Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:02:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 143
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: anyone get a letter from Dr. for insurance purposes, showing hep C gone?  (Read 8566 times)

Offline apache

When I first spoke with my gastroenterologist back in January, she said that after a successful course of treatment, they'd give me a letter... stating that I no longer had Hep C (in case life insurance or others wanted proof).

But yesterday (after I got my SVR12 results), my MD's office is now singing a different tune, saying "For any party who questions or needs to know in the future, your HCV viral load should be rechecked at that time as documentation."

I should point out that the latest reply is coming from a RN, not from my MD (who is out on maternity leave).

I've been to several different medical practices over the years (with different databases), and I really don't want to get blood drawn at each just to prove I've cleared HCV.

So, I'm just wondering if any of y'all have received a formal letter that proves your HCV clearance?   

Thanks,
-Ted

Offline dragonslayer

I would think that being able to produce an SVR12 result showing you dont have the virus would be enough to prove just that: that you dont have the virus!
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline Bituman

I have been thinking a lot about this lately.  I would like to have access to life insurance, but I don't think being cured of HCV infection will improve my chances.  I was diagnosed with cancer exactly 40 years ago today.  After surgery and 2 yrs of chemo, cancer was gone.  I have never been able to get a life insurance policy outside of the one that comes along with my job.  I have reflected on this over the years and it's almost like the insurance company knew something bad might have come along for the ride while I was getting cured of cancer.  Let's say for example, a chronic infection resulting from the blood they transfused me with in August 1975.  I think the insurance companies were smart enough to anticipate this.  For people like me, they either turned us down or rated the policy so high that it was unaffordable.  Now despite the fact that I have been treated and quite probably cured of that chronic infection, I think the story will remain much the same. 

The only good news (sort of) is that I'm getting older, 59 and counting, and my need for life insurance is diminishing.  I guess the better news is that I haven't needed life insurance!  The insurance companies made shrewd and outstanding business decisions by refusing people like me. They have world class statisticians.  But that doesn't mean I have to like or respect them. 

I am going to pursue something in writing too.  But I don't think it will mean much.

Good luck Apache.

Bob
Age = 59, male, infected likely 1975
DX 07/07 GT 1a
Biopsy 2007:  GR 1, stage 0, HAI = 2/18
Since 2007:  1.48 MM < VL < 11 MM, avg = 5.64 MM
IL28B=CT
1/26/15, AST=43, ALT=55, VL=3.59 MM
2/5 Start Harvoni 12 weeks; Treat naive
2/20 AST=29, ALT=24, VL=59
3/6 AST=29, ALT=25, VL<15
3/19 AST=24, ALT=22, VL=undet
4/3 AST=29, ALT=25, VL=undet
4/30 EOT, AST=22, ALT=20, VL=undet
5/29 EOT+4, AST=20, ALT=19, VL=undet SVR
7/24 EOT+12, AST=23, ALT=18, VL=undet SVR
10/16 EOT+24, AST=22, ALT=17, VL=undet SVR

Offline Tess1971

• G2b, 12wk Sov/Riba, End 11/15/14 UD, SVR-5,14 & 32-UD
I got a letter from my GP showing some test results and stating that I had cleared the virus.  This was done after having blood work at 32 weeks.
As far as life insurance I carried over just a basic one from work when I retired which is not a lot, but, was cheap and is paid up now.  I also have another small whole life that my parents took out for me in the 60s.
You can check with some of the larger insurers that also do home and car etc.  If you are over 50 I bet you can find something through AARP.

Offline hepcme

I get a letter from my insurance co United Health Care AARP medicare advantage plan...they have this in home inspection ???  lol  they come to the house to look at ya I think...they even give you a $25 walmart gift card to participate...I haven't had one but you made me think as I just go another notice and three phone calls I have not responded to about how i like my plan...leave me alone and I will like it....I know they can access this information almost immediately with technology and spy-ware...give me a break...they just want in my house...
paranoid anne

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.