Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:56:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just Diagnosed  (Read 12375 times)

Offline Kentucky

Just Diagnosed
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:34:40 am »
Hello everyone, I was recently diagnosed with Hepatits C on July 9. I recently acquired the virus as I was just tested last year as a part of getting established with a new doctor and tested negative. My test results are as follows:

Viral Load: 149,040
AST: 143
ALT: 441
Fibrosure: F1
Genotype: 1a

I look forward to getting advice and knowledge about this terrible disease. Im currently taking a multivitamin, garlic extract, dandelion root, and milk thistle as vitamin regiment until my doctor plans a treatment program. Im also avoiding red meat and processed food. I return to the doctor in a month to reevaluate my VL in hopes of clearing the virus on my own.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:37:04 am by Kentucky »

Offline Mike

Re: Just Diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:03:39 pm »
Hi Kentucky,

Any news yet from your doctor?

Please let us know.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Kentucky

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:55:01 pm »
Hey Mike,

I have a doctors appointment scheduled for September 3. I go for a VL test tomorrow and metabolic panel test. Hoping to be cleared but understanding the odds. At this point, Im learning about treatment options.

Thanks for the wishes,
Kentucky

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:31:30 pm »
Kentucky, glad you joined hep forums. They have been very helpful to me.

I am genotype 1a also. You have been diagnosed at a very good time in Hep C treatment for our genotype. If you don't happen to clear the virus on your own, there are two very effective medicines that have extremely high cure rates; the side effects (for those who get side effects) tend to be mild.

It sounds like you are making things as easy as possible for your liver. Please keep us posted.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Kentucky

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:49:47 pm »
Hey Gnatty,

I appreciate the welcome and the forums have been helpful to me as well. I've also been researching into the two medicines you mentioned. My only worry at this time is rejection from the insurance company. I am relatively healthy aside from the hep and afraid the insurance will use this against me. Hoping for harvoni, but Im pushing for vikera as it is to my understanding my insurance company has made a deal with them. I hope the best for you in your struggle and appreciate taking the time to inquire about mine.

Kentucky

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:17:58 pm »
Hey Kentucky,
     I remember the day that I was diagnosed with hep c.  I freaked. I did hours and hours of research, tried to figure out how and why I got it,  tried every herbal remedy known to man, and felt like a lepar to my family, friends, and co workers.  My stress level was pretty high for about the first 3 months.  One thing about Hep c is that it is typically a slow moving process.  I am sure I have had this for 30 years but didnt get diagnosed until 2007.  Its natural to almost go OCD about the whole process.  I will always remember the first Hep doctor I saw and what she said to me.  It was, "relax, although this is a serious disease, it moves at a pretty slow pace, and more than likely you will either die of something else or the cures that they are working on will be available in a few short years, dont be obsessed and stress out." and she was right.  8 years later I am still healthy with no liver damage, was approved for Harvoni on my first doctors request and am on my second month of the pills.  I know its hard but dont put a two ton weight on your shoulders.  Tests will be done,,,,doctor will request your meds,,,,,and you will get cured!!
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

Offline Kentucky

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:28:10 pm »
Thanks. Those words really speak to me as my stress is really high from all this. While being slow moving, at this point it has put my life on a stand still. I'm 23 and in college. While being already hard to meet new people Its even harder to pursue a relationship with this disease. The stigma is definitely affecting my life. I hope catching it early will result in my favor. If not being covered under a private insurance company will hopefully provide me with the medicine. I really just want this out of my body as soon as possible. Ill try to keep your words in mind when Im having a freak out moment.

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 06:37:56 am »
Kentucky, RE: pursuing relationships, I got the Hep C from transfusions nearly 44 years ago and got married 43 years ago not knowing until 13 years ago that I had Hep C. Spouse has remained free of the virus.

You could look at it this way: disclosing your Hep C before beginning the intimate phase of a relationship (there's no need to do it sooner) will drive off the worthless but polish the gem. You'll be embarking on a relationship with the potential for meaningful growth rather than settling for the empty calories of the hookup culture.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 06:52:43 am »
Well said gnatcatcher. Being so young I understand the pain you are experiencing. Luckily you have been diagnosed when there is a cure available.  Most of us on this forum lived for many many years "hoping" for a cure. You are lucky that you can put your social life on hold for a little while and get yourself cured.  I will tell you this, you are going to experience how shitty people can be in the coming months and at the same time an understanding of yourself and what you are made of. Unfortunately there is a stigma that follows this disease and it's unfair, but life is unfair sometimes. I think you will end up being a stronger person when you get through this. Just from personal experience...don't be too quick to spill your guts. I found out the hard way that people I thought were friends were the very ones who shunned me...because of their ignorance, and some things once they are done cannot be undone.

Scout
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 02:03:32 pm »
Hi Kentucky,

Starting an intimate relationship and disclosure was the hardest part for me. It made me feel like "damaged goods" and ashamed.  I felt no one would accept me. This wasn't true - but it was how I felt at the time.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Kentucky

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 03:21:25 pm »
I appreciate everyone's kind words. I am lucky that I was diagnosed at a time there is a cure, I'm just coming to terms with accepting I have a chronic illness for the time being. I apologize if I sound whiney when describing pursuring an intimate relationship and describing the stigma.
 I am fortunate to know early and know there is a cure out there. As this has just happened in the last couple months I haven't really dealt with the emotional side of the disease as I've focused mainly on the physical aspect and giving my body the best chance to fight naturally.
I haven't much of a support system at the moment aside from my parents, one friend, and a soon to be therapist. I came here in search of support and while we don't know each other in person, I can feel the good vibes from the forum. I thank everyone for taking the time to check on me and look into my case.
For those of you cured, thanks for the advice. For those of us still fighting, I hope the best for all.

Kentucky

Offline slats1056

• SVR to all and to all a good life!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 03:51:49 pm »
 Kentucky , Welcome & not to worry. We are living in remarkable times. Best thing You can do is relax & try not to stress. I like Gnatty have had the virus for 40 plus years. Married 37 years with three kids and two grandkids. All virus free. So choose wisely, speak the truth & You will find Your relationship. Discard those who call themselves Your friends if they stigmatize You. They never were truly friends. Your can cure ignorance but not stupidity!!! The cure is there, the complications are many. Hopefully You will have any easy path to getting the meds. and mild to no sides. I have been lucky on the former , but not the latter.  BTW , doesn't sound whiny to me , merely stating the obvious and venting Your thoughts. There is Your first distressing venture! You will find much support & friendship here on the forums.  GOOD TIMES, GOOD TIMES. HEPPERS HOPING FOR SVR FOR ALL!!!!
73 non ab 98 hep c refused pegint/riba
6-15 Gen.1b 1/2 MIL ALT72 AST37 No cirrhosis
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks
10-14-15 EOT VIRAL LOAD NON-DET  
12-30-15 EOT+12 VIRAL LOAD NON DET  SVR12            8-9-18 HCV LOAD 1.02IU/ml AST22  ALT30 RELAPSE?
9-18-18 confirmed gt 1b relapse
10-16-18 approved 16 weeks Mavyret

Offline Kentucky

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 10:19:18 pm »
While doing some evening research I found something that some people here may find useful as I certainly did. chlorcyclizine There are current studies showing it may be helpful. As I already have allergies I am going to suggest it to my doctor for a possible mean time treatment as it creates no drug resistance. This may be all turn out to be nothing but wanted to share.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.