Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:22:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 8904 times)

Offline raduzhok

New to the forum
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:41:45 am »
I was diagnosed in 2008. I don't know when I contracted HCV. My genotype is 1a.
I chose not to do treatment at the time. Finding out I was infected came at the same time as being told I was pre-diabetic. I got info on losing weight, and within that year lost 25lbs. Between 2009 and 2014, I kept working to lose the next 25 lbs and finally managed during 2014. Between 2008 and 2014 my labs show slight elevation in liver enzymes. In 2014, my enzymes went up to very high (both alt and ast) but all my other lab work was within perfect range. My WBC was low.
I began looking into natural ways to support my liver health. It took a year for me to get info on the best supplements. Just started taking NAC, and have several other liver protectant products. I eat pretty much exactly how it is recommended in the books for a HepC diet. Vegetarian, but do eat eggs and salmon, eat only whole grains. Organic when possible.

My partner has been reading up on Harvoni, and is hoping I'll consider it. I'm still researching it. I don't smoke, drink, and only take two regular medications daily.
I'm hoping to get answers to some of my questions about diet, treatment, and other things to do with living with HepC

Rad
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Offline TexasC+

Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:37:45 am »
Do your homework on the Hep C geno 1,  drug and treatment options.  Talk to your doctor and do what YOU feel is best for you. If you do not seek treatment that is your right.
There is a very high cure rate with Harvoni with that Geno type.
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million
unknown date of infection
Sovaldi and ribaviron  24 weeks started 6/1/15
End of treatment date 11/15/2015 VND last 2 labs
3 month follow up 2/22/16 NEGATIVE !! NOT DETECTED

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:13:55 am »
Rad,

You were diagnosed at a 'good' time, assuming there is such a thing... Most people who take Harvoni experience only very minor if any side effects, and the cure rate is high... 

As Im sure you know, HCV is a progressive illness with many increasing extrahepatic symptoms.  People progress at different rates, but liver disease is nothing to fool around with.

Diet and supplements have not been shown to be effective against  against HCV, liver enzyme tests as well as viral load results dont correlate well with liver damage, so Id strongly suggest you investigate with your doctor current treatment options.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:15:37 am by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline raduzhok

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:15:18 pm »
Do your homework on the Hep C geno 1,  drug and treatment options.  Talk to your doctor and do what YOU feel is best for you. If you do not seek treatment that is your right.
There is a very high cure rate with Harvoni with that Geno type.

thank you TexasC+ for answering. I have spoken with a GI doctor who has treated about a dozen people, and of course he recommends Harvoni. I came here to see if I can learn about how Harvoni works, and to see the problems and the progress of EOT.  I hope that talking with people who have gone through the treatment, will help me understand what I will be faced with.

This is the beginning of my homework. I know I have a long road ahead of me.

Offline raduzhok

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:37:03 pm »
Rad,

You were diagnosed at a 'good' time, assuming there is such a thing... Most people who take Harvoni experience only very minor if any side effects, and the cure rate is high... 

As Im sure you know, HCV is a progressive illness with many increasing extrahepatic symptoms.  People progress at different rates, but liver disease is nothing to fool around with.

Diet and supplements have not been shown to be effective against  against HCV, liver enzyme tests as well as viral load results dont correlate well with liver damage, so Id strongly suggest you investigate with your doctor current treatment options.

Thank you, Dragonslayer for answering my initial introductory post.  My actual Dx was seven years ago. I started working to lose weight. It's been successful. I dropped most of the foods which are not good for people with HCV and I'm still learning about what is and is not recommended. 

I have come here to learn more about things like the extrahepatic symptoms. There are things which I've never looked at as being connected to HCV even after being diagnosed. I have Fibro Myalgia. I only learned recently that is one of the conditions which those with HCV can develop.

The diet and supplements I have begun working with are simply to keep my liver less stressed, while I look at what is the best treatment option for me.

So much of 'other symptoms' I experience may or may not be related, but I'm finding that so many things which people experience have been shown to be a consequence of HCV. I'm trying to get a better picture, learning from others experiences, understand as much as I can, be as educated as I can be.

My greatest resistance is that the Harvoni tx has not been studied long enough to know what may or may not really work. Initial good results are definitely encouraging. So while I'm trying make sense of everything - with a doctor - I am seeking to not stress out my body and liver. While I'm aware that diet and supplements are not the 'cure' they can't hurt, according to my doctor. So  now I concentrate on talking to as many people as I can to understand and learn.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.