Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:52:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: any idea how long it takes for the harvoni to leave the body?  (Read 15279 times)

Offline hkillinger99

Just wondering how long harvoni may stay in my system? I am in my 3rd week post treatment, gratefully the vivid, sometimes bad dreams are gone. But I am still so exhausted with terrible sleep patterns and maybe this is typical, I have no idea.  From the time I found out I had hep c to this very day has been less that 1 year.  I was one of the lucky ones to get treatment relatively easy.  But like so many others have mentioned, I'm not sure how long I've had it (18 years at least) and I am not sure what normal feels like and what physical issues I've had over the years were related to the hep c.  Thanks for all of your voices and any ideas or thoughts are always appreciated

Offline atomic dog

Re: any idea how long it takes for the harvoni to leave the body?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 02:11:04 am »
There seems to be disagreement among caregivers as reported on this forum, anywhere between a week and 12 weeks. My own sense is that things cleared for me after about a month.
Infected 1969, dirty needle
Geno 1a
Stage 2 fib, some necrosis
TX naive
1/29/15 ALT61; AST43
2/16/15 Started Harvoni; VL 1.5 m;
2/19/15 ALT40; AST24
2/29/15 ALT29; AST25
3/9/15 ALT28; AST25; 
3/9/15 < 20 IU/mL (3 wks) HCV RNA remains 'detected'
3/24/15 ALT30; AST25;
3/24/15 <20 IU/mL (5 wks) HCV RNA
4/10/15 <20 IU/ml (7 weeks) HCV RNA
4/20/15 ALT36; AST27
4/20/15 UND
5/11/15 UND (EOT); ALT33; AST25
6/11/15 UND; ALT 34; AST 29
8/14/15 UND
11/15/15 SVR, 24-wk EOT

Offline GLCII

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:28:33 am »
I read on here somewhere, where someone said a persons body loses about 50% of the meds about every 3 days. That seemed about right to me.
Pre Tx (VL 12043488) ALT 52/ AST 39
Harvoni Start Date 03/12
2 Week in Tx Results HCV RNA Detected, less than 15 IU/mL. ALT 19 / AST 19
4 Weeks in Tx Results HCV RNA Not detected. ALT 21 / AST 18
12 Week in Tx Results HCV RNA Not detected. ALT 17 / AST 19
--------------------------------------------------------------
Post 12 Week EOT Tx ALT 19/ AST 19 (Undetected)
Post 24 Week EOT Tx ALT 19/ AST 15 (Undetected)

Offline Phil

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 02:33:26 pm »
Here is my previous reply:

As a general rule the majority of any medication will clear the system in 5 to 6 half-lives. For Harvoni, with a half-life of approximately 48 hours, that means 10-14 days or so. At 14 days < 1% of a medication with a half-life of 48 hours will remain. Understand this is not an exact science.

At 48 hours/2 days after stopping Harvoni, 50% remains, at 4 days, the second half-life, half of 50% or 25% remains, 6 days 12.5%, 8 days 6.25%, 10 days half of 6.25% and so on. Every 48 hours half of the remaining medication is cleared/eliminated.

Phil

Offline Phil

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 02:36:00 pm »
My previous post on thoughts of recovery:

Many of us have lived with hepatitis C for so long we have forgotten what normal was like. I haven't noticed many folks who have described suddenly feeling great post treatment. More seem to experience a slow and protracted recovery. Probably as it should be, although we have little in the way of evidence to understand the process. Wholesale cure from chronic viral infections is a new phenomenon in human experience.

For many of us, the hepatitis C virus no doubt caused damage to multiple organ systems for many years. Even if that damage was in part subtle. Just adjusting to the absence of that chronic, generalized inflammatory state which is hepatitis C infection, would seem a slow process. An equilibration involving many of the body's organ systems, particularly the immunologic system. In general the immunologic system is slow to recover from chronic stressors. For example the prolonged recovery time of the adrenal glands after chronic steroid use.

What I'm saying is a protracted recovery is likely to be expected. I'm also saying we are the first group of any reasonable size to experience this process of cure and recovery from chronic viral infections. This is essentially unchartered territory, medically speaking. For that reason, and because we have the technology to easily share experiences, doing so is of value. Trying as best we can to account for factors of other medical conditions and age.

As background I have had hepatitis C, genotype 1a, since 1988. I completed 12 weeks of treatment with Harvoni, 9 weeks ago. I had no prior history of treatment for hep c. Viral load has been "undetected" since early in treatment. In 3 weeks I will undergo my 12 week EOT testing. In 2008 my liver was stage 2 by biopsy. Just before treatment, 6 months ago, my liver was stage 4/cirrhosis by Fibrosure testing. Fibrosure is a questionable test at best. In my opinion.

Phil

Offline Mr. Bob

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 02:01:48 am »
That is  assuming the 10 to15 % approx of the medicine they did not recover from the body and did not know how it was metabolized  in the trials  comes outof the body............ lol....... 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:04:13 am by Mr. Bob »

Offline Phil

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:07:42 pm »
Actually the half-life is the half-life. It is not dependent on knowing entirely the process of metabolism or elimination. Just a measurement of the concentration of a drug in the blood as a function of time. It does assume you can accurately determine the amount of a drug in the human body by following its concentration in the blood. Not always a valid assumption.

Phil

Offline hkillinger99

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 07:38:17 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input, also thanks to Phil for your insight regarding the recovery process.  I'm utilizing the "wait and see" approach, along with some other lifestyle changes that certainly can't hurt.  My husband has it as well and I'm pushing like crazy for him to begin treatment so that we don't keep re-infecting each other, even if the chances are slim.  Blessings and good thoughts to us all and praying there is no crazy recall of this drug later on down the road ;)

Offline Phil

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:47:40 pm »
Please keep posting and let us know how you feel with time. Sharing notes is important. I understand your concerns about your husband being untreated. However my wife has remained hepatitis C negative after more than 20 years exposure to whatever risk I have presented. The first 14 years without us knowing I had the disease. We took no special precautions other than not sharing tooth brushes and razors after diagnosis. I did have to get her to stop using my razor on her legs, which she had done for years, before we knew. We also never worried about sexual transmission of hepatitis C or took specific related precautions. What I'm saying is that although hepatitis C seems to be rather easily transmitted via blood exposure, probably easier than HIV, it is not overly easy to transmit by casual exposure, to family members for example. Still a risk of course so please be careful.

Phil
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:50:33 pm by Phil »

Offline hkillinger99

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 11:22:25 am »
Thanks again Phil for your insight.  Neither one of us is 100% sure how we got infected (both of us previously led high-risk lifestyles) and it is good to know that regular contact (including intimate) is a very low risk for infection.  I still worry though, and will be much more vigilant about everything.  Will update regularly and so far, things seem to be improving little by little. Best wishes

Offline frank

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 01:19:37 pm »
hey guys need some help i am ud after 8 weeks of harvoni everything looked good ,then i got into a serious bout of diahrea and have battling this for a week now ,i have been taking vikiden for the last month due to back pain would that be a trigger for a relapse  get my week 12 results friday and am very nerveous man i am nerveous please respond

Offline Phil

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:58:38 pm »
I assume you mean Vicodin, hydrocodone with acetaminophen. Many people with hepatitis C are on hydrocodone or oxycodone, so you are not even close to alone. Neither of these medications is known to cause problems during treatment with Harvoni, based on the listed known medication interactions. In addition folks on those medications are not being asked to stop during Harvoni treatment.  That said we likely do not have research looking at that question specifically. Unlikely to be a problem but not enough information to know for sure. You could call Gilead and ask if they have any specific insight. They will probably just read the insert.

Phil
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:16:32 pm by Phil »

Offline frank

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 09:08:50 am »
thank you phil

Offline Phil

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 11:54:27 am »
You are very welcome Sir......

Phil

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.