Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:16:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 67
Total: 67

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gallbladder issues  (Read 9133 times)

Offline Kate101

Gallbladder issues
« on: July 10, 2015, 02:11:10 am »
Hello,

Have any of you developed gallbladder issues? I had to go to ER last week and its the gallbladder. I am 3/4 weeks post treatment and negative! My Internist says to wait if I can but referred me to the surgeon. The surgeon is ready to go. I HAVE to get back to work$$$. I am not so worried about the virus coming back, I am worried about the future digestion issues and weight gain.
I am and have been severely constipated/bloated prior and especially during treatment. Also,I have had nausea for several weeks.
I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Kate101

P.S. No chance I am pregnant. lol
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:16:04 am by Kate101 »

Offline CureSeeker

• Virus Free! Happy Dance Time!
Re: Gallbladder issues
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:12:15 pm »
I cant answer your questions.  But, having lost my gallbladder at 27, I was able to put off surgery for a year. I didnt have massive stones, but what was referred to as sludge - a whole lot of tiny stones.

HepC leeches calcium and can create stones in your gall bladder and kidneys.  Maybe even your liver, if you can develop them there too.

Fat causes the gall bladder problems.  Start a fat free diet.  Im not saying sugar free or sodium free - although sugar metabolizes into fat, and sodium causes bloating.

If you ever thought about being vegetarian, now is a good time to try.

Eliiminate dairy first - all dairy.  I used to drink milk or eat ice cream to feel better before I knew what was wrong, and would eventually, sometimes hours later, be in pain and throwing the milk up.  In reality, I was making the problem worse.

I used Mylanta liquid to control the flare ups.  Always had the bottle right on my desk and/or with me.  You never know when something will cause a flare up.  I think I read somewhere that Mylanta has been taken off the market - but although nasty, the pain relief is quicker with liquid than with tablets.

Elliminate foods high in cholesterol, like eggs.

Tofu (soybean curd) is a fat free source of protein that is vegetable based.  It doesnt taste like much of anything, but will take on the flavors of whatever you cook it with.

Steam vegetables rather than fry them.

If you stay a meat eater, choose lean cuts - like pork tenderloin, and remove the skin and fat from any chicken or fish.  Bake or steam rather than fry.

I eventually got the point where eating plain tea and plain toast caused a flare up, but I did postpone surgery for a year - watching my husband and dog eat ice cream while I couldnt, lol.

I hope some of this helps. 

P.S.  To delay surgery can be risky. If the stones block the common bile duct, you can find yourself having emergency surgery instead.  Just because I was successful in delaying it, doesnt mean you will be.

If your doctors feel you have a shot at delaying it, thats one thing.  I can tell you how I avoided it, but I cant tell you that it will definately work for you. 

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:38:02 am by CureSeeker »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1
Sovaldi & Ribavirin x 24 weeks

2/23/16 - UNDETECTED!  SVR12 achieved.  :D
6/21/17 - UNDETECTED!  1.5 years post treatment.
July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:04:03 am »
Had my gall bladder out on Friday in 2008 back to work on Monday. Had laproscopic surgery. I have gained some weight since then but I believe it is more my diet and non exercise that has done that.

Much better than the gall bladder attacks I was having

Good Luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline CureSeeker

• Virus Free! Happy Dance Time!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:40 pm »
Yep, that's the risk - aside from turning green, like my father in law did when he got to the point that his GB burst.  We thought he was going to die.

When I postponed surgery, I was getting cut either way. When you are 25 and faced with a 7 to 8 scar across your side, you tend to want to put something like that off.  Wouldnt go well with my bikini, lol.

Now, you can avoid getting cut.  A small hole in the belly button and another a few inches away make much less noticible scars.

Emergency surgery would probably make cutting necessary, when it could have been avoided - but, if someone's job is on the line...

I work with someone who had the laproscopic procedure a few years ago, and their doctor signed them off for 6 weeks (standard for the old cutting surgery), but, they only have 1 kidney and are borderline diabetic, so maybe healing properly was a concern - Im not sure. *wishes they made a 'shrugs' smiley*

My husband brought me icecream to eat when I was back in room.  :-*
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:33:03 pm by CureSeeker »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1
Sovaldi & Ribavirin x 24 weeks

2/23/16 - UNDETECTED!  SVR12 achieved.  :D
6/21/17 - UNDETECTED!  1.5 years post treatment.
July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline atomic dog

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 02:16:00 am »
GB and Type II diabetes are common among those with liver disease. I was told that I couldn't have my GB removed because Hep C increased the risk of internal bleeding. Now undetected HEP C but still have that funky GB.
Infected 1969, dirty needle
Geno 1a
Stage 2 fib, some necrosis
TX naive
1/29/15 ALT61; AST43
2/16/15 Started Harvoni; VL 1.5 m;
2/19/15 ALT40; AST24
2/29/15 ALT29; AST25
3/9/15 ALT28; AST25; 
3/9/15 < 20 IU/mL (3 wks) HCV RNA remains 'detected'
3/24/15 ALT30; AST25;
3/24/15 <20 IU/mL (5 wks) HCV RNA
4/10/15 <20 IU/ml (7 weeks) HCV RNA
4/20/15 ALT36; AST27
4/20/15 UND
5/11/15 UND (EOT); ALT33; AST25
6/11/15 UND; ALT 34; AST 29
8/14/15 UND
11/15/15 SVR, 24-wk EOT

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 03:35:22 am »
I had my gall bladder removed when I had been diagnosed with cirrhosis F4 a year prior. I already had low platelet counts by then as well but better to have it done while I was stile relatively healthy than have it done as an emergency and with a liver possibly in decompensation at a later date.

Really was no mention of my bleeding issues from cirrhosis. I suppose they can always give you a transfusion if you are having an issue post surgery
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.