Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:12:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 30 years, no symptoms? Or other route of infection?  (Read 8466 times)

Offline EagleHepType2

30 years, no symptoms? Or other route of infection?
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:48:15 pm »
Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed with Hep C, genotype 2. The only reason I was tested was because during a routine post-breakup STD check I specifically asked after living with a Hep C positive roommate some years ago and reading online that his cured itself on its own.

I don't know how I got this. Via my roommate? Not too likely, right?
Here's the thing, I was born in 1983 in D.C. and had a total blood transfusion within 24 hours of being born.

I've never been tested for Hep C before, at least that I or my parents are aware of, and I've never given blood before. I don't use drugs or engage in any risky sex. I did do oral sex on a girl during her period several years ago. But always used condoms during sex except for the most recent girlfriend (we used an IUD).

All blood tests and liver tests and scans show perfectly normal health. No symptoms. Even after typical college and grad school drinking.

Is it normal to go 32 years without any kind of liver damage from Hep C? Or is it more likely that I got this somehow from my old roommate?

I ask not because of blame, but because I'd like to know if I'm a ticking time bomb or not. It appears that the only treatment for type 2 right now still uses ribavirin and I'd rather not take that since I live in a rather isolated place and don't have the kind of support network that I did previously at home, just in case the side effects are severe. So waiting for a non-ribavirin treatment would be best, but not if that means that I'd have to wait for my liver to start deteriorating.
Apr 1983 - Total Transfusion at Birth
Aug 2015 - Random Testing shows HCV
Sep 2015 - Ultrasound shows F1-2 scarring, A0-1 inflammation
Jan 2016 - Genotype 2 confirmed, HVL 5mil
Oct 2016 - Pre-Tx blood work: ALT 55, AST 42, HVL 6mil
Oct 12 2016 - Epclusa begins!
Nov 16 2016 - Tx Day 29 - Undetected! ALT 39, AST 26

Offline Scoutdoy

Re: 30 years, no symptoms? Or other route of infection?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 12:22:30 am »
Hey Eagle, what your experiencing is very typical. I was infected approx 1985 and showed no symptoms, had perfect health numbers and NEVER would have thought this would be something I would have. It was a routine exam for life insurance that came back positive in 2007.  I never did drugs and didn't live high risk lifestyle but I was in military and got a tattoo while serving. It's really irrelevant though. Now 8 years later I still have good liver numbers and liver biopsy was an f-0. My point is....one can have this disease for 30+ years like myself and have no damage, but others do. Each person is different, but  typically it's a slow progressing disease. There are cures now available, and my personal thought is if you can get treatment,,,,do it. Yes it can be difficult, and you may or may not suffer side effects. But getting rid of this beast before it causes permanent damage is the key I believe. Get a good hep doctor and see what your options are. Luckily 2015 is not like 1995 when so many people went through dreadful treatments, and many didn't work. Technology is kicking ass for hepatitis patients and just because you have hepatitis doesn't mean it's a death sentence. Good luck to you,,,,and it will be ok. You'll make it through this

Scout
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

Offline Onefluover

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 12:46:06 am »
Welcome to the forum, Eagle. Sorry you had to have a transfusion at birth. Prior to 1992 the blood supply was rife with Hep C as there was no economically viable way to test for it. In my opinion the chances are high that this is when you aquired it. Most people go 20, 30, even 40 years without much or any noticeable symptoms, though damage is certainly being done beneath the surface so to speak.

The oral sex thing may also have been the point of entry. Less likely than the transfusion but certainly the risk is there. Our gums and insides of our mouths are always open to viral infection. Brushing our teeth, eating a potato chip easily cause micro scratches and that may be all it needs to enter.

Studies have shown that male to female receptive sex with the male being HCV positive, over many years resulted in only 3 to 5% infection rate for the female and it is not known whether she got infected from some other route.

You have the second rarest genotype in the US. I am currently trying to research any potential patterns on genotype. It is my belief that genotype may hold some clues as to how that infection occurred in those of us who cannot point to an obvious source. For instance, I have GT3. Only one in ten Americans with Hep C have GT3. Whereas in Europe about 50% have GT3.

I suspect that I was infected by my Hep B vaccine. The manufacturer of my vaccine, Nabi Biologicals, (now defunct), was a European company. Did the plasma that my vaccine was manufactured from come from a European doner blood suply? I have not been able to confirm this as yet. I already know that some of the Hep B vaccines were in fact tainted with HCV. If there were zero risk of a Hep C positive persons plasma sneaking into the Hep B vaccine they were making out of that persons blood then that person should have no reason to be banned for life from donating.

But you have come to the best place to learn about what you have. There are many true experts here who know far more than I do about this subject and I'm sure will soon chime in. I wish you well in your quest for knowledge.

Oneflu
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:51:50 am by Onefluover »
51 M HAV/HBV Im., HCV-G3a
Fibrospect 2 <16 (F0/1) VL 4M
Expsd 1984-1992 (?) dx 1992
First tx attempt 2015
Liver 18.6 cm, relatively course & echogenic w/ diffuse hepatocellular process. 
Abnormal labs: ALT 163, AST 73, Chol 118, HDL Chol 30, IGA .05, Ferritin 648, Iron Bind Cap 296, Iron Sat 60%
Signs & symptoms: Freq. severe headache, very high BP, abdominal pain, distentia, joint pain, dbl vis., white nails, Schamberg's Dis., nausea, mild Jaundice, dark urine, non-hereditary Hemochromatosis.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 12:49:14 am »
Hi Eagle, and welcome to the forums! :)

Regarding treatment options available for Genotype 2, there are now 2 options available:

1. Solvaldi+ribavirin for 12 weeks

OR…

2. Sovaldi+Daklinza for 12 weeks

Here is a good chart showing all of the approved treatments for all the genotypes:
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/2512_18756.shtml

Depending on who your insurer is, you may have to make a case for why you need to avoid ribavirin and have the Daklinza instead - e.g., a prior history of depression, bipolar, anxiety, PTSD, anemia (any of which could potentially be re-initiated or worsened by ribavirin).

At least the cure is here now for us.

best,
kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.