Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:53:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 104
Total: 104

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can anyone tell us what is it the liver does differently post hep c  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Sheltonmj

• New at this
Can anyone tell us what is it the liver does differently post hep c?
I mean I felt like such a zombie for so long and now life is so much better.
I am on day 18.
 I just wondered what was it our livers did not produce or not produce enough of while the virus is active. .
 If this makes sense.
Been infected since early 80s
W male
Genotype 1a
 F4 cirosis
 Vl 4,000,000

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Can anyone tell us what is it the liver does differently post hep c
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:39:59 pm »
Shelton, here is a clear page on what a healthy liver does:
http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/tc/what-the-liver-does-topic-overview
and here is a page about what a liver infected with hepatitis can't do (jump down to "Complications of Hepatitis"):
http://www.healthline.com/health/hepatitis#Prevention7
Mainly, the damaged liver can't clear toxins and fluids from the body, which results in all sorts of serious problems, including feeling like a zombie.
With treatment, the liver becomes healthier than it's been for years, so it can get rid of those toxins and fluids again.
There may be more, but that's as much as I know.
Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Onefluover

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:28:47 pm »
My expererience -and I may be wrong about some of this is that as mentioned above, progressively looses its ability to metabolize and or remove numerous toxins among many other problems. The toxin in chocolate that can be fatal to pets can also cause harm to us especially if our livers are compromised. The result may be severe headache.

Same with alcohol. Half of a simple beer can cause me extreme headache. Smog, perfumes, cleaning chems, even the breath of a pickled person near by me trigger headache.

The inability to properly metabolize iron can lead to non-hereditary hemochromotosis which further damages liver and other organs, which in turn can lead to high blood pressure and all the other problems associated with that and iron overload which can cause Schamberg's Disease which is iron spots on feet and legs cause by high blood pressure pushing iron rich blood to suface of skin where it leaks theogh the capularies and litterally rusts into tiny orange/brown spots similar to "liver spots" but not the same thing.

Another is the increasing inability to shed copper which leads to Wilsons-like Disease which damages your brain, eyes and further, your liver.

Frosty white nail-beds or "blue nails". There are so many things that Hep C is at the root of that once you have cleared the virus many of these issues or ailments may or could or should begin to clear up at least to some degree. I have all of these signs and symptoms and I am convinced they are more or less a result of my Hep C infection.

And likewise I am hopeful and confidant that much of it will reduce or clear up if I am one day cured of Hep C.

So what it would do differantly is hopefully repair itself to a stage of being better able to handle the new toxins and much of the buildup of the old to answer your question kind of.

Will it give me a better, happier smile, make me more attractive looking, run faster, jump higher, smarter, treated better, wealthier? Well, actually, I suppose yes it really could.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:51:26 pm by Onefluover »
51 M HAV/HBV Im., HCV-G3a
Fibrospect 2 <16 (F0/1) VL 4M
Expsd 1984-1992 (?) dx 1992
First tx attempt 2015
Liver 18.6 cm, relatively course & echogenic w/ diffuse hepatocellular process. 
Abnormal labs: ALT 163, AST 73, Chol 118, HDL Chol 30, IGA .05, Ferritin 648, Iron Bind Cap 296, Iron Sat 60%
Signs & symptoms: Freq. severe headache, very high BP, abdominal pain, distentia, joint pain, dbl vis., white nails, Schamberg's Dis., nausea, mild Jaundice, dark urine, non-hereditary Hemochromatosis.

Offline Sheltonmj

• New at this
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:28:40 pm »
Fascinating answer.
 This gives me the insight I really was interested in.
 I now am going to study how to help the body rid itself of toxins.
 This explains so much.
  Why I feel bad a few days after the gym.
    And The whole zombie thing.
 So I know water is a big key to toxins.
 I was told to stay away from vitamins generally till my tx ends.
 Now I need to figure what else I can do because this feeling good thing is spot on for me!

Been infected since early 80s
W male
Genotype 1a
 F4 cirosis
 Vl 4,000,000

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.