Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:35:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Adding Ribavirin to Harvoni treatment?  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
Adding Ribavirin to Harvoni treatment?
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:03:56 pm »
Hi Forum Group,

First, I am Undetected after 4.5 weeks on a 12 week regimen of Harvoni!!!
Hip, Hip, Hooray!!!

I know it seems "standard" for so many at the 4 week mark during treatment, and is not the final end result, however, I just have to say it feels really good to see "Not Detected" in black and white!  And, it's a great indicator.  For all of us, especially previous relapsers, it's a nice feeling to breathe that in and continue in hope.

Since I have seen so many on the forum who are UND post treatment who have had Harvoni and ribavirin, with either ribavirin throughout the treatment or added in later... I asked my doctor about it.  I was thinking about increasing the odds.

He mentioned that side effects will increase (which I knew).  I wasn't even a candidate for the entire course of viekira/riba due to riba side effects.  (This is when I thought I wouldn't be able to get Harvoni and was exploring options.)

He will add it in for the final 6 weeks of the 12 if I want it... (I think he adds if for C3/4 and I'm F1/2).  But it's up to me and I'm not sure if it's a real benefit?

I had an extreme side effects with 48 week interferon/ ribavirin, especially toward the end,  but I muscled through, with chronic cough, procrit and numerous other issues, only to see the virus return within a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to add to treatment given my reaction to it in the past and current platelets are low (120) and WBC low (3.2).

I was thinking adding 6 weeks of ribavirin might "hedge my bets" and yet won't be enough time to get the serious symptoms going.  If ribavirin is started and stopped during a course of Harvoni due to side effects, does that decrease chances for the Harvoni?

I think Harvoni is doing the trick... I just don't want to have regrets and I want to do everything I can to reach a SVR (cure).

I'm doing o.k. with Harvoni, with some tolerable side effects, as long as I take it reasonably easy and listen to my body.  When I overdo it, or get really stressed, I pay for it.

I see the doctor next week and I know we will make a decision.  Any help or suggestions most welcome!  Thank you! 
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.