Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:29:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 112
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 87
Total: 87

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: questions?  (Read 9988 times)

Offline mgannnn96

questions?
« on: July 25, 2015, 05:02:45 am »
So I've been with my s/o for a couple months and have known the whole time that he has hep c. We have sustained from having sex up until a few days ago. We did not use protection and he hasn't started the cure? Yet because he's still waiting for his insurance to go through. What are the chances of me catching it? Should I get tested? And if so how soon should I get tested? Thanks in advance.

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Re: questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:15:31 am »
From the Hep Lessons:

The risk of becoming infected with HCV through unprotected sexual intercourse is low-but it is still possible. HCV sexual transmission risk is higher among those who are HIV-positive and in men who have sex with men (MSM). Sex with multiple partners, having a sexually transmitted disease, and rough sex may increase the risk of transmitting HCV sexually.

Read more about transmission risks...
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/2619_18755.shtml

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
Re: questions?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:00:25 pm »
Hi,

Always good to be cautious and of course prophylactic protection goes without saying.  However, to put your mind at ease.  I have had the virus for 40 years and for close to twenty of those, did not know it.  My wife of 30 years is not infected in-spite of...well the stuff married people do a lot of.  My two children were conceived during that period.  No one in my family has HCV.  I also know a woman that was infected around the same time period as myself, she has been married even longer than I and has a healthy family...her husband has never been infected.  I have heard other stories like this.  Again, it is still possible, however, I hope this makes you feel a bit better.  Your partner has had to live with a stigma that is difficult.  Having the virus and being worried for the safety of others all the time.  Because we live in a world where most folks are uninformed, and frightened of contracting infectious diseases, an HCV infected person can sometimes feel tainted, and persecuted.  Good luck to you.  We now live in a world where we are on the threshold of stopping this virus once and for all.  It is everybody's fight not just the afflicted.  Peace...
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.