Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:16:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 127
Total: 128

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: my experience with harvoni approval  (Read 8529 times)

Offline mae1234

my experience with harvoni approval
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:54:20 pm »
Hi All,

Just took my first pill and wanted to share my experience with the approval process.

I have BCBS.  After verifying my genotype, fibroscan of F0, 323,xxx (i forget the term for this, the amount of virus detected?), I was approved for harvoni!  My insurance uses Prime Theraputics for dispensing this medication. I got a call from them yesterday and received my meds today. I feel so very blessed!  After a bit of anxiety about actually taking it (wondering about side effects and possible side effects down the road that may not have been identified since it's so new) I swallowed my first pill.  I feel like the prospect of not fearing I will transmit this virus to my husband, kids, etc, outways the possible side effects.

I will chronicle my experience with side effects on this thread, if anyone is interested? 

I also feel blessed to have found this forum.  Lots of good people with good information to share.  Thank you to all who have shared as I don't feel alone right now.

One thing I wonder, I am afraid to ask the doctor, harvoni and marijuana...anyone have real knowledge about this?  Of course, I know I should abstain until I have answers for fear it may interfere with the meds.  Maybe I should start a new thread?

Offline hepboy1

Re: my experience with harvoni approval
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:15:27 pm »
hello welcome  im on my 9th day  everyone seems to have different effects   im a hypersensitive  but am doing better than expected   the first 2 days has loose stools   headaches ( minor  )energy and fatigue up and down  but that's good cause I was down before   my mind fog memory clearing  up some  im sinning against the fear Gods  and going against the status quo  im convinced people who shun all vitamins supplements etc   have far more greater problems  but what do I kno   so im  taking  my milk thistle and methionine 10 -12 hours after harvoni  along with b complex   selenium    c   a   and lecithin  eating a lot of turmeric  drinking some green tea as well with lots of water also and beans eating a ton of beans   I got stage 4 cirrhosis    my blood pressure has went from 140  /100   to 126 /80 so the  harvoni is working despite my supplementation I read 2 other who took milk thistle and they had no or minor sides both are considered cured    oh by the way im not recommending supplements  just telling you my story  how im rolling  by all means trust your doctor im just a rebel

Offline Else

• Appeal, appeal, and appeal again!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 01:45:15 am »
Wow, Mae.  Consider yourself blessed that your approval was effortless despite a F-0 fibroscan.  That's amazing.

Re: smoking weed.  Why take the chance?  Having HCV is too dangerous and you have an excellent shot at getting cured.  You're not going to find any literature out there - the anti-viral medications are too new.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
ALT: 58 AST: 39 ALK: 105
Viral load 4,201,950 IU/ml
Fibroscan 6.5 (F1-F2) Fibrosure 0.36 (F1-F2)
Treatment-naive
After 3 denials, finally approved!
Harvoni 12 wks - start date 9/15/15
4 wk labs 10/14/15
ALT: 12 AST: 16 ALK: 85
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
ALT: 13  AST: 15  ALK: 77
12 wk (EOT!) labs 12/8/15
ALT: 11 AST: 15 ALK: 78
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
ALT: 22 AST: 17 ALK: 61
HCV Not Detected!! SVR10!!!
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:57:37 am »
Congrats Mae1234!  So glad you were able to get the treatment... sometimes just getting it is a bigger challenge than the treatment.

Re:  Weed.  My two cents. I try not to tell others what to do but some insurance companies test patients for substances (or have the right to) during treatment.  I don't agree with it... check on what you may have signed when you received the treatment.  Often there is a clause in there giving them that right to drug test and this could end your treatment.  I read one case where that caused a denial from even getting it because they tested positive for weed. 

People on the forums have different opinions about supplements, drugs, herbs, supplements, etc.  I don't drink or smoke... I still chose to err on the side of caution in general... this is just way to important to me.
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline MaryC

• Life is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 11:45:28 am »
Hi All,

Just took my first pill and wanted to share my experience with the approval process.

I have BCBS.  After verifying my genotype, fibroscan of F0, 323,xxx (i forget the term for this, the amount of virus detected?), I was approved for harvoni!  My insurance uses Prime Theraputics for dispensing this medication. I got a call from them yesterday and received my meds today. I feel so very blessed!  After a bit of anxiety about actually taking it (wondering about side effects and possible side effects down the road that may not have been identified since it's so new) I swallowed my first pill.  I feel like the prospect of not fearing I will transmit this virus to my husband, kids, etc, outways the possible side effects.

I will chronicle my experience with side effects on this thread, if anyone is interested? 

I also feel blessed to have found this forum.  Lots of good people with good information to share.  Thank you to all who have shared as I don't feel alone right now.

One thing I wonder, I am afraid to ask the doctor, harvoni and marijuana...anyone have real knowledge about this?  Of course, I know I should abstain until I have answers for fear it may interfere with the meds.  Maybe I should start a new thread?

Congrats Mae1234!  Sounds like your approval process went well.  It is unusual be approved the first request - yours is a great (and very wise) insurance provider. 

I have to agree with others here re: use of marijuana.  I, personally, try to eat healthy and only take approved vitamins or supplements (my specialty pharmacist gave me the ok for milk thistle and multivits).  I never smoked, but used to drink an occasional glass of wine with dinner which I have cut out entirely.  I want to give my liver the full opportunity to fight this virus (with the help of the meds) and recover!

I happen to be GT 3 so am on Sovaldi (one of the drugs in Harvoni) and Daklinza.  I can tell you that I have not had any noticeable sides.

Best of luck to you on your journey!
Mary
GT 3a
Dx'd 4/15 not known when contracted
Labs 7/15:
-VL 537,000
-AST 32
-ALT 41
-Fibrosis score 0.46 (F1-F2)
Started tx 9/17/2015 with Daklinza + Sovaldi
6/6/16: 24 week EOT SVR!  Cured!

Offline mae1234

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:54:55 pm »
Well, I will be taking my 4th pill tonight.  I have not noticed any side effects.  Maybe a little anxiety but, that could be in my head. 

I feel so lucky and feel bad for posting how quickly I obtained this medication, knowing that others are having such a hard time.  I wish you all a positive outcome. 

Offline Else

• Appeal, appeal, and appeal again!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:06:03 pm »
Don't feel bad for posting good news!  ;D  And it's very good news.  If there's a rhyme or reason to this approval process I'd like to know what it is!  Just remember to drink tons of water.  Odds are you won't have any side-effects at all.
F/53 yr
diagnosed 1995
Genotype 1a
ALT: 58 AST: 39 ALK: 105
Viral load 4,201,950 IU/ml
Fibroscan 6.5 (F1-F2) Fibrosure 0.36 (F1-F2)
Treatment-naive
After 3 denials, finally approved!
Harvoni 12 wks - start date 9/15/15
4 wk labs 10/14/15
ALT: 12 AST: 16 ALK: 85
HCV Not Detected!!!
8 wk labs 11/10/15
ALT: 13  AST: 15  ALK: 77
12 wk (EOT!) labs 12/8/15
ALT: 11 AST: 15 ALK: 78
HCV Not Detected!!!
10wk posttx labs 2/11/16
ALT: 22 AST: 17 ALK: 61
HCV Not Detected!! SVR10!!!
SVR10 (99.7% Cured!!!)

Offline MaryC

• Life is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 05:40:19 pm »
Well, I will be taking my 4th pill tonight.  I have not noticed any side effects.  Maybe a little anxiety but, that could be in my head. 

I feel so lucky and feel bad for posting how quickly I obtained this medication, knowing that others are having such a hard time.  I wish you all a positive outcome. 

Mae1234,
I think it is a good sign that you were approved quickly for your medication.  Possibly others will be as well.  The more of us treated, the better!

I felt kind of anxious at first too...I didn't know what to expect.  Now after more than 4 weeks, I just am happy to have my medications and feel confident I will be cured! 

Mary
GT 3a
Dx'd 4/15 not known when contracted
Labs 7/15:
-VL 537,000
-AST 32
-ALT 41
-Fibrosis score 0.46 (F1-F2)
Started tx 9/17/2015 with Daklinza + Sovaldi
6/6/16: 24 week EOT SVR!  Cured!

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 08:35:09 pm »
Hi Mae1234, Ihave bcbs also & was drug tested before being approved for Harvoni.My fibroscan is f2/3  & for this reason bcbs will not approve 12 wks tx only 8 wks.Taking my last pill tonight till the peer review after 2 denials for final month.A lady named Lateesha is in charge of determining my fate.she got an epic voicemail today!I wish I could have saved it to share ...I had bullet points to stay on track but I just freaked out towards the end..crying please help me.I do not want to relapse & my Dr.is determined to help me get what I deserve.I wonder what expertise she  has with Hep c treatments.I am really happy that you were able to get it.You deserve a healthy life!
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
Started Harvoni Sept. 5, 2015
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
12 wks.post tx.feb.11,2016
UNDETECTED!!!
24 wks. post tx. may 16,2016
UNDETECTED Fibroscan  F-0!!!!!

Offline JAF

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:40:20 pm »
Mae1234 I was approved quickly for Sovaldi + Ribavirin. We are lucky and I think the pharmaceutical companies are being to realize it will be cost effective in the long run to treat us early on. Also other companies are testing newer drugs and if approved, will bring the cost of these meds down. I was discouraged when I was diagnosed GT2a.  I was hoping to avoid ribavirin but lucky 16 days in and I've only had minor symptoms. Hoping it stays this way. Your treatment, without the Ribavirin should be easy. Good luck to you, stay positive and keep posting.
Female; 56; New York
Infected: mid 70's
Diagnosed: 2000
Treatment naive
Began Sovaldi + riba (1200 mgs) on 10/15/15
GT 2b
PRE-TREATMENT:
VL: 2,412,570
AST: 50
ALT:  52
Fibrospect index: 42

4 wk labs done 11-14. Waiting for results

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.