Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:38:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Success  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Happy55

Success
« on: July 12, 2015, 02:44:45 pm »
Hello Everyone!
I haven't posted since I was 6 weeks into treatment.  I guess I was having a difficult time...just wasn't sure I was making progress, frustrated at the poor care by my doctor, not getting labs like I wanted.  Now after it is all said and done, I'm happy to say I'm virus free, was undetected on my final labs.  After getting all that medication out of my system, I am beginning to feel like myself again.  I did write my doctor a letter, telling him that I thought the care I received was sub-par.  His office secretary called to me tell me of my final labs "I'm calling to tell you you're cured".  Never did hear anything from the doctor himself.  My letter stated that if he had any idea of the impact of the notification of a "cure", he wouldn't be having his secretary call me.  I was angry.  But I'm over it.  I feel really better than I've felt in a long time.  So for those of you still in treatment, hang in there. 

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Success
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 04:12:38 pm »
Congratulations Happy55!! I assume the labs confirming your cure were taken 12 weeks after End of Treatment, and showing no virus at that time? Because that it what it takes to establish cure - SVR12.

Sorry to hear about you doctor problems. Judging by the experiences people are posting on these forums, people seem to be getting a wide range of quality (or lack thereof) in their care - with some people receiving excellent care from very knowledgable and HCV-experienced doctors, and others seeming to have doctors that aren't even competent where knowledge around the new drugs for HCV is concerned.

Enjoy your new life! :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Happy55

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:50:01 pm »
No the 12 week labs were not mentioned.  >:(
Have there been patients who had no virus detected at end of treatment who were positive at 12 weeks? That's disappointing to hear and another reason that my doctor has been fired.
12 weeks will be September...
I'll keep you posted.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:04:52 pm »
No the 12 week labs were not mentioned.  >:(
Have there been patients who had no virus detected at end of treatment who were positive at 12 weeks?

I don't know the answer to that question. Maybe others here do. I DO know that there are patients who are detected all the way through treatment, but then go on to achieve SVR12 (no virus detectable 12 weeks after end of treatment). I also know that the entire definition of "cure" for today's new all-oral direct-acting antivirals for treating hepatitis c is pegged to achieving SVR12. If you have no detectable virus 12 weeks after EOT on these drugs, you are considered cured. Viral loads earlier than that are not considered conclusive of cured status.

But you have every reason to believe you will achieve SVR12. So don't lose hope or anything.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.