagnosed in 2008
No previous treatment
Fibrosure score F3   Viral Load 94,000
ALT 117  AST 115
Started Harvoni on July 14, 2015

Two weeks into Harvoni blood test results:
ALT 13  AST 21
Viral Load  =  UNDETECTED  !!!

Four weeks into Harvoni blood test results:
ALT 14  AST 20
Viral Load  =  UNDETECTED

Five months post Harvoni treatment and still virus free !

ONE YEAR post Harvoni treatment and still virus free !!!

Offline Else

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2015, 10:33:26 am »
Great news, Belle!  Glad you posted and glad that Gilead's Support Path is still helping people.  It's a narrower path than it was, but it's there!  Good luck with your treatment.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
Treatment-naive
4 wk labs 10/14/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline S.Belle

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2015, 05:39:22 pm »
Thanks !  I'm on Day 7 and so far, so good. I take it after work and am ready for bed by 10. Mild headache at times and some light ringing in my ears. But if it works, it's totally worth it.
Genotype 1
Infected in early 1990's Diagnosed in 2008
No previous treatment
Fibrosure score F3   Viral Load 94,000
ALT 117  AST 115
Started Harvoni on July 14, 2015

Two weeks into Harvoni blood test results:
ALT 13  AST 21
Viral Load  =  UNDETECTED  !!!

Four weeks into Harvoni blood test results:
ALT 14  AST 20
Viral Load  =  UNDETECTED

Five months post Harvoni treatment and still virus free !

ONE YEAR post Harvoni treatment and still virus free !!!

Offline w_ink

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 02:40:35 am »
Just found this thread. That's unfortunate news about Gilead's Support Path. I was going to turn there after Blue Shield CA denied coverage of Harvoni and Viekira Pak, when I lucked into a voucher from my doctor for free medication from AbbVie. So if you have genotype 1, Viekira Pak is another option. There are more pills, and for patients who take it with ribavirin, a few more side effects, but it's totally doable and there are quite a few Viekirians in the forums who are encouraging and supportive and have had great results with the V-Pak. I'm not that familiar with how the program works, but here are links:

https://www.pparx.org/prescription_assistance_programs/abbvie_viekira_pak_patient_assistance

https://www.viekira.com/proceed-support
w_ink: 56-years old, female
1976: contracted hep B, likely co-infected with HCV
2007: diagnosed
2011: accepted into clinical trial, dropped out when the required biopsy resulted in a huge hematoma
Genotype: 1a
Fibrosis: 1
Start of treatment with V-Pak and RIBA: 6/25/2015
ALT at start=31; AST at start=24
HCV RNA at start=18,188,000 IU/mL; HCV Log 10=7.260
ALT at 2 weeks=13; AST at 2 weeks=13
HCV RNA at 2 weeks=50 IU/mL; HCV Log 10=1.699
HCV RNA at 8 weeks=Undetected

Offline tracylee56

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 06:10:09 pm »
 I JUST RECIEVED INFORMATION THAT I HAVE BEEN APPROVED BY MY INSURANCE THAT MY CO PAY WILL 120. A MONTH AND BEING THAT I CANNOT AFFORD THIS I WAS RELOCATED TO THE COMPANY THAT HELPS WITH PAYMENT OPTIIONS.  THEY HAVE A COUPON THAT I SUBMITTED ONLINE AND RECIEVED THE INFORMATION THAT MY CO PAY WILL BE 5-15.00 A MONTH. THERE IS HELP OUT THERE. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP JUST GO TO THE HARVONI WEBSITE SITE. I RECIEVED MY MEDICATION THIS MORNING AND WILL START TAKING THIS AUGUST 10TH. I HAVE HAD THIS DIEASE FOR 27 YRS AND HAVE GONE THROUGH 3 DIFFERENT TREATMENTS.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »
Congrats Tracy Lee on persevering and getting your drugs. And welcome to the forums and the Harvoni journey.

best,
kim

Offline slats1056

• SVR to all and to all a good life!
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »
   Man, I really don't know where to start after reading this. I guess start out by thanking my lucky stars for My Gastro & his staff as well as bcbstx ins., and southside specialty pharmacy here in Texas! After all Hospital, outpatient,labs,office visits & bills over a three month period it took less than a week from recommendation to approval to having My first Rx. in hand. Don't get Me wrong I wiped out my HSA account, met my deductible and out of pocket expense in that three month period. Not to mention work missed(straight commission sales), vacation days used & stressing about all of the above. No work by me at all to actually get the Harvoni. I just wish it was this easy for everyone & I feel really bad for those getting screwed. This should not be at all about big business but HEALTH CARE!!!!! My copay is $5.00 per Rx. Just got word last thursday that My out of pocket expenses have been met for this year.                                                                                                                      Does anyone have a contact for a legitimate organization for donations to help the folks that really need it? I am not rich by any means, but I truly think the Dragon can be slain with a little help. I DO NOT WISH THIS ON ANYONE. The stress involved is enough as it is.
73 non ab 98 hep c refused pegint/riba
6-15 Gen.1b 1/2 MIL ALT72 AST37 No cirrhosis
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks
10-14-15 EOT VIRAL LOAD NON-DET  
12-30-15 EOT+12 VIRAL LOAD NON DET  SVR12            8-9-18 HCV LOAD 1.02IU/ml AST22  ALT30 RELAPSE?
9-18-18 confirmed gt 1b relapse
10-16-18 approved 16 weeks Mavyret

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.