Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:33:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Getting rid of sugar  (Read 15305 times)

Offline HazelAustralia

Getting rid of sugar
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:46:16 pm »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any practical tips about getting rid of sugar out of your diet? I have been wanting to do that but I can't get a plan together that I have been able to implement. Any ideas or stories about your experience would be really welcome.

best wishes
H.
Female age 53
Australia
Contracted in the 1980's
Genotype 1A
VL 314k

Started treatment with Veikira Pak and Ribaviron on Thursday 17th December 2015
NOT DETECTED, End of Treatment, 16th March 2016

Offline Kentucky

Re: Getting rid of sugar
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:34:37 am »
Sugar is extremely hard to get out of your diet. Its found in the most unexpected places like white bread and gatorade. I've been controlling my sugar intake by cooking my own food. It takes a little longer but you have more control of what you are eating. Most of my worries of sugar come from high fructose corn syrup and regular sugar. Look into a more diabetic diet and that will help you.

Best wishes,
Kentucky

Offline Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 08:18:52 pm »
Hi HazelAustralia,

Carbohydrates are complex sugars and converted to glucose by bodies.

Glucose is sugar. If you reduce your carb intake, you will reduce your sugar levels.

Rice, pasta, bread, starch and potatoes are all very high in carbs (sugar), as are sugary drinks, candy and so on.

To reduce glucose levels (blood sugar), you need to reduce the amount of carbs eaten per day. Carbs are in everything. Counting carbs is a good practice.

I'm a diabetic and try to keep my daily carb intake below 100.

To do this, I don't ear sweets and watch my intake of bread, rice, pasta and starches (potatoes, corn and so on). I also watch my fruit intake and don't drink fruit juice.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Jorah

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 04:19:51 pm »
Easy to say but not easy to do.... ;D     but
Don't eat flour products, sugar products and processed food. Not easy in today's society where every nastiness is promoted on TV, media etc. some salad dressings the first item is sugar. ::)
I do have some fruits but try to stay away from the very sweet ones...
The closest I come to processed starches is 1 oz of dry oatmeal in the morning or fibre one sweeten with sucralose.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:58:43 pm by Jorah »

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 04:51:59 pm »
I read labels and try not to buy items with more than 4 gr. sugar and it depends on what type of sugar.  I try to stay away from the artificial sweeteners and use stevia almost exclusively.  I order my stevia from Amazon in liquid form and keep refrigerated.  They have flavors like vanilla creme, chocolate... all kinds of flavors (the plain one is not my favorite).  I use it to sweeten coffee, tea, yogurt (buy plan and sweeten with stevia), oatmeal, you name it.  It also comes in powder form for cooking and packets for on the go. Some people like it, some don't. This has dramatically reduced sugar intake.

Google "smart sweeteners" and you kind find out a lot of alternatives.  Another thing I do is order miracle noodles... it's pasta without carbs and sugars.  There's a knack to learning how to use it as a substitute. 

I try to snack on things like almond butter which gives me a sweet fix without the sugar load.

I still do eat sugars but have dramatically reduced intake by using the steps above.  Good luck!
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline Lukey

• Let Thy Food Be Thy Medicine
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 04:29:49 am »
Its not hard to get sugar out of diet if you eat whole foods like I have for 33 years. the only sugar I eat is in fresh fruit and veggies. I just eat "bland" foods and I don't mind it a bit. After a while you appreciate whole foods more and you don't mind not having sugar. I just eat animal proteins, eggs, cultured dairy & veggies, veggies, fruit, nuts, and seeds. I don't eat legumes or grains.
Male -  HCV since 1982 - Born 1951 ~ Geno 1a

Did 8 weeks of Harvoni in 2015. Got normal AST & ALT and undetected VL by week 5, then relapsed 4 weeks post.
-----------------------------------------------------------
July 5, 2018 : began 12 weeks of Vosevi with a VL of 540,000 and AST & ALT of 65 and 105.
2 weeks in : AST 19, ALT 20
5 weeks in : AST 18, ALT 12, VL "<15 detected"
10 weeks in : AST 19, ALT 14, VL "<15 not detected"
4 weeks post : "<15 not detected"

Offline Mike

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 05:23:22 pm »
That's pretty much my diet as well (though I watch the fruits).

Best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:37:34 am by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline sapphire101

• "Stop worrying and start living"
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 12:23:15 am »
Hazel I was soooooo good about staying away from sugar during treatment and now I have done plenty of backsliding.
You are inspiring me to get back to my health habits again.

Sugar is hard on our livers and I started by eliminating all added sugar (even honey, agave, stevia) and carefully reading labels to avoid corn syrups. Then expanded this to include staying away from white refined flours and pastas.

I kept whole fruits and avoided juices. Included high fiber grains and nuts even though this has some fats.

Bree where do I find these 'miracle noodles'?
Sapphire101
Genotype 1a Fibrosis level 1
Viekira Pak with ribavirin 12 weeks
Pre treatment  VL  1.7 million, AST 45 ALT 65
EOT VL not detected, AST 21 ALT 21
12 week SVR not detected,24 week SVR not detected.
Cured! Class of 2015

Offline MaryC

• Life is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:38:56 pm »
Eliminating sugar would be such a huge deprivation for me!  No alcohol - not a problem!  Low fat - not a problem since I really don't enjoy fat-laden or greasy food anyway.  But say goodbye to sugar?!?  I read somewhere that the liver treats sugar like alcohol and it can be equally damaging!

My diet consists of mainly whole foods, lots of fruit and vegetables, but I always have a little chocolate or sugary treat every day.  Something I enjoy and look forward to.  I've never thought much about it since I don't have a problem with my weight, but now, as I am trying to protect my Hep C- damaged liver, I am wondering if I need to cut back or even give it up??
GT 3a
Dx'd 4/15 not known when contracted
Labs 7/15:
-VL 537,000
-AST 32
-ALT 41
-Fibrosis score 0.46 (F1-F2)
Started tx 9/17/2015 with Daklinza + Sovaldi
6/6/16: 24 week EOT SVR!  Cured!

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 04:17:02 pm »
As with most things, moderation is key. Sugar is no exception. A piece of candy or chocolate once in while won't damage the liver.

However, excessive sugar (including carbs, which are compound sugars) can impact liver health.

Simply put, sugar is converted to glucose and used by the body as energy. Glucose that is not burned off or utilized as energy is quickly converted to cellulose i.e., fat.

Fat is stored throughout the body, including the liver. Fat stored in the liver can cause damage at the cellular level and lead to scarring (fibrosis and cirrhosis) and is called fatty liver disease.

We know HCV can damage the liver. Indeed, we know that HCV does not need any additional help in the process i.e.,  fatty liver disease + HCV =  :(.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Jorah

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 04:33:06 pm »

There are 2 types of these noodles, one is made out of tofu another made from a yam (glucomann) they're both very low calorie and low carb. Keep in mind its not like a regular pasta noodle but if you're on a low carb diet it does the trick.  They're commonly known as shirataki noodles. Here's a link to give you an idea.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 05:16:08 pm »

Sapphire, I just saw your question on this thread.  Congrats, by the way, on SVR.  That's awesome!  J

Jorah added a great link with info on low calorie, low carb noodles.  They don't taste exactly like regular noodles but I like them and it gives me a pasta fix.  They take on the flavor of whatever sauce or veggie or whatever you mix them with.  You can google Miracle Noodle and see their website and how to prepare, etc.  I find Amazon has them cheaper with free shipping.  I would say try to get them or something similar at a health food store to try them and see if you like them.  Nasoya light has a nice brand of Shirataki noodles but those stay refrigerated so shipping is expensive... unless you local health food store has them.  There is also the tofu noodles. 
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline sapphire101

• "Stop worrying and start living"
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 10:52:59 pm »
Congrats right back at you Bree your numbers are looking mighty fine!
I have looked at the local health food stores without success. Thank you Jorah for link and I may have to go cyber shopping.
I will report back once I try them.

Been laying low lately and not on the forum much. Knocked down by another virus - this time the common cold. It has been well over two years since I have been this sick.  ???
Maybe big pharma can take on this challenge next.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:54:31 pm by sapphire101 »
Sapphire101
Genotype 1a Fibrosis level 1
Viekira Pak with ribavirin 12 weeks
Pre treatment  VL  1.7 million, AST 45 ALT 65
EOT VL not detected, AST 21 ALT 21
12 week SVR not detected,24 week SVR not detected.
Cured! Class of 2015

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.