Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:44:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 100
Total: 100

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scared / Fear of Treatment  (Read 8787 times)

Offline GreenEyzs5

Scared / Fear of Treatment
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:30:03 am »
I start my meds on Friday (Harvoni for 12 Weeks) I have to go to the doctor and do my first pill in front of him then I am on my own.   I have to be honest tonight I have been having feelings of fear of the unknown and what ifs,  I am fraid of not getting cured fear of another let down I have been on many treatments since I was 18  is this normal feelings to be having of fear and scared I am also fearing if any side effects thank you for reading I just needed to get this off my chest

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Scared / Fear of Treatment
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:55:01 am »
Hi and welcome

It is totally normal to have those kinds of fears we all had them the big thing is not to let your fear get in the way of doing what you need to do.

Having courage is not to be without fear it is recognizing that fear and moving forwards anyway in the face of that fear.

I treated 3 times with interferon based treatment once was monotherapy with interferon only and twice with interferon and ribavirin.

I treated last year with Sovaldi and Olysio for 12 weeks and relapsed and treated again with Harvoni and ribavirin 24 weeks Harvoni and 15 weeks Ribavirin added after start of Harvoni. I was tested not detected at 12 weeks post in July going for a 24 week post test in a couple of weeks. But the test at 12 weeks post is said to be the definition of cured I just want to make double sure because of my history.

I only had a couple of mild headaches from the Harvoni I did get anemic from the Ribavirin but I made it through.

You can do it! You will make it! YOU CAN BE CURED!

BELIEVE!

Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Cal

• Cal on Viekira Pak
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:56:17 am »
Hi and welcome,
I am so glad you have come to the forum. Here you will find lots of scared people, lots of relapsers scared of history repeating itself and mostly brave, knowledgable and caring heppers.
If you weren't scared you wouldn't be human my friend. It's an emotional and physical roller coaster .
Previous txs take no prisoners and as in yours, mine, Lynn's and so many of the forumers case spew you out a shivering slightly mad wreck, only to be devastated by relapse. Who wouldn't be scared of that? I am.

I am on tx again and with the support of these good people I am making it through. You will too. There is a much better chance of SVR than ever before. It's a ride worth taking.use your fear and make it knowledge. Support others and allow yourself to be supported.

I'm not telling you that you won't be scared, that's the heppers human condition, but you will be amongst friends who will help you manage the fear. You can do this. Cal  :)
HCV 30 years. Geno 1A.
Veikira Pak with ribas on Compassionate Access.
Brisbane. Australia. began 21.8.15.
17 weeks.  Previous non responder 2011.
V/L 9 million
2 week V/L 54
12 weeks V/L UND
No 17 week  EOT V/L
EOT Post 4 weeks UND.

Offline drummerman

• For those regarded as warriors....
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »
I start my meds on Friday (Harvoni for 12 Weeks) I have to go to the doctor and do my first pill in front of him then I am on my own.   I have to be honest tonight I have been having feelings of fear of the unknown and what ifs,  I am fraid of not getting cured fear of another let down I have been on many treatments since I was 18  is this normal feelings to be having of fear and scared I am also fearing if any side effects thank you for reading I just needed to get this off my chest

Hi GreenEyzs5!

I understand the scared aspect , I just have to keep shoving those thoughts out of my head.  Since you've done this before  you probably already know that this is a lot easier tx than the previous meds.  Why don't you post a signature...just interested in how you have already treated.  I did the riba/interferon and was taken off after not responding.  I can tell you that this time around was easier.  Was it without discomfort?  No, but it was easier.  And from what I am reading about the Harvoni patients , they are feeling the same.

One foot in front of the other, one day at a time.

Hang in there... you've got this.

dm

Diagnosed07
Interferon/riba 2008 - non-responder
5/16/15 - AST -34
ALT - 35_ HCV RNA - 10,783,000
 7/6/15 - started viekira/riba
8/11/15  Week 5 <15 vl,  AST 18, ALT 18
9/11/15 Week 9  "HCV NOT DETECTED"!
AST 16, ALT 11.  10/16/16 - 2 weeks post EOT = "HCV NOT DETECTED!   AST - 18,  ALT 14
12/29/15 -12 wk EOT-HCV NOT DETECTED! AST 23, ALT 15
3/26/16 - 24 wk post EOT - HCV NOT DETECTED!! AST 19, ALT 21
1 yr eot - AST 20, ALT 17

Offline Else

• Appeal, appeal, and appeal again!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:05:08 pm »
Glad you're here GreenEyes.  :)  Harvoni is easy peasy.  Especially if you faced up to the older treatments!  The only negative side-effect I've had is the occasional very mild headache that can be cured with guzzling an 8oz glass of water.

Other side-effects?  Oh yes!  All wonderful.  Joint pain gone, brain fog gone (for the most part), increased energy and appetite.  Really?  Just prepare to feel better!
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
ALT: 58 AST: 39 ALK: 105
Viral load 4,201,950 IU/ml
Fibroscan 6.5 (F1-F2) Fibrosure 0.36 (F1-F2)
Treatment-naive
After 3 denials, finally approved!
Harvoni 12 wks - start date 9/15/15
4 wk labs 10/14/15
ALT: 12 AST: 16 ALK: 85
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
ALT: 13  AST: 15  ALK: 77
12 wk (EOT!) labs 12/8/15
ALT: 11 AST: 15 ALK: 78
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
ALT: 22 AST: 17 ALK: 61
HCV Not Detected!! SVR10!!!
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Boatguy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 06:57:23 pm »
Dont worry about the sides that you may or may not get.

I was the same way.

I just started 3 weeks ago, and VERY minor sides that do not alter my life.
A headache and some nasuea here and there. But nothing terrible.
SOmetime a lil trouble sleeping, but I just catch up on my reading.

You will be fine ... these new meds are the way to go.

And Harvoni is supposed to be the best. Be happy you got it. Mt insu denied it, and made me go with viekera and riba.
Hep c 1A

Pre Tx VL = 5.1 million

ALT and AST always about 2 pts above high normal for last 10 years.

Taking Viekera Pak and 1200 MG Ribavarin daily for 12 weeks.

2 week VL on TX = 18 !!!

4 week VL = UNDETECTED !!!!!!!!!!

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 09:38:24 pm »
You have come to a good place for information, and to talk to others that truly understand what your going through. I have 8 days left on Harvoni and can honestly tell you that I haven't felt this good in 30 years. Joint pain gone, and such an increase in energy that I didn't believe it was possible. The only negatives I had were a few day s when I started of slight headaches, and honestly I am pretty sure I didn't drink enough water: since I started drinking water I haven't even had one headache. Good luck and welcome to the Harvoni train

Scout
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

Offline sabre

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 11:40:31 pm »
Treated 12 weeks with Harvoni and loved every minute of it. I slept great, had an outstanding appetite, and had a lot of energy. I did not have negative side effects other than slight fatigue the first week of treatment. Slight being the operative word.

I absolutely did not dwell on whether it would cure me or not. It's totally out of my control, if I've lived up to my end of the bargain, in terms of taking the pills everyday. The stress of worrying about something that I can't control is a waste of time and can only lead to bad things.

The mind is a powerful thing. Try and flip those negative thoughts into positive ones and you will certainly feel better about your situation. You're taking a drug that has an outstanding cure rate.

Oh, and it cured me, by the way...

Best wishes for you and keep the faith!
Infected 1980 / Diagnosed 2008
GT 1 / Treatment naive / VL 190,000
Biopsy 2008: stage 0 grade 1
Fibroscan 2015: F2 mild fibrosis
Chronic kidney disease (due to HCV) / Proteinuria

12 weeks Harvoni began on 03/28/2015
End of treatment: 06/19/2015
Labs on 06/17/2015: Undetected
Labs on 09/21/2015: Undetected (SVR12)

Offline lin44

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:29:36 am »
I was diagnosed 32 years ago at the age of 21 after turning yellow!
I refused treatment all along the way because I was extremely active healthy. I decided treat with the harvoni after lots of research on my part with genotype and ilb28 confirmation. I started September and I feel great , my digestion was obviously an ignored symptom that I was unaware of because it has improved.
my stats before pill 1
1a /cc
f0-f1
necro a2-3
vl 1million         undetected after 3 weeks
ast 90                50 in 2004  NOW 23  lowest since im 21
alt 100               49 in 2004   NOW  21 lowest

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 11:45:26 pm »
That's a good attitude Sabre,,  when I started my s/o treatment I was so scared and happy,then I started getting into mind game of I'm ok now my first reading is Great! Then I started reading all posts everyday and I started having good and bad days and then I finished a d then I listened to replies of side effects , then, then , Andthens,  I WAS driving myself nuts and after treatment I was good to go but I still started thinking, thinking, thinking (more like dwelling lol) and anything negative I read I instantly applied it to myself so your attitude is good   YOUR IN FOR THE HAUL, stay positive,remember this is something GOOD your trying to do for yourself and THAT'S THAT! It's in the Creators hands, your Drs. Hands  And Your hands and you have some nice people on this site that are just trying to do the same but as we all know we are ALL different in a way or two lol and sometimes what we are trying to say or figure out May be construed differently here and there. My recovery and my thoughts SURE we're on a rollercoaster for a while but now I realize the hard ride for now is over and I don't have to keep buying another ticket for the ride just BECAUSE,, keep on trucking folks,your HERE for a reason       oh and one more BIG thing.  THE TO ALL WHO HELPED ME ON THAT RIDE AND STILL DO!   Just Willie g   GatorFalls

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 11:47:43 pm »
The. The WAS suppose to say THKS!

Offline byebyeC

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 04:20:23 pm »
Hey Green Eyes,

This will be much easier than you imagine. The difficulties that may come along,if any, will be handled by your doc.

Get going, so you can get done! :D

God bless and good luck,
Marianne
GT 1a
VL BOT 7 M
Diagnosed 1980
Treatment naive
12 wk Viekira Pak Riba Started 9/7/15
Alaska 
Pre-treatment labs were ast 42 alt 33 vl 7,162,(eyes are light yellow now)
*Latest alt 19 ast 23! Yay! VL <15 detected

Offline chino1969

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 03:42:23 pm »
Green Eyes,
Have faith.  I went through 24 weeks of Harvoni and am waiting for my 12 week EOT (end of treatment) results.  I've been undetected all through my therapy and 5 weeks after treatment.  I really did not have any side effects to complain of and worked the whole time.  It is natural to be scared but more people are being cured than ever before.  Think positive and realize everyone on this site has experienced what you are going through.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.