Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:22:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Day ONE of Harvoni Treatment, Genotype 1A...83 pills to Go!  (Read 8253 times)

Offline maxpuppydaddy

• Survivor TYPE: OCD
Took PILL ONE today...83 pills to go. (They only give you 14 pills at a time..) I haven't posted for 3 months...because I had to go through the rejection/appeal/rejection/appeal process that my Doctor told me was standard procedure for those of us with "reluctant" Insurance Providers...or those of us with NO coverage.

I almost gave up hope a couple times........and the anxiety almost killed my Mother, even though we knew we up-front that we would be doing the "get hopes up!!" / "crash and burn depression" cycle each time the doctor requested the medicine from the "virtual" pharmacy that dispenses Harvoni, only to be rejected by the Insurance.

The State rejected me 3 times...then we asked the Pharmaceutical Co. to provide the meds, gratis....and then at the last moment, the State relented.
I guess those medical tests pay off...and Stage 4 Liver Fibrosis is hard to ignore.

For those of you that are waiting...don't EVER give up.....I have had this disease for 40 years now.....and it will be interesting to feel what it is like to have my body NOT fighting the cyclical virus load swings, which occur as your antibodies rise and fall over the months, trying to cope with the virus.

It is absurd that this treatment costs so much. I pray that 12 or 18 months from now, the price drops into the basement, as other competitive drugs come on line.

Stay strong people....and thank the stars that you are alive now, not 5 or 10 or 20 years ago, when we started losing so many brothers and sisters.
Infected between May - July 1975; Genotype 1A
Diagnosed 1990; rejected as blood donor
Biopsy 1991: "liver cell inflammation" (only)
2008 complete physical breakdown
Weight fell from 185 to 118 lbs
2008-2009: 12 mo Interferon treatment
HCV undetected after treatment
Re-diagnosed HCV-positive 2012
12 wk Harvoni Treatment started 07/10/15

Offline Wood stove

Re: Day ONE of Harvoni Treatment, Genotype 1A...83 pills to Go!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:05:17 am »
Congratulation on getting the final approvals to get you started. I have 9 pills left to take so the end is close. The time has actually flown by, the first couple weeks of the treatment  were a little rough but totally manageable ( headache and moody).But these side effects disappeared and I started to feel better and more energetic , I've actually started running .
  I went through a unsuccessful  48wk  Interferon/ribavirin treatment back in 2006 ,So this new treatment is a new lease on life for me.
   Stay positive and drink lots of water. Joe

Offline Hopefulone

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 03:47:21 pm »
I am so happy that your approval finally went through for the medication (Harvoni) and your on your way to being cured! I just wanted to pass on some tips with the medication that has helped me.  I take my pill at night before going to sleep with plenty of water.  In taking it this way, the medication is working right along with my body's natural way of rejuvenating itself;I also felt if there were any side effects I would sleep through them and upon awaking, I feel completely refreshed.  I am now in week five of my Harvoni treatment (of twelve weeks), and I have not experienced any side effects other than being tired. I also make sure I drink plenty of water during the day, 1. to stay hydrated and to avoid headaches.  2. To flush the dead toxins out of body. June 19th, 2 weeks after starting my treatment I had my first labs done.  My viral count was already down to 100 IU/mL from originally starting at  8,360,000 IU/mL! My nurse practitioner, Kathy said by now I am probably in the negative range and I can tell you each week that goes by I feel better and better (no joint aches!).  I will have my next labs done August 2nd.  Well, I hope these tips help, and I wish you the best in your recovery.  Like you, I am so grateful to finally have a cure for this  awful disease, and it is my prayer that treatment for HCV will be easier for everyone to attain who needs it and affordable for all:)

Offline maxpuppydaddy

• Survivor TYPE: OCD
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »
Thanks very much all for support. Some new news from Doctor: the best absorption for Harvoni comes from ensuring you have an acid stomach environment. Taking TUMS  is a no-no!!!! (or any other antacid)........he said this caveat comes from the latest esearch and findings.

He recommended I take meds in early morning with or without food, to ensure the medicine is FULLY absorbed and that it does not just pass through the gastronomical system......to try and endure full effect of absorption.

Thanks again!
Infected between May - July 1975; Genotype 1A
Diagnosed 1990; rejected as blood donor
Biopsy 1991: "liver cell inflammation" (only)
2008 complete physical breakdown
Weight fell from 185 to 118 lbs
2008-2009: 12 mo Interferon treatment
HCV undetected after treatment
Re-diagnosed HCV-positive 2012
12 wk Harvoni Treatment started 07/10/15

Offline Hopefulone

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 05:42:54 pm »
Thanks for the feedback - my doctor did not give me any direction as far as to the best time of day to take the medication, this information helps.  Take care!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 05:48:48 pm »
I was instructed to take my Harvoni at 9:00 am each day. and for me that has proved to be much better than a night-time dosing on this because I get a significant boost to mood and energy and brain function from the Harvoni that lasts at least 6 hours. Can get a lot of work done then. Would not want to 'waste' it in bed.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.