Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:15:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Week 3 of Viekira Pak with Ribavirin  (Read 10666 times)

Offline Wookie13

• Never give up!
Week 3 of Viekira Pak with Ribavirin
« on: July 11, 2015, 01:00:14 pm »
I'm on week 3 of treatment. I had zero side effects up until about 3 days ago. I practice Taekwondo which is a very hard workout and I noticed for the first time I was struggling way more than normal. No energy and really winded. I also have had some itching, a slight headache and a bit of insomnia but the insomnia has passed and the headaches come and go. But it’s no big deal. I just go about my day. It’ll be over fairly soon, no biggie. I just had my week 2 labs and visit and the Doc says my labs are great! I already am anemic so we are really monitoring my anemia so I don’t get super sick. Anyway, if anyone has any words I’d love to hear from you! Oh, I’m 47 and male. I have Hep C Genotype 1a with no cirrhosis. I got on a Clinical trial with Kaiser. My insurance would've paid for most of it but I would still need over $3000 out of pocket so they informed me of Kaiser’s Clinical Trial So I said sign me up!!! In 5 days we were underway! if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:04:07 pm by Wookie13 »
Gratitude, Gratitude, Gratitude.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Week 3 of Viekira Pak with Ribavirin
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:37:38 pm »
Hi Wookie. And welcome to the forums. Hang in there with the ribavirin-anemia thing! :)

I am in the last 16 days of my Harvoni+Ribavirin. I too have been hit with anemia from the Ribavirin. Your hemoglobin is the number that is important for you to monitor. Ask for your lab results on each blood draw if you don't have them already.

My hemoglobin has now dropped quite low as you can see from my sig file at bottom. It is down to 96. If hemoglobin drops too low, there are risks of heart attack or stroke, which is why doctors will reduce a patient's ribavirin dose if hemoglobin gets too low (or platelets too high). You may not be to that point yet.

I have not been dose-reduced, and for that reason I am being very careful not to over-exert myself if my heart is feeling any strain or my chest is feeling any pressure or pain. Not saying this to scare you. And I may be overly cautious here in my own situation. perhaps I don't need to be that careful.

Other than the low hemoglobin, my side effects have been very minimal throughout, and the benefits are tremendous since I am being cured of Hep C. :)

best to you,
kim
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:26:54 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Wookie13

• Never give up!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »
Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. Yeah, we're doing labs every 2 weeks and so far so good. I'll go through just about anything to rid myself of this virus so I'm in for the whole deal. From start to finish! Monday I'll be on week 4 !!!! I'm on the 12 week plan. I'll be checking in here a lot and posting updates. Thanks for the support and congrats on almost being done with your treatment!!! :)

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 06:18:19 pm »
Welcome to another Viekirian. :)

I'm 15 or 16 weeks into a 24 week treatment w Viekira Pak and riba. I had to dose reduce at about 2 or 3 weeks due to skyrocketing bilirubin. I've tippy-toed around the border of anaemia and seem to live somewhere between 100 and 115. Normally I'm around 150.

Everyone has different sx at different times, but anaemia seems to be a constant with riba and few get away unscathed.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline dearprudence

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 06:10:40 pm »
Welcome Wookie13,
I am on 12 weeks vpak and riba with 19 days to go. Side effects come and go although most of us agree it's really not too bad. Drink PLENTY of water all day long - it helps.
My hemoglobin is steadily dropping  ( at  11.9 now) but not yet in the danger zone. Take it easy when you have to. I find that some days I am full of energy and other days I just crap out!
Good luck!  Prudence

Offline Wookie13

• Never give up!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:09 pm »
Hey dearprudence (Love the Beatles!) , thanks for your reply. Yeah, today I'm feeling good. I've been drinking lots of water, drinking green smothies with tomatoes and other veggies, trying to eat real healthy and getting proper rest. I'm going to take it easy at Taekwondo tonight. I started week 4 of meds today. I'll keep checking in! Thank you for your encouraging words!

Offline dearprudence

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:32:00 am »
Hey dearprudence (Love the Beatles!) , thanks for your reply. Yeah, today I'm feeling good. I've been drinking lots of water, drinking green smothies with tomatoes and other veggies, trying to eat real healthy and getting proper rest. I'm going to take it easy at Taekwondo tonight. I started week 4 of meds today. I'll keep checking in! Thank you for your encouraging words!
you are welcome Wookie13 - yes  keep checking in. we are all cheering each other on! and yes,I love them too! (obviously!)  :) Prudence

Offline Wookie13

• Never give up!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:27:52 am »
My favorite band! Yes, I like how everyone helps each other here! Thanks for your reply and information!
Rubber Soul!

Wookie

Offline dearprudence

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 06:06:10 pm »
You must have started week 5 by now - how's it going? how's blood work? I'm listing myelf in days to go now -12 - instead of weeks.  Can't wait for EOT blood work - cheking for hep  B at that point as well. Had a reactive reading a few weeks ago, but I did have a vaccination back in the 80's so that could cause the reaction. (not worried - it probably did) .  Will get A vaccine and B booster at end of treatment.
Prudence

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 06:24:12 pm »
12 days! Wow.

All the very best for your continued success!
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline dearprudence

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 11:14:57 am »
12 days! Wow.

All the very best for your continued success!
Thanks Philadelphia and the best to you too. I can't wait - getting a bit antsy for it to be over. Will do EOT blood work on 8/3 or 8/4 and will post results as soon as I have them.
Prudence

Offline sapphire101

• "Stop worrying and start living"
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 11:29:00 pm »
Beatles moment for Wookie and Dear Prudence:
I call Norwegian Wood!

Congratulations to everyone here. For getting on treatment and for hanging in there.
I am following all of you and care very much for this to be a successful treatment for all my forum friends.
Sapphire101
Genotype 1a Fibrosis level 1
Viekira Pak with ribavirin 12 weeks
Pre treatment  VL  1.7 million, AST 45 ALT 65
EOT VL not detected, AST 21 ALT 21
12 week SVR not detected,24 week SVR not detected.
Cured! Class of 2015

Offline dearprudence

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 01:25:31 pm »
Beatles moment for Wookie and Dear Prudence:
I call Norwegian Wood!

Congratulations to everyone here. For getting on treatment and for hanging in there.
I am following all of you and care very much for this to be a successful treatment for all my forum friends.

:D Funny Sapphire! I love the whole album!
 anyway, thanks for following and caring - we are all so close to a cure - I truly believe success will come to all of us eventually. I love this forum and how everybody shares their stories, successes and failures and how everybody roots for everybody else to succeed. So happy I found it and so thankful for the company and help throughout this journey.
I am grateful for all of you!
Prudence

Offline Wookie13

• Never give up!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 12:48:10 am »
hahhahah! Total Beatles moment! "Cry baby, cry!"
Ok, well I am cruising along nicely. I'm starting week 8 of Viekira Pak with Ribavirin Monday. I'm so used to the feeling of having the meds in me but am really looking forward to coming out the other side with a big fat CURED on my paper work! I'm doing every single thing on time and spot on including labs, dr. visits, taking meds on time etc. I have noticed it has really slowed me down in Taekwondo. My gas tank empties really fast but i still go and i do feel like I'm bouncing back from that each class. I did my run the other day too and gassd out at a mile and a half which I never did that before. I just keep trying my best! These last 4 weeks will go fast. I just sorta look at it like taking morning vitamins. Auto pilot. Although I dont take vitamins but you know what I'm saying. We just do this till it's done! I have waited since the early 90's for this! It's like a dream! I want to be free from any foreign invaders in my body! So I get occasional itching all over. I just ignore it. I get thirsty so i drink plenty of water all day. I eat really healthy and I drink green smoothies! My labs are amazing and I go back for my next appointment on the 17th. Anyway, thanks for chiming in guys! We even brought in The Beatles! hahahhah! Ok, let me know your updates! I wanna hear!!!

Offline Wookie13

• Never give up!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 12:51:55 am »
Just a reminder: I'm on the 12 weeks Viekira Pak with Ribavirin. ;D

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.