Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:12:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 100
Total: 100

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just informed of hep c screening result  (Read 7637 times)

Offline aj

Just informed of hep c screening result
« on: September 08, 2015, 06:45:44 pm »
I have been battleing health problems for some time.  Mid 50's, white male.  Sepsis and abnormal blood results.  Just diagnosed with diabetes.  They did an MRI and found stones in my common bile duct now almost 16 years after my gallbladder removal.  They did an ECRP yesterday and the duct was seriously blocked, one stone 12mm.  ECRP was successful.  Then when they were going to release me today they tell me I came back positive on a hep c screening and more blood was drawn and sent to a lab for definitive testing.  They said I was 2.2 and 0-1 is normal.  My AST was 302 when I was admitted on 9/3 and now is 64.  My ALT was 319 and is now 141.  My creatinine was 1.44 on 9/3 and is now 1.22.  Globulin is high...hemoglobin low,, K low.....all the liver enzymes elevated.  I'm hoping for a negative test, meaning the screen was false positive, but not sure if that is a realistic hope.  No idea how I got it if its positive.

P.S.:  I am really freaking out over this.  What did any of you have for a test number the initial time?  2.2 is pretty high, I suppose?  I'd just like to get an idea where I'm headed.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:59:38 pm by aj »

Offline TexasC+

Re: Just informed of hep c screening result
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 08:55:31 pm »
My alt and ast were in the 270's. They are now normal . I am on meds for hep c treatment.
I can not speak for everyone but I was devastated when I got the first lab results that I had hep C. It is natural to be upset, wonder when and how you got it and fear the unknown.
The good news is it is now treatable. It is CURABLE.
They will check to see what type of Hep c you have. That's the genotype. You will also get a viral load. That is how many of the virus are in a certain portion of blood. It is scary to process. Most  stuff I have read and my doctor explained that viral load high or low is not an indicator f if you can be cured. They use the genotype and viral load information to select the drug and length of treatment.
Best advice I can offer is take care of yourself, eat healthy, rest, drink lots of water, avoid alcohol and meds that can effect your liver.
Treatments do have side effects and it tough to balance treatment and living your life BUT it is doable.
Take a breath, regroup, start learning about Hep C and stay connected to a support system.
Good luck
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million
unknown date of infection
Sovaldi and ribaviron  24 weeks started 6/1/15
End of treatment date 11/15/2015 VND last 2 labs
3 month follow up 2/22/16 NEGATIVE !! NOT DETECTED

Offline aj

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:26:35 am »
What are the genotypes and what do they mean?

I don't smoke or drink and had to give up caffeine and carbonated beverages several months ago because they bothered my health so much. I don't eat enough greens and have had too many carbs in my diet and now in diabetic, low carb, 2000 calorie diet. The diabetes is gonna dictate my diet. The only greens I like is iceberg lettuce, but it's coarseness has caused me digestive problems at times. 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »
The best thing is to wait for the result - yes, it can still be negative.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.