Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:30:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: week 4 showing viral load 15. Doc blames lab.  (Read 9321 times)

Offline mvnwy

week 4 showing viral load 15. Doc blames lab.
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:14:28 pm »
Hi, this is my first post since beginning Harvoni treatment 4 and half weeks ago.  I just received my first lab results over the phone and my doctor's medical assistant just told me I am detectable at 15.  They have had "several" people test at CPL which is the lab I used who have had the exact same result...15!!   then retested within a couple of days at Labcorp... and been UNDECTABLE. 

I am very frustrated because:

No one told me not to go to CPL

Doc believes I'm undetectable too so is assuming I only need 8 weeks of treatment and will not test me again until 12 weeks post treatment!

Medical assistant says insurance companies are not paying for those second "non-CPL" tests and the test is expensive, therefore is not ordering that second test for me at Labcorp. 

I am thinking about what I should ask/demand at my next doctor appointment in two weeks.  Very frustrated with the seeming bumbling in the dark approach.

Anyone else have any experience like this?

I have had Hep C since 1973, can't remember all my stats but doc says my viral load was low pre treatment (relatively... was in the low millions) and biopsies have always been 0/0 until last one which was "low" 2/2 according to doc, whatever "low" means. 

thanks for any input. 

Offline sapphire101

• "Stop worrying and start living"
Re: week 4 showing viral load 15. Doc blames lab.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 12:43:17 pm »
What is CPL?
Is this a national lab chain?

No matter what the answer my advice would be to retest sooner at Labcorp even if you have to pay for it. I would not want to wait until many weeks after treatment ends to find out. 
Especially if your doctor could extend your 8 week treatment to 12 weeks depending on the answer. One big lesson I have learned on this journey is to never assume anything!

Best of luck to you mvnwy, most likely our more educated forum moderators will chime in and give you the facts. I am talking from emotions and mine do run high sometimes I admit  ::)
Sapphire101
Genotype 1a Fibrosis level 1
Viekira Pak with ribavirin 12 weeks
Pre treatment  VL  1.7 million, AST 45 ALT 65
EOT VL not detected, AST 21 ALT 21
12 week SVR not detected,24 week SVR not detected.
Cured! Class of 2015

Offline luccagirl

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 04:28:19 pm »
i just joined this forum today and also looking for other's experiences, i was tested at 3 weeks (on 8 week protocol) and VL dropped from 5m to 54--and liver enzymes remained elevated but not super high, so i asked my Doctor to try to get authorization to extend to 12 weeks which they did.  I was surprised that it got approved without a lot of hassle, because i lost 2 appeals and then won the independent one to get treated at all.  I will also be tested again at 8 weeks and assuming i will be clear but take it another month anyway..

anyone else? 

I'm Gentoype 1a and fibrous F1

Offline luccagirl

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:29:32 pm »
i just joined this forum today and also looking for other's experiences, i was tested at 3 weeks (on 8 week protocol) and VL dropped from 5m to 54--and liver enzymes remained elevated but not super high, so i asked my Doctor to try to get authorization to extend to 12 weeks which they did.  I was surprised that it got approved without a lot of hassle, because i lost 2 appeals and then won the independent one to get treated at all.  I will also be tested again at 8 weeks and assuming i will be clear but take it another month anyway..

anyone else? 

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:22:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum Luccagirl!   I see some that have tests at two weeks and there is still some virus left and then at 4 weeks or after it shows UND.   Anyway, glad you got the extra month.  That's awesome!  I tend to think more is better for best chance of a cure.  Sometimes I think those that relapse didn't get treatment quite long enough.  Best of luck and see you on the forum!   
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 05:29:48 pm »
 Welcome mvnwy, I just wanted to say welcome to the forum.  Yes, I hope you can ask your doctor for more labs sooner even if they use the CPL lab again due to inconsistencies in results for your own peace of mind if nothing else.  Was the one at Labcorp a new blood sample?  A couple of days can make a big difference in showing slightly detected and then to UND.
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline mvnwy

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 07:24:33 pm »
Thank you so much, Bree and Sapphire101 for the welcome!   :D

I am not sure if I'm replying correctly... to Sapphire 101, yes, CPL is a chain of labs.  I called my insurance company after I posted here and was told there is NO LIMIT  to how many times I can be tested to see if treatment is working.  I will call a few more times and see if I get the same answer, lol... been given incorrect info too many times to trust the first call.  And a friend who works in the medical field said labs will lower the fee for self-pay so it shouldn't be that expensive even if I do end up paying. 

Either way, I will insist on a new test for this 4 week mark.  This doctor has been rather cavalier with my health in the past as well and I stayed with him for the Harvoni treatment simply because it is such a nightmare to change doctors and i really thought this protocol was pretty straight forward.  I'm finding out each doc does something different. 

And yes, Bree, all the new labs for all the patients that scored 15 at CPL had new blood draws at Labcorp.  And they all were UND at Labcorp. 

Offline april

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 07:35:08 pm »
I am on my last week of the 12 week treatment plan. I have been undetectable since week 4. Undetectable at week 8. I am assuming they will retest me 90 days post treatment. Minumal side effects, been getting headaches lately, but not too bad. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
anyone else? 

Hep C
Geno type 1a
VL  1,800,000
f2
1999 Interferone/riba- non responder
2002 peg/riba- non responder
2006 peg/riba/study drug NM283-relapsed
July 1, 2015 started harvoni (12 weeks)
5th week labs undetected
EOT 9/23/15
90 days after treatment SVR
180 days after treatment SVR
considered cured

Offline april

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 07:38:01 pm »

anyone else? 

Hep C
Geno type 1a
VL  1,800,000
f2
5th week labs undetected
EOT 9/23/15
considered cured

Offline april

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 07:38:40 pm »
I am on my last week of the 12 week treatment plan. I have been undetectable since week 4. Undetectable at week 8. I am assuming they will retest me 90 days post treatment. Minumal side effects, been getting headaches lately, but not too bad. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
Hep C
Geno type 1a
VL  1,800,000
f2
5th week labs undetected
EOT 9/23/15
considered cured

Offline byebyeC

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 09:17:06 pm »
Congratulations mvnwy on getting extended!

It does sound like the longer protocol is better for SVR, so cheers to you :D
GT 1a
VL BOT 7 M
Diagnosed 1980
Treatment naive
12 wk Viekira Pak Riba Started 9/7/15
Alaska 
Pre-treatment labs were ast 42 alt 33 vl 7,162,(eyes are light yellow now)
*Latest alt 19 ast 23! Yay! VL <15 detected

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.